Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 2:05:31 PM EDT
Wonder if they are going to sell cheap American made crap in their Walmarts.....

Wal-Mart to open 15 new stores in China

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-05/18/content_443395.htm

(Agencies)
Updated: 2005-05-18 08:49

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, said it will expand its network in China dramatically this year while also boosting its export business from the country.

The US-based giant plans to open up to 15 stores in China by the end of 2005, chief executive John Menzer told the Fortune Global Forum in Beijing.

"Right now China, percentage-wise, is our fastest growing market," he said, one day before Wal-Mart was to open a store in Beijing, its 46th in China.

Wal-Mart buys toys, footwear and seasonal goods from China, making it "our largest export country," he said.

Menzer forecast that its importance would continue to grow, with direct and indirect China exports rising to 18 US$billion this year.

"That's growing at a 20 percent clip right now," he said.

With permission to expand westward, Wal-Mart expects to open 12 to 15 stores across China this year, with the central city of Chongqing its next target, he said.

"We started in Shenzhen and we've been working our way as far north as Harbin, Beijing and out west to Kunming."

He noted, however, that, "China wasn't really developed for chain stores and for brands.

"Going across provincial lines takes time to get provincial approvals, central government approvals, it creates a lot of backroom paperwork, but it's moving along at a quick pace."

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol is there such a thing as cheap American crap (other than Ford)?
I say it's about time they opened a store over there, buy and sell cheap Chinese crap and take the profit back to the US
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to suggest that their shipping costs (at least for those stores) will be minimal...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I seen a news clip where hey said something like 90 stores.  Maybe it was a total of 90 stores.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I say it's about time they opened a store over there, buy and sell cheap Chinese crap and take the profit back to the US

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I see this a a good thing.  They make it, ship it, and buy it, and a guy in Arkansas gets profits from them.  It is a win win situation.  The Arkansas middleman sticking it to the Chinese.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Now they're going to put the small Chinese businessmen out of 'bidness. Hey, I wonder if Wal-Mart will sell guns to average Chinese citizens?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of guns will they sell?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Will they save on shipping costs?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well I see this a a good thing.  They make it, ship it, and buy it, and a guy in Arkansas gets profits from them.  It is a win win situation.  The Arkansas middleman sticking it to the Chinese.

that's the way I saw it as well. Maybe since it will only cost $14 dollars a day to operate the entire store in china they will pay employees better here, then I would shop at walmart more
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What kind of guns will they sell?

They're going to sell American made AR15's and versions of the Colt .45 because the rich Chinese consumer wants the cachet of weapons "imported from the Great Satan USA".
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Kunming Stunts.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/top10/05.trucks.worst.residual.value/05.pontiac.aztek.500.jpg

haha yeah forgot about the Asstek.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a good time to buy some more Wal-Mart stock...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top