Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:07:31 AM EDT
This question from the other thread got me curious.

And if so, has it affected her libido?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Would also like to know about headaches or weight gain.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No. Shes fixed. In fact, we're both fixed because if we dont stay together neither one of us wants more kids.

That said, she used to be with disasterous results.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The wife uses the BC patch.  I would say life effects her libido more than anything.....and the same goes for me.  We both work full time and once we're home and finally get the kiddo to bed we're both too damn tired to do anything other than sleep.  Vacations, and getting a baby sitter once in a while allows some "personal time."  I've ben with the wife for 11 years and the sex is cyclic....some times there's a draught and sometimes its raining cats and dogs.

I remember long ago when she first started taking the BCP there was a period of adjustment where she felt pretty crappy, which may have impeded our sex life briefly.  I assume this was side effects of the hormones in the pill.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My girlfriend has been on 3 different BCP's over the past 2 years.  The old type there was no change in libido.  They changed it.  She became a nypho overnight.  Unfortunately she became a mental wreck.  She would cry at the drop of a hat.  SHe would cry for no reason and she couldn't figure it out.  I put two and two together and figured out that the new BCP had to much harmones in it.  So she switched to a third type, I think it is orthy-trycline low and the libido has decreased but thankfully no mood swings or increase in weight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is and she definately has a lower sex drive. Some of the pills did also have an effect on her weight but after switching to a different brand it has all gotten better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#6]
no, I'm fixed

and Free the Sarge
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
We're both fixed now. No need for BC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I got sniped.. OUCH
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]
No she got snipped

But we did use BCP's.  Some women, not all women do have a reaction to hormonal changes.

She did,

Depo, mood swings, eliminated libido, and serious weight gain.

Pills, not sure what brand/type, mood swings and lowered labido.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya my girl has been on it for years.  Going bareback is sooooo nice I rue the day she goes off it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Depo, mood swings, eliminated libido, and serious weight gain.

+1,000,000   My gf went on that before the pill,  gained about 30lbs(in 9 months) and was a walking nightmare.  I don't know why I stuck around, but did.  Switched to the low dose version of the pill and was much better,  lost about 1/2 the weight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
BB I tried to take the pill several times in my life with disasterous results.  Most were very effective birth control measures - not only did they regulate my cycle so I couldn't get pregnant they made me hate men, be a total bitch, gain weight and make most men curl at the mere sight of me.  

Long story short, I didn't do well on the pill.  However that was many moons ago and I think they have enough different types of hormone levels that with a good OB/GYN and patience a woman should be able to meet her needs.

I ended up profecting the calander method and with this method did not have any unplanned pregnancies.  We finally sent the hubby to the vet to be fixed so I no longer have to count my days and what not.  With that said, the old saying is They have a name for people who use the calander method.....its called Parents.  

Best of luck!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Like I posted in the other thread, I've been on Depo for over 5 years.  Since I forget to take my allergy pill half the time, I know better than to try birth control pills.  Every other woman I knew that was on Depo gained weight from it.  I haven't had any real noticeable weight gain, but I make half an attempt to eat decent, and I work out at least 3 mornings a week.  I am more moody than I used to be, but since I don't have periods anymore, at least I don't have PMS.  It does lower the sex drive, I think more so in some women than others.  Mine's pretty strong anyway, so even with the birth control the boyfried can never claim deprivation.  Especially since I don't have the monthly visitor to get in the way for a week every month.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Like I posted in the other thread, I've been on Depo for over 5 years.  Since I forget to take my allergy pill half the time, I know better than to try birth control pills.  Every other woman I knew that was on Depo gained weight from it.  I haven't had any real noticeable weight gain, but I make half an attempt to eat decent, and I work out at least 3 mornings a week.  I am more moody than I used to be, but since I don't have periods anymore, at least I don't have PMS.  It does lower the sex drive, I think more so in some women than others.  Mine's pretty strong anyway, so even with the birth control the boyfried can never claim deprivation.  Especially since I don't have the monthly visitor to get in the way for a week every month.

I am not a MD or anything but taking something that prevents you from getting a period doesn't seem healthy and looks like it could create long term health problems.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Anything that alters the way your body is meant to work could have bad side effects.  It's all about weighing your options.  Healthwise, a pregnancy is not a real good idea for me.  And if I did get pregnant, abortion is NOT an option (and comes with it's own dangers anyway.)  I could always tell the boyfriend we were just going to practice abstinence for birth control, but I am pretty sure that would get me single in a real hurry, and rightfully so.  Besides, a healthy sex life brings other health benefits.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anything that alters the way your body is meant to work could have bad side effects.  It's all about weighing your options.  Healthwise, a pregnancy is not a real good idea for me.  And if I did get pregnant, abortion is NOT an option (and comes with it's own dangers anyway.)  I could always tell the boyfriend we were just going to practice abstinence for birth control, but I am pretty sure that would get me single in a real hurry, and rightfully so.  Besides, a healthy sex life brings other health benefits.

why not tie the tubes then?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]
You better bet your ass she does, and it makes her hornier than hell
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I had suggested to the boyfriend, who is also pretty sure he doesn't want kids, to have a vasectomy, since that procedure is a lot less invasive and poses less physical risks than me getting fixed.  Of course, he didn't like that idea.  Also, I am only 29 and he is 32.  We are not %100 sure that we will never want kids.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had suggested to the boyfriend, who is also pretty sure he doesn't want kids, to have a vasectomy, since that procedure is a lot less invasive and poses less physical risks than me getting fixed.  Of course, he didn't like that idea.  Also, I am only 29 and he is 32.  We are not %100 sure that we will never want kids.

I hemmed and hawed for years about getting snipped because the idea of someone messing with my jewels bothered me. The actual procedure once I said ok was almost nothing. No pain, no nothing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't take the pill.  I'm perfectly happy with my own hormones, thank you.  

I have used the sympto/thermal method to detect ovulation for the past 10 years and have never had an unplanned pregnancy.  It takes more responsibility but it's worth it to me.  Being on some form of synthetic hormone from puberty to the grave kinda weirds me out.    But different strokes, ya know.  YMMV

Don't want hubby to get fixed, cause if I die tomorrow he might meet a young chicky, fall in love again and want to have more kids.  Ya never know.  I don't want to get fixed because I don't want to go under the knife.  Surgery for anything other than life-threatening illness scares me, but life -threatening illness scares me more.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell yes !
Ortho -trycyclene.
(any of you comparing the effects could state the kind
for a proper comparison)

I'm finally at a financial point where the wife and I
can have fun and spend some $$$$ in the things
we always wanted.
Maybe someday,hopefully NOT soon.

She feels the same way.

AS for libidio ,she's still a nympho.

She also has an aggressive/mean streak that's so
bad her own father asks me how I can put up with her.

Basicly ,that means the pill hasn't effected effected her
personality at all.    
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not a MD or anything but taking something that prevents you from getting a period doesn't seem healthy and looks like it could create long term health problems.  

Ummm....the new story on DEPO is that taking it for more than 2 years at a time is not recommended because of the amount of calcium loss it can cause in your bones!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
No
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We finally sent the hubby to the vet to be fixed so I no longer have to count my days and what not.  

Are you in a 3-way? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Details on the 3-way please?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
roommate used to use the patch for something other than BC purposes (although it did also work for BC), and she was a horny freak, and theres nothing better than putting your load right where its meant to go
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#27]
she dosent need to
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#28]
She's been on it since before we started going out.  Libido has changed but pills haven't.  Chalk it up to marriage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This question from the other thread got me curious.

And if so, has it affected her libido?  

Yes, she is on the pill and yes, her libido is affected but it was apparently the wedding cake that did that.

Quoted:
Would also like to know about headaches or weight gain.

Yes and yes, but the Topamax is helping with that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
roommate used to use the patch for something other than BC purposes (although it did also work for BC), and she was a horny freak, and theres nothing better than putting your load right where its meant to go

Hmmm..  usually people call a woman that lives with them and they have sex with a 'girlfriend' and not a 'roommate'.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is worthless without pics!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top