Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember reading that series in junior high...

Thanks for the info, ETH!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
After Lord of the Rings    I don't know if I can work up the enthusiasm for this kind of thing...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The old CON movies were not bad.

I liked the beaver costumes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
GREAT story, hopefully Disney treats it with respect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I am expecting:

Alsan is gay and Peter and Edmund are lovers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
 From what I have understood, C.S. Lewis's Son in Law has been working with Disney as an assistant producer to help keep the story on track.  I can only PRAY that this is true.  These stories are so BEAUTIFUL that it would be akin to murder to mess with them in any way.

The Chronicles of Narnia have gotten me through some very bleak times in my life and I NEVER get tired of reading them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 From what I have understood, C.S. Lewis's Son in Law has been working with Disney as an assistant producer to help keep the story on track.  I can only PRAY that this is true.  These stories are so BEAUTIFUL that it would be akin to murder to mess with them in any way.

Hope so. It would be a sin to alter them.

The Chronicles of Narnia have gotten me through some very bleak times in my life and I NEVER get tired of reading them.

Ditto. My kids love them as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I just gave my original copy of The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe to my 8 year old daughter
last week and I was happy to find that she loves it.

I'm sure she will be disappointed in the movie after reading the books though.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Freakin' classics.

Like LOTR, if they screw it up it's my childhood they are killing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I loved the books, and will re-read them before the picture comes out, I pray that it is accurate but not too hopeful with Disney at the helm
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I saw the trailer and things didn't look right.. looked too much like LOTR, and the beginning was wrong (the guy who adopted them was touted like an evil guy, not the nice man, and they came to the house in a different way) but I'll give it hope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The same group that did all the scenery, clothes, weapons and buildings for LOTR is doing these movies, WETA Workshop.  That means the setting will "authentic" and amazing, but you will hear a lot of "it looks like LOTR".

I for one, can't wait for them to come out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I oughta pick those up and read them again. The last time I read them was like third grade - forever ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I loved those books when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never read any of his alternate-reality type books, but Mere Christianity and A Grief Observed are awesome.

Thanks, Phil!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#17]
IMHO, Disney is trying hard to win back the hearts of the religious right now that Eisner is no longer running the show.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IMHO, Disney is trying hard to win back the hearts of the religious right now that Eisner is no longer running the show.

Walt can quit spinning, at least to see how things work out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
These were my Sisters favorites as a kid, where mine were the Tolkien series.

She gave me the Chronicles Series all in one large book this past X-mas, and I've been reading a bit this last month or so. I'll be starting Prince Caspian the next time nature calls.

Although I was a bit disapointed in the LoTR movies, they were MUCH better than I ever dreamed they would be. The only things I'm still pissy over are Faramir and the Shire stuff at the end.
I believe Jackson did a better job than any one else could have.

ETA: And I'll be making it a point to see anything that WETA works on ....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]
for my birthday last year, my folks brought back 2 things from our montana home--my set of dingy, beat-up paperbacks of the series, and a 30x40" map of narnia and surrounding territories.  these are things that, buried in poverty as a child, i had bought, quite literally, with pennies and nickels scraped together over months.

i turned 32 that day, but cried like a baby.

i'm excited, but apprehensive, about the movie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
for my birthday last year, my folks brought back 2 things from our montana home--my set of dingy, beat-up paperbacks of the series, and a 30x40" map of narnia and surrounding territories.  these are things that, buried in poverty as a child, i had bought, quite literally, with pennies and nickels scraped together over months.

i turned 32 that day, but cried like a baby.

i'm excited, but apprehensive, about the movie.

Good story man. I read the Narnia stuff as a youngster also. Guess it's been too long because I don't remember much. That's too bad cause C.S. Lewis is "the man". Like Charles Dickens, he knew what the word "Christianity" really meant and lived it. Many so-called "Christians" in this day and age could only hope to live life and walk the walk the way these guys did.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Um...  I believe that would be his stepson.  I don't recall him having a daughter.

As a side note, when I was in Oxford last year I hooked up with a C.S. Lewis tour.  The tour is conducted by a friend of Lewis' stepson.  He added personal anecdotes to the sites we visited.  He took us by the Kilns, to the church Lewis attended, and to Lewis' grave at the church.  It was quite an experience.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I am sure that liberal Disney/Hollywierd will take a hatchet to any of the Christian allegory interwoven throughout the Narnia stories and turn it into some kind of testament to pro-queer moral relativism and humanist thought.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Great books.

I heard Disney  has used a lot of conservative/Christian focus groups and consultants on the screenplay.  Apparently they took notice of the money Mel Gibson made.

I would imagine it looks a lot like LOTR because Tolkien and Lewis were friends and admired each other's work IIRC.

Can't wait to see it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for posting this, ETH.  I'm very, very excited to see some of C.S. Lewis's work brought to life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the heads up. I would like to see the movie as I loved the books
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]

"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emporer on earth. Be content."

They were friends of course, Tolkien and Lewis.  It shouldn't surprise anyone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I read and loved the chronicles of narnia as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Only thing im not looking foward to is the mass cheaping of the story via the merchandisng thats sure to come.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool website
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Um...  I believe that would be his stepson.  I don't recall him having a daughter.

Right...I couldn't for life of me remember which it was.

As for people worrying about changes, I, too, am worried.  Though Tilda Swinton LOOKS PHENOMENAL as the Jadis, the White Witch, the concept work I have seen has her driving a sled pulled bu POLAR BEARS instead of White Reindeer...that bugs me.  Too flashy, that ISN'T C.S. Lewis's style.  Lewis was subtle.

Apparently, also, Lucy and Susan take part in the Battle for Narnia, which they did NOT do in LTWATW.   This bums me because I loved what Father Christmas said to them when he was dispensing the gifts for them:

...he said "...and the dagger is to defend yourself at great need.  For you also are not to be in battle."

"Why, sir?" said Lucy.  " I think-I don't know-but I think I could be brave enough."

"That is not the point," he said. "But battles are ugly when women fight.... "

Wondeful line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Very interesting.

About six weeks ago, I bought Fisher & Paykel laundry from a young lady named Perilandra and she has a sister named Narnia.

She said Mom and Dad were huge fans of C.S Lewis...guess so.

And yes...cool site.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Very interesting.

About six weeks ago, I bought Fisher & Paykel laundry from a young lady named Perilandra and she has a sister named Narnia.She said Mom and Dad were huge fans of C.S Lewis...guess so.

And yes...cool site.

Wow.....that's sweet.  I loved "Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra"  Perelandra was a very vivid and beautiful book.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Cough, Cough...  

Purchased back in the day by MOD (Mother of Driftpunch) in order to try and get him to read for pleasure.  Good luck with that...  Dated 1978...

The blade is proof that this photo wasn't ripped from the net.  It's a 1999 dated Kukri from Nepal.  The blade is not commercial quality, but is polished to a blinding finish (which shows the fact that it was probably made from the leaf springs of early an early mercedes.  Lethal power...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Cough, Cough...  

Purchased back in the day by MOD (Mother of Driftpunch) in order to try and get him to read for pleasure.  Good luck with that...  Dated 1978...

The blade is proof that this photo wasn't ripped from the net.  It's a 1999 dated Kukri from Nepal.  The blade is not commercial quality, but is polished to a blinding finish (which shows the fact that it was probably made from the leaf springs of early an early mercedes.  Lethal power...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/cslewis1.jpg

That was the set I first read them from.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cough, Cough...  

don't have the box anymore, but that's the same set as mine.

on another note, i discovered the space trilogy 4-5 years ago, and it was probably the single biggest factor in reopening my heart to the possibility of god's existence.  i'm still a work in progress, though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks promising.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cough, Cough...  

Maybe I'll read them some day...  Funny, I can spend hours doing hard or detailed work on many different things, but reading has always been something to be avoided.  My parents were bookworms too...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cough, Cough...  

Maybe I'll read them some day...  Funny, I can spend hours doing hard or detailed work on many different things, but reading has always been something to be avoided.  My parents were bookworms too...

seriously bro--just read the first 15 pages, which will take you about 15min.  if it doesn't grab you by then, put it down and don't worry about it.

but i warn you...that stuff's addictive.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That was my very first thought when I found out it was one of their productions. We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe....

narnia.com

Pretty awesome website, I might add.

Hmmmm, December 9th......

Eric The(BigFan)Hun

Thanks Eric (TheWellRead) Hun!

I really liked her "In Conquest Born" and the Coldfire books (Couldn't get into that other one around the time of ICB - Madness Season? (or something like that). Charlie, one of my best friends LOVED it - I just coldn't get into it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top