Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 6:20:56 PM EDT
You know it's a good thing I don't watch TV, especially if this is the kind of crap they show.  I thought it was a joke originally, but it is apparently very much real.  

http://www.commercialcloset.org/cgi-bin/iowa/portrayals.html?record=2195&searchwords=ORBITZ

On a game show, a colorful door turns, revealing a man in a lavender shirt. The announcer says, "HE'S a travel editor from Miami!" The man femininely grabs his chest in mock surprise.

As door number two swings around, revealing a tall, handsome fellow with another clinging to his shoulder, the announcer says, "HE'S got a new boyfriend!"

"And this is Take On Orbitz," he continues, "the game that pits other travel services against Orbitz.com."

The host, game show favorite Wink Martindale (from "Tic-Tac-Dough"), walks on stage. "Today's contestants need a hotel in San Francisco with a mini-bar and gym," he says as the display behinds him lists the amenities in typical game-show fashion. The unseen audience gasps at the challenge.

The couple and travel editor face off, each with a computer trying to make their vacation plans the fastest through online booking. The new boyfriend is still hanging off his beau, playfully distracting him from typing by toying with his ear and rubbing his shoulders. (The set-up is that a travel editor should be a wiz at booking, while the distracted couple should not be, but they use Orbitz.com.) The couple wins, despite the "handicap" of new love.

The couple high-fives and hugs, while the travel editor is peeved at being shown up.

"Orbitz makes it fast and easy to find the right gay-friendly hotel," explains the host. The new boyfriend runs over to Martindale and hugs him, to which Martindale remarks: "I like that!"

The ad ends with the URL, www.orbitz.com/gaytravel.

This is the third dedicated gay commercial from Orbitz, which also does gay print media advertising. The company was able to uniquely determine exactly how many gay customers they had because of a dedicated Gay Travel section, which it calls a microsite, found on the home page along with other specialized travel interests. The company says it was the first general travel site to feature a gay section.

“Orbitz continues to make diversity a priority via our extensive gay travel microsite as well as in our marketing efforts and community outreach,” Mitch Truwit, president and CEO at Orbitz in Chicago, told Commercial Closet.

“Gay and lesbian travelers are an important, valued audience for travel and leisure companies,” he says, noting that 10% of Orbitz's customers are gay and lesbian. “Airlines and hotels across the globe ask us how they can be featured on Orbitz's gay travel microsite because they too recognize that gay travelers are some of their best customers.”

Explaining the ad concept, Truwit says, “In focus groups, Orbitz users kept telling us how much easier it is to find the right option using Orbitz. So using the classic game show format in our advertising demonstrates in a fun way.”
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Who gives a shit?

I certainly don't.

Don't like the commercial?  Don't buy their product.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Orbites in the past and when I saw that commercial and one other advertising their "gay cruises"  I politely wrote them and told them they they were pandering to 1% of the population and that I would not do business with them any further and listed my customer ID number along with invoices of the thousands of dollars in travel I'd done with them in the last couple of years.

I got a very nice polite note back that basically said we support EVERYONE's right to travel yadda yadda yadda so I politely wrote back and said I did too but that I didn't want to see that lifestyle on their adds and that they wouldn't get one more cent of my business.

They can run whatever adds they like but I can use any one of a hundred other travel agencies/booking services too. They can make their living of a few thousand homos....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've used Orbites in the past and when I saw that commercial and one other advertising their "gay cruises"  I politely wrote them and told them they they were pandering to 1% of the population and that I would not do business with them any further and listed my customer ID number along with invoices of the thousands of dollars in travel I'd done with them in the last couple of years.

I got a very nice polite note back that basically said we support EVERYONE's right to travel yadda yadda yadda so I politely wrote back and said I did too but that I didn't want to see that lifestyle on their adds and that they wouldn't get one more cent of my business.

They can run whatever adds they like but I can use any one of a hundred other travel agencies/booking services too. They can make their living of a few thousand homos....

Perhaps they'll differenciate themselves from other companies and will corner the market on 10% of the population.   Sounds like pretty smart marketing to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you saw that commercial, you were likely watching a program that has a large gay audience.

You don't often see ads for Realtree cammo on Oprah...  It's the free market system at work!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Um...........y'all...........most major companies run gay-target ads.

Let's put it this way - what beer do you drink?

If you said any major brewery, they have gay-specific ad campaigns.

Not that big a deal - if you didn't know about it, continue drinking/ booking w/ orbitz.

If you did know about it, continue drinking/ booking w/ orbitz.

If you did know about it, and have a serious problem - drink some other [gay friendly] beer, book with a different company.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who gives a shit?

I certainly don't.

Don't like the commercial?  Don't buy their product.

What a refreshing outlook, and never before examined method of addressing the issue.  Of couse I'm not going to use them.

Personally, I don't particularly care to watch two men carees each other.  I find it absolutely repulsive.

In this particular case, this commercial is simply trying to pander to the gay community.  They hit pretty much every gay stereotype out there from fashion, partying, and physical fitness.  It's nothing more than a blatent attempt to get the homosexual lifestyle portrayed as "mainstream" and acceptable.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
That is F-U-K-T-U-P-P!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Perhaps they'll differenciate themselves from other companies and will corner the market on 10% of the population.   Sounds like pretty smart marketing to me.

Ahaa, see their advertising is working. They now have you believing they are truly 10% of the population.

BULLCRAP.  It's probably less than 1%.  Making you think that 10% is ghey = making the lifestyle more acceptible.

I agree with you that they are trying to differentiate,  it's just the general drive to try and "normalize" gheyness that I don't like.

But seriously, 10% of the population? Whatever. Not even in San Fran Crisco.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
crashburn - why does this hit close to the mark?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In this particular case, this commercial is simply trying to pander to the gay community.  They hit pretty much every gay stereotype out there from fashion, partying, and physical fitness.  It's nothing more than a blatent attempt to get the homosexual lifestyle portrayed as "mainstream" and acceptable.  

Sure.....a major company is going to throw the millions of advertizing dollars away just to make me happy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we need dedicated commercials for guys who like to fuck their wives doggystyle.....you know, because every sexual preference deserves to be aired on TV

I have met guys who immediately introduce themselves to me as "gay", which is like me saying "Hi, My name is Pete, and I like to fuck women.".  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.....a major company is going to throw the millions of advertizing dollars away just to make me happy.

No, they are going to throw millions of dollars away in an attempt to make MANY gay people happy.  I'm just betting that they may end up making more "non-gay" people unhappy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
They have too much disposable income.  Any good ideas on how to tax it for the good of the nation?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When I was booking a hotel for us in Miami, the search kept popping up this hotel I never heard of. "Hmmm, looks nice but why do the pictures only show men, and very well groomed men at that, hmmm....."

So did you stay in the Mike Piazza suite, or the Tom Cruise cabanna?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they are going to throw millions of dollars away in an attempt to make MANY gay people happy.  I'm just betting that they may end up making more "non-gay" people unhappy.

Well concerting that they have been running gay ads for about 3 years now........you'll lose that bet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you saw that commercial, you were likely watching a program that has a large gay audience.

You don't often see ads for Realtree cammo on Oprah...  It's the free market system at work!

Oh! YOU!! (Don't go confusing the 'phobes w/logic (and none of that common sense shit either!)! )

Seriously, the last 2 times I went to Korea, I used Orbitz. I didn't even KNOW that they had gay-friendly commercials.

At least one credible site stated that:

Based on national population figures, the American gay and lesbian community represents a US $47.3 billion travel market, or about 10% of the U.S. travel industry. But based on the results of our surveys, it represents an even larger percentage of the overall travel market in terms of actual gay and lesbian dollars invested in travel.

Which, from what I have observed from [GLBTQ] friends and [straight] family and friends, we queers get AROUND a LOT more than the str8 folks TEND to.

AND when you take into consideration "extreme homophobes" are becoming more and more rare.... AND that they are usually NOT very well traveled.... kind of a "QED" sitch, ya know?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a answer as to why companies market to gays.

But while the national gay and lesbian community's population size doesn't match other large minority groups nationally, it is one of the biggest buying forces. Those 13 million to 15 million people that make up the U.S. market are worth about $450 billion.

Ref.

http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/market-gay.htm

http://www.aef.com/06/news/data/2003/2368

http://www.marketresearch.com/map/prod/143478.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahaa, see their advertising is working. They now have you believing they are truly 10% of the population.

BULLCRAP.  It's probably less than 1%.  Making you think that 10% is ghey = making the lifestyle more acceptible.

I agree with you that they are trying to differentiate,  it's just the general drive to try and "normalize" gheyness that I don't like.

But seriously, 10% of the population? Whatever. Not even in San Fran Crisco.

Well... I'd have to say you are right on the San Fran front... nowhere NEAR 10% there... much (much) higher.

And PLEASE, even the extremist homophobic asshats who "do" (allegedly) "research"  on the subject concede to 1-2%

Less than 1%, you are in some SERIOUS denial there, guy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh! YOU!! (Don't go confusing the 'phobes w/logic (and none of that common sense shit either!)! )

Seriously, the last 2 times I went to Korea, I used Orbitz. I didn't even KNOW that they had gay-friendly commercials.

At least one credible site stated that:

Based on national population figures, the American gay and lesbian community represents a US $47.3 billion travel market, or about 10% of the U.S. travel industry. But based on the results of our surveys, it represents an even larger percentage of the overall travel market in terms of actual gay and lesbian dollars invested in travel.

Which, from what I have observed from [GLBTQ] friends and [straight] family and friends, we queers get AROUND a LOT more than the str8 folks TEND to.

AND when you take into consideration "extreme homophobes" are becoming more and more rare.... AND that they are usually NOT very well traveled.... kind of a "QED" sitch, ya know?

Ah yes, the old "homophobe" argument.
Most people who disaprove of homophobia do not "exhibit an irrational hatred or fear" of homosexuals.
They simply do not like being told that we MUST not only tolerate, but CELEBRATE.
You want to be gay - go for it. That's between you and God, and I'm more worried about keeping myself on the straight and narrow.
You want to FORCE people to accept and celebrate your sin, and teach it in sex ed classes, well that just rubs most folks the wrong way.
Gay marriages will never, ever be passed by a public vote - despite the tolerance people preach in public, deep down inside, when they get to that voting booth, and the spectre of PC is not leaning over their shoulder, they think "do I really consider two men/women to be a marriage?"

You want to know why so many people rip on homosexuals as sinners?
It is not becuase homosexuality is any worse then any other sin - I for one hate it when I hear people say homosexuals are going to Hell - how do you know?
That person could have lived the life of a saint, with their only sin having been being a practing homosexual.
I place homosexuality with all kinds of fornication.

The problem people have with homosexuals is that they are un-repentant.
They refuse to admit what they do is wrong, and even worse they try to claim it is right and normal.
Everyone sins - that is a given.
It becomes unforgivable when you sin publicly, and refuse to admit wrong doing.

This post might not make much sense - it is late.
Looking back, this is a REALLY long post!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Travelocity will try to counter Orbitz by outing The Roaming Gnome.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Well Doc....since you brought sin into a thread about gay advertizing

There reason why I don't repent is because I don't believe in sin in the first place. So why would I repent something that I don't believe is wrong? Yes I'm a aware that the bible condemns homosexuality, but I also don't beleive the bible is the written word of God so......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well Doc....since you brought sin into a thread about gay advertizing

There reason why I don't repent is because I don't believe in sin in the first place. So why would I repent something that I don't believe is wrong? Yes I'm a aware that the bible condemns homosexuality, but I also don't beleive the bible is the written word of God so......

That is your perogative.
What I have more of a problem with is homosexuals in the church who refuse to admit that they are wrong.
I belong to the Episcopalian Church, so I suppose you know our predicament,
Once again, I don't think homosexuals are any worse in terms of sin then anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Why do you care what other people do?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Ah yes, the old "homophobe" argument.
Most people who disaprove of homophobia do not "exhibit an irrational hatred or fear" of homosexuals.
They simply do not like being told that we MUST not only tolerate, but CELEBRATE.
You want to be gay - go for it. That's between you and God, and I'm more worried about keeping myself on the straight and narrow.
You want to FORCE people to accept and celebrate your sin, and teach it in sex ed classes, well that just rubs most folks the wrong way.
Gay marriages will never, ever be passed by a public vote - despite the tolerance people preach in public, deep down inside, when they get to that voting booth, and the spectre of PC is not leaning over their shoulder, they think "do I really consider two men/women to be a marriage?"

You want to know why so many people rip on homosexuals as sinners?
It is not becuase homosexuality is any worse then any other sin - I for one hate it when I hear people say homosexuals are going to Hell - how do you know?
That person could have lived the life of a saint, with their only sin having been being a practing homosexual.
I place homosexuality with all kinds of fornication.

The problem people have with homosexuals is that they are un-repentant.
They refuse to admit what they do is wrong, and even worse they try to claim it is right and normal.
Everyone sins - that is a given.
It becomes unforgivable when you sin publicly, and refuse to admit wrong doing.

This post might not make much sense - it is late.
Looking back, this is a REALLY long post!

I know what you mean about the late hour (sometimes, anyway) don't worry, it's just Arfcom

As for it being a really long post... <hrumph!> Amateur! (Seriously, just ask Mac )

And I am unrepentant, because I don't think being queer is a sin (unless POSSIBLY if you are someone NOT "born that way"...I'm KINDA still fence sitting a tad on that one, as it doesn't apply to me, so I've not investigated it thoroughly yet). And I'd say at LEAST 20% of us all believe the same thing. As for the ones who DO think it's a sin, but keep on keeping on... they bug me too.

As for the homophobes, I THINK I MAY have met a COUPLE of people who were anti-queer, who actually DID seem rational. But a couple out of HUNDREDS??? Pretty much anyone/everyone who CARES enough to actually READ a topic about it and COMMENT upon it NEGATIVELY very likely has an "irrational hatred and/or fear" of queers. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one too.

And frankly, I could care less whether or not YOU "celebrate" my queerness, so long as you don't deny ME the right to do so. Just like I could care less if others celebrate my owning a firearm, just so's they don't attempt to interfere with MY celebrating it (Bulletfest, etc...). Make sense?

ETA:IBTTMTRF (Is there a better acronym? "In Before The Thread Move To the Religon Forum")
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
At first I thought this was going to be about the Orbitz soft drink. You would have to be gay to drink that shit anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's true, you people do tend to travel WAY more often than we do.  I believe that gay is genetic and hormonal, and not environmental.  The same genes that give you gay, tend to repeal the cheap gene that people like myself are afflicted with...  Therefore, you are a primo market.  Subaru has hit that market for years, and guess what, it's the most popular brand with gays, and would be even more so if they made a full on luxury car (going back to that not cheap thing).

AND when you take into consideration "extreme homophobes" are becoming more and more rare....

Don't understimate the number of boneheads that live for some type of crusade (selecting the elimination of you as a goal as good as any other).
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true, you people do tend to travel WAY more often than we do.  I believe that gay is genetic and hormonal, and not environmental.  The same genes that give you gay, tend to repeal the cheap gene that people like myself are afflicted with...  Therefore, you are a primo market.  Subaru has hit that market for years, and guess what, it's the most popular brand with gays, and would be even more so if they made a full on luxury car (going back to that not cheap thing).

AND when you take into consideration "extreme homophobes" are becoming more and more rare....

Don't understimate the number of boneheads that live for some type of crusade (selecting the elimination of you as a goal as good as any other).

Yeah, I have been "taping" (disking really, I guess) a LOT of shows that are discussing 9/11, Wahabism, terrorists etc....

I found it pretty interesting the correlations between various types of "fundamentalists." Pretty scary, actually. BTW, not to change the subject, but did you know that the Bathist Party was "founded" by the Nazi's? Kinda makes all the sicko stuff Saddam did make more sense, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"Homophobe" is the stupidest term ever.  "Extreme homophobe"??? Wtf is that?  

And yes, I know "you queers get around a lot".  Wear a rubber dude.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
How about some gun friendly advertising?

"CS223 is trying to book a hotel in Oregon for his trip to Thunder Ranch then a room in Kentucky for Knob Creek, he needs a rental van to haul thousands of rounds of ammunition, and guns, hotels with walk in safes" "Accomodations near a shooting range and a cleaning bench in his rooms" " A porter to help haul gun cases to & from his van" "And he needs a flight back home to be in time for the Gun Pride Parade"

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top