Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 10:30:56 PM EDT
I did a search on "NRA" and didn't see another thread, so here I go.  I got this email tonight from the Second Amendment Foundation:

SAF INVESTIGATING NEW ORLEANS GUN SEIZURES; NEEDS TO HEAR FROM YOU
The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is calling on members and supporters living in the New Orleans metropolitan area who have had firearms confiscated by police, federal officers or National Guard units to contact SAF headquarters at once.

Over the past three weeks, since the New Orleans and surrounding area was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, there have been disturbing reports about warrantless searches and seizures of privately-owned firearms.

"SAF, in cooperation with the National Rifle Association, has investigators on the ground and has retained legal counsel in preparation for possible action," said SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb.

SAF wants to speak directly with individuals who have actually had their firearms confiscated. If you, or someone you know, has had a firearm seized by authorities in the New Orleans area in the days following the hurricane, SAF needs to hear from you.

Contact SAF via e-mail at [email protected]. Please provide us with your full name, address, current working telephone number and the date and time of the firearm(s) seizure. Please also let us know the best time of day for us to reach you at that number.

We'll see where this goes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm short on funds right now, only working part time, but if the NRA jumps on this you can be sure I'll find a few bucks to send to the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I will work overtime just to give them the money if this pan's out...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
there are a few problems with what their asking for.

1 The people in the NEW ORLEANS war zone are practally a 3rd world country.

2  Since their practally a 3rd world country luxuries like computers and electricity are a bit difficult to come by

and finally

3 in order to have this information available to the people that need it in the NEW ORLEANS war zone, they are going to have to go out there and hand out flyers or tell the people who live there in person.

It's a good Idea, in fact I want any government that thinks it's OK to steal from the people to reap the concequences of their actions but I don't think they have thought it completely through.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
This is exactly what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
there are a few problems with what their asking for.

1 The people in the NEW ORLEANS war zone are practally a 3rd world country.

2  Since their practally a 3rd world country luxuries like computers and electricity are a bit difficult to come by

and finally

3 in order to have this information available to the people that need it in the NEW ORLEANS war zone, they are going to have to go out there and hand out flyers or tell the people who live there in person.

It's a good Idea, in fact I want any government that thinks it's OK to steal from the people to reap the concequences of their actions but I don't think they have thought it completely through.

1. Hundreds of thousands of people are moving back, it musy not be as bad as it is looks.
2. They have to start somewhere.
3. The article says they have people on the ground and lawyers retained. Class action lawsuit + local lawyers= people searching them out to get on board.

This will take years to resolve, by the time there is a settlment, we will be saying"remember that big hurricain that hit somewhere down south?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm short on funds right now, only working part time, but if the NRA jumps on this you can be sure I'll find a few bucks to send to the NRA.

That's what nra is counting on............
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
SAF wants to speak directly with individuals who have actually had their firearms confiscated. quote]

This is what I've been waiting for....facts, not a bunch of tin hats crying that the sky is falling.
I'm sure they are not looking for people (like the old lady video) who were brandishing or otherwise acting inappropriate when their arms were  taken.
The final list will be small.
Where's the pop-corn icon?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Brandishing?  BRANDISHING?  She obviously was holding it in a way to be non-threatening.  Unnaturally, too.  She said she didn't want them in there.  Where was their warrant?  Huh?  West VA and VA don't honor my concealed carry permit; I have to have my pistol on the console or dash in plain view.  Is that brandishing?

They had NO BUSINESS in that house in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SAF wants to speak directly with individuals who have actually had their firearms confiscated. quote]

This is what I've been waiting for....facts, not a bunch of tin hats crying that the sky is falling.
I'm sure they are not looking for people (like the old lady video) who were brandishing or otherwise acting inappropriate when their arms were  taken.

People like you are part of the problem. That 70 year old lady sure was a threat the way she was "brandishing" that weapon. Sheesh...  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
A lot of guys on this board oughta be eating some crow right about now.

Oh, and get out the checkbooks boys, time y'all joined up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The seizures have already stopped.  te time to act was when they were occurring. File an injuction to halt the seizures, not wait till they stop and then sue. Better late than never, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have no popcorn but I do have a pail full of dog doo doo for you. If that is "brandishing" to you, especially inside one's own house, then gun confiscation to you must be nothing more then a permanant gun safety inspection.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
[NRA basher poo heads] Bah, the NRA never does nuthin' but grub fer money, they shoulda filed these suits a month before the hurricane if they really supported gun rights. Heck, if Lapierre and Cox were any good, they'd have been there in the streets in a gun battle with the cops who were taking guns [/NRA basher poo heads]

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this the case that makes it to the Supreme Court that will finally answer once and for all if the 2nd is an individual or a collective right?

Edited to add: I just joined the NRA this past week so if this does turn out to be the case that makes or breaks us, I will do all I can to make sure we get our fair shot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Did anyone just see on CNN that they are setting up checkpoints and taking firearms as you re-enter the city??!?!

It begins again

And I go back monday, no way in hell they are taking my toys!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People like you are part of the problem. That 70 year old lady sure was a threat the way she was "brandishing" that weapon. Sheesh...  

+2

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#19]
How about in the video where the newsreader stated that since she had a weapon, they could have used deadly force.

I guess just by tackling her they 'went easy on her'.

I've known (and am related) to some in law enforcement.  I've seen two types:  

The first is in LE because he really wants to help people, and enjoys taking scum off the streets.

The second likes the power.  The ones I am thinking of are the type that go to a bar, act like an asshole and get in your face and know that you can't touch them.

I've seen both types on this board.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did anyone just see on CNN that they are setting up checkpoints and taking firearms as you re-enter the city??!?!

It begins again

Get F'k outta town!!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]
The NRA's credibility with gun owners is on the line like never before over this.  If they don't look like they are *agressively* pursuing legal action, I think their overall effectiveness will be damaged.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They haven't done shit yet.  And it took them over a week to do anything at all.  I got my renewal letter yesterday.  Still waiting to see what happens before I renew.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They haven't done shit yet.  And it took them over a week to do anything at all.  I got my renewal letter yesterday.  Still waiting to see what happens before I renew.

The NRA has sent professional investigators to NO.

NRA at work in NO

viator
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NRA has sent professional investigators to NO.

NRA at work in NO

viator

Again, nothing 1 week late.  Let's see some suits filed.  Perferably Civil Rights suits (which the fed govern would have to repay the NRA for fighting if they win).

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Go get 'um boys!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I just called the NRA-ILA and told them I support their efforts in NOLA and mine as well as the eyes of several thousand gun owners are watching , very carefully and with much interest, how they respond to this crisis.

BTW:  NRA-ILA  1-800-392-8683
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#27]
1. Hundreds of thousands of people are moving back, it musy not be as bad as it is looks.

From a friend that left just a few days ago... no, it is worse than you could possibly imagine.

People aren't "moving" back.  They are now starting to be allowed in to assess the damage to their homes and businesses, take photos for insurance.  Most of the homes will have to be torn down, can never be lived in again.  My friend said on the way out EVERY business he saw had been looted.

The second likes the power. The ones I am thinking of are the type that go to a bar, act like an asshole and get in your face and know that you can't touch them.

There is a third kind.  This kind, while in plain clothes, will provoke a confrontation, then when he has really started some crap, pulls out the badge like a trump card.  This is the bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#28]
NATER!  Can you please confirm where you saw about confiscating guns on re-entry into New Orleans?  We need that link, cited and verified so we can raise some hell about it!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I think they just earned a renewal of my membership.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Forgreatjustice: That is why I asked if anyone else had seen it. It was on cnn ONCE and then never again. Perhaps they realized they were wrong? I dont know... I would love to know for sure, but beyond what I posted, I know nothing...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome- and if the local .gov tries it again, they'll have people on the ground to deal with it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Right, just like EVERY summer (when gas prices hit their highest) the state AG's send out a press release saying they are going to investigate the oil companies and the prices... What do you ever see happen ? Not jack fucking shit.
And that is what you are going to see from the NRA... They are great in the lobby, but shit for actually doing much in an active manner.

Ie: they are a bunch of fucking suits....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for being on the ball, NRA.  Too bad it's too late for the citizens who have already had their guns confiscated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thanks for being on the ball, NRA.  Too bad it's too late for the citizens who have already had their guns confiscated.

That means they dropped the ball, not that they are on it...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm going to try to be nice here and simply ask "Were they supposed to be clairvoyant?"

Geez Louise people - you act like the .gov asked the NRA for permission - and got it - to do the confiscations.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to try to be nice here and simply ask "Were they supposed to be clairvoyant?"

Geez Louise people - you act like the .gov asked the NRA for permission - and got it - to do the confiscations.

No, my attitude comes from reading the NRA response to the initial call for action that can be best paraphrased as "Let's wait and see".

Please understand, that being on the road, I do not watch TV at all.  So all the intel I get is radio, internet, or newspaper.  

ETA:  I have migrated to the frame of mind that drastic times call for drastic measures to be taken.  I wholy understand that outside of the Gov't in this case, I am alone in this opinion.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Um, I have news for you--if the police are in your house without a warrant and you don't want them there, you have every right to "brandish" your weapon. You have every right to discharge your weapon too, just as you would at an ordinary trespasser who poses a threat to you. A trespasser is a trespasser, regardless of what clothes they wear or what ornamental pieces of sheetmetal they wear on their chest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like a lot of people here think they ought to be. Hell you had an earlier poster say the NRA should have filed a suit before the hurricane blasted through the city. I wonder what their cause of action would have been?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#39]
My understanding of civil law is that the NRA can’t simply file a lawsuit.  It has to represent someone who is harmed by the actions taken by the police.

Right now it’s looking for someone to represent.

And the NRA tying its wagon to the lady whose firearm was taken away from her by the PD is would almost certainly be snatching defeat from a likely victory.  (I haven’t seen the video, but I get the impression that the officer’s actions had nothing to do with the order to confiscate firearms anyway.)

Hopefully the NRA will take its time, prepare the best case possible, and go in to win.

I could care less about some immediate “feel good” legal fight that it loses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The seizures have already stopped.  te time to act was when they were occurring. File an injuction to halt the seizures, not wait till they stop and then sue. Better late than never, I guess.

An injunction has to be filed on someone behalf...since both the NRA and SAF are begging people who actually had firearms confiscated to come forward it's safe to say they are lacking that "someone" who had their firearms confiscated.  They can't do anything until that "someone" actually comes forward.  

So what are all the other tin foil hat pro-gun groups doing?  They all banged on the drum demanding something be done...but have they done anything yet?  Not that I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#41]
In truth, the N.O. lawlessness is about as PERFECT a context (i.e., good facts) situation for a full on Second Amendment run at the United States Supreme Court as we're going to get.  

It puts in pretty stark contrast the exact reasons for the 2nd Amend in the first place, and frankly, creates a great point for some lawyer to make:

"Look, your honor, when the cops are AWOL and looters are crashing in to steal your generator and rape your wife, is there really even a "rational basis" for any limitation on the "KEEPING" and "BEARING" of arms?  What do all those neighborhood groups who band together for common protection become, if not militias?"

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
In truth, the N.O. lawlessness is about as PERFECT a context (i.e., good facts) situation for a full on Second Amendment run at the United States Supreme Court as we're going to get.  

It puts in pretty stark contrast the exact reasons for the 2nd Amend in the first place, and frankly, creates a great point for some lawyer to make:

"Look, your honor, when the cops are AWOL and looters are crashing in to steal your generator and rape your wife, is there really even a "rational basis" for any limitation on the "KEEPING" and "BEARING" of arms?  What do all those neighborhood groups who band together for common protection become, if not militias?"

Correct. This may be the perfect SA case with the perfect SCOTUS.

To Nationwide? Sorry pal, you're missing the boat here, you and all the NRA bashers.
What the fuck? They arent a law enforcement organization, yet you expect Lappiere to be down in NOLA shooting the people collecting guns.
You guys all scream that NRA does nothing and then when they do something it aint good enough. Y'all sound just like the libs screaming that GW didnt come flying into NOLA like fucking Superman and fix everything before the hurricane started.

Blow me. I'll put my bucks with the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I disagree. The news media was in a frenzie last week. Headlines like "NRA obstruct law enforcement by demanding guns be returned to vigilantes" would not help our cause. The best way for them to stop this happening in the future is to hit the .gov hard this time so they think twice next time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It begins again

I've been reading on nola.com that many have been back today and before and had not been stopped.  I went back in last week to algiers and was not checked.  However, you can never tell what might happen Monday, just  in case, I'm leaving my stuff with a friend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, my attitude comes from reading the NRA response to the initial call for action that can be best paraphrased as "Let's wait and see".

nationwide -

Stuiff  like this tells me you've never been in charge on anything larger than making your own dinner.

Moblization takes time. Facts have to be checked. Actual incidents of confiscation have to be identified. Gun owners located. There were NO communications.

Is the NRA supposed to be there in the  street shooting it out with the cops?

Geez people.

Top Top