Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 2:19:28 PM EDT
Do you view terrorism as a viable warfare tactic or strategy?
First some facts about terrorism

Terrorism is cheap, low-risk, and highly effective. Terrorism allows the weak to challenge the strong

Democratic countries will not tolerate casualties.  Today is different than 50 years ago there are more liberals, hippies and peace activists like Cindy Sheenan than ever before.  

Terrorism is an effective tactic when used in conjunction with guerilla warfare.

Terrorism works; one only needs to look as far as the PLO to come to that conclusion.

Terrorism works on a lot of different levels. A man killed is merely one less, whereas a man unnerved is a highly infectious carrier of fear, capable of spreading an epidemic of panic. On a higher plane of warfare, the impression made on the commander can nullify the whole fighting power that his troops possess. And on still on a higher plane psychological terrorism on a government of a country may suffice to cancel all the resources at its command-so that the sword falls from a paralyzed hand.  (From Low Intensity Conflict author James Gallagher)

It is suicidal to fight the US in any type of conventional warfare.  I believe that our incredible prowess at conventional warfare has become a type of weakness.  Our future enemies will use terrorism and guerilla warfare as anything less is suicide.  

I believe that ultimately we will lose in Iraq unless we are able to shut down the insurgency.  I believe that if the next president is a democrat that they might pull out the troops if public pressure is heavy enough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a common courtesy to cite the source when quoting others.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I did though not to MLA standards
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First some facts about terrorism

Terrorism is cheap, low-risk, and highly effective. Terrorism allows the weak to challenge the strong

Democratic countries will not tolerate casualties.  Today is different than 50 years ago there are more liberals, hippies and peace activists like Cindy Sheenan than ever before.  

Terrorism is an effective tactic when used in conjunction with guerilla warfare.

Terrorism works; one only needs to look as far as the PLO to come to that conclusion.

Terrorism works on a lot of different levels. A man killed is merely one less, whereas a man unnerved is a highly infectious carrier of fear, capable of spreading an epidemic of panic. On a higher plane of warfare, the impression made on the commander can nullify the whole fighting power that his troops possess. And on still on a higher plane psychological terrorism on a government of a country may suffice to cancel all the resources at its command-so that the sword falls from a paralyzed hand.  (From Low Intensity Conflict author James Gallagher)
It is suicidal to fight the US in any type of conventional warfare.  I believe that our incredible prowess at conventional warfare has become a type of weakness.  Our future enemies will use terrorism and guerilla warfare as anything less is suicide.  

I believe that ultimately we will lose in Iraq unless we are able to shut down the insurgency.  I believe that if the next president is a democrat that they might pull out the troops if public pressure is heavy enough.

The author is sited
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.frontiernet.net/~joe14580/captain%20obvious.jpg

You think thats obvious try using this information in a military history class.  Every single student in my class didnt know any of this not one single student.  This class is made up mostly of exmilitary, and history students.  When asked the class could only say that terrorism is useless and cowardly. When I challenged them with this information they were dumbfounded!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think thats obvious try using this information in a military history class.  Every single student in my class didnt know any of this not one single student.  This class is made up mostly of exmilitary, and history students.  When asked the class could only say that terrorism is useless and cowardly. When I challenged them with this information they were dumbfounded!

Ya, I am sure you floored the class.

The PLO has not destroyed Israel or created a viable Palestine. The IRA still doesn't have N.Ireland. The Tamil Tigers still don't rule Sri Lanka. FARC is getting spanked all over Columbia. Last I checked, AQ isn't exactly sitting at the top of the world. Et cetera.

Terrorism may have a strong appeal to people who don't think matters through, but it certainly doesn't have a history of being effective.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, I am sure you floored the class.

The PLO has not destroyed Israel or created a viable Palestine. The IRA still doesn't have N.Ireland. The Tamil Tigers still don't rule Sri Lanka. FARC is getting spanked all over Columbia. Last I checked, AQ isn't exactly sitting at the top of the world. Et cetera.

Terrorism may have a strong appeal to people who don't think matters through, but it certainly doesn't have a history of being effective.

Not quite up on our french history huh.  Try looking at african colonial wars. And Isreal left the gaza due to terrorism and they will eventually give in to pressure and help create a palestine country.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And Isreal left the gaza due to terrorism and they will eventually give in to pressure and help create a palestine country.

I think Isreal will go back into Gaza because of terrorism.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Terrorism ruins an economy. Look at the nations where terrorism is practiced as a form of warfare, their economies are pitiful. Terrorists will never win, it's not sustainable. Good 'old fashioned war works wonders for the economy though, especially if you end up being the winner!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not quite up on our french history huh.  Try looking at african colonial wars.

You are conflating guerilla warfare with terrorism. Algeria was the product of civil insurrection that expanded into full-fledged guerilla war. Certainly there were acts of terrorism, but they were not central to the withdrawl of the French army.

And Isreal left the gaza due to terrorism and they will eventually give in to pressure and help create a palestine country.

Israel did not leave Gaza due to terrorism. Israel is handing the Palestinians a great big shit sandwich (halal, I am sure), and the upper ranks of Palestinian leadership knows it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Terrorism seems to be working well domestically here in the U.S., when you consider the ultimate purpose of law enforcement is to generate voluntary compliance
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's not only viable, it's necessary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure where this one is going....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top