Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 4:31:23 PM EDT
I got a quote on a Comfortmaker AC, 2.5 ton heat pump, 10 SEER, with new furnace/air handler, digital thermostat, additional intake, repair of existing ductwork, etc. for $4800.

Wondering if there might be a better value out there.

Any ideas/suggestions?  I'm in West Central FL.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes there is a better value.I'm from Orlando but live in Jacksonville now,I'll come down and do it for a helluva lot cheaper.IM me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That sounds a bit high to me, especially for a 10.5 SEER unit.

I would opt for a little bit higher SEER rating along with a scroll compressor. I would think you could get a good unit with say around a 11.5 to 12.5 SEER rating for cheaper than that.

I paid about $3600 for an Amana (3 ton) 11.5-12 SEER unit 2 years ago, that was installed with a digital thermostat.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That sounds a bit high to me, especially for a 10.5 SEER unit.

I would opt for a little bit higher SEER rating along with a scroll compressor. I would think you could get a good unit with say around a 11.5 to 12.5 SEER rating for cheaper than that.

I paid about $3600 for an Amana (3 ton) 11.5-12 SEER unit 2 years ago, that was installed with a digital thermostat.

I'm wondering if they are adding in the extra $$ because of the work on the ducts, new return air install, etc.?

I'm thinking of calling around to get a few more quotes.

Anyone have any ideas as to the most reliable system out there?  How about Rheem?  I know to avoid Janitrol like the plague, though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a new return installed as well. Before, the old one was in the basement and I had another installed upstairs.

I would definately get some more quotes.

I did look at a Rheem unit and from what I could tell they were comparable to the Janitrol. I did not opt for it.

The one unit I found with the best warranty and was also the highest in price was the Lennox. I have talked to some in the HVAC business that said Lennox was right at the top in their opinion.

Whatever unit you do go with, make SURE it comes with the *scroll* compressor. It is much quieter and supposedly has a longer life than an ordinary piston compressor. Not all units come with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
scroll is quieter too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'm also thinking of waiting until at least Dec. 31 - for a few reasons.

1 - better pricing as these companies are slow that time of year.

2 - That is when the new Energy Bill Tax Credits kick in  - if I get a 13 SEER or higher unit, then I will get up to a $500 credit.

3 - Gives me some time to see just how bad my current system really is.  Since my wife is going to be working from home and will be running the system a lot, it might give us a better idea as to just how costly it is to run it.

4 - More time to get more quotes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got a quote on a Comfortmaker AC, 2.5 ton heat pump, 10 SEER, with new furnace/air handler, digital thermostat, additional intake, repair of existing ductwork, etc. for $4800.

Grey, I thought you decided that if it wasn't broke you wouldn't fix it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
GO TO CONSUMER REPORTS , COM ,  fOR $ 4.95 FOR A MONTH, YOU CAN LOOK UP ANYTHING.
i USED THIS FOR A NEW LAWN TRACTOR THIS SUMMER, AND OTHER THINGS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grey, I thought you decided that if it wasn't broke you wouldn't fix it?

That's what I'm thinking now.  I guess the mold in the air handler is a concern, but on the flip side I can probably clean that out myself, or get it cleaned cheap.  I'm sitting here right now, it is cool, the AC is running but it is quiet, and I'm comfortable.  Should be interesting tomorrow when I call them to cancel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple months ago I got a 4 ton trane, 11 seer (I think) and a couple ducts installed for 4500 bucks, plus a few other little odds and ends. My house isn't energy effecient enough to take advantage of the higher seer units the guy said. I did some research and it does seem like in order to utilize the higher seer units you need to start with an energy efficient house.

I have a 2000 sq ft house. Maybe defridge can add his opinion on this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, I'm also thinking of waiting until at least Dec. 31 - for a few reasons.

1 - better pricing as these companies are slow that time of year.

2 - That is when the new Energy Bill Tax Credits kick in  - if I get a 13 SEER or higher unit, then I will get up to a $500 credit.

3 - Gives me some time to see just how bad my current system really is.  Since my wife is going to be working from home and will be running the system a lot, it might give us a better idea as to just how costly it is to run it.

4 - More time to get more quotes.

Several weeks ago, a local A/C service tech told me that the 13+ SEER systems will be considerably more expensive than the current models. Aside from the cost of the higher-efficiency compressor and greater evaporator/condensor surface area, the physical size and weight will be higher - which increases shipping charges. Also, some A/C contractors will be dumping their existing stock at a discount, since they won't be able to legally sell it after January 1.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Starting next year 12.0 SEER is the minimum.  10.0 is not good probably will not run cheap either.  Is most of that cost installation?  Also have the work checked by a non-related 2nd contractor to see it is done right.  I have a friend that does this and he says Afro-engineering is the norm.  Tranes I have always been told are the best and usually cheapest to run.  Ask Dr.Frige he might be of some help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 3 and 4 ton Trane units that are about 15 years old and still checking out fine every year.  The A/C Tech I use says they're good units and known for reliability.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a new Trane 3.5 ton 17SEER  system installed in the spring. My electric bill is $50 less a month compared to last summer. My advice is get the most efficient system you can afford and it will pay for itself over its lifetime. This system has 10 year warranty inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I was quoted $2500 for a 10 SEER, 2.5 ton Goodman.  My install is a bit tricky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Seems a bit high to me. I have been getting quotes for complete 4 ton 12 SEER Carrier/Rheem systems for under $4000, installed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I went ahead and cancelled the install.  Going to wait and see what happens over the next few months.  If my unit runs OK, then I'll just wait until I absolutely need to replace it.  Plus if I wait till next year there are nice tax credits for getting the higher efficiency units.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I got a new Trane 3.5 ton 17SEER  system installed in the spring. My electric bill is $50 less a month compared to last summer. My advice is get the most efficient system you can afford and it will pay for itself over its lifetime. This system has 10 year warranty inside and out.

Somewhat the same $$$ change  here. June bill of $180 but July's was only $120.  A new Trane 17.8SEER did the trick but  I also added a HEPA  housing that was a never installed leftover from a hospital OR and used a 4 ton furnace to make up the airflow difference.   I couldn't pass up the price.... my labor only and the kicker is that the house runs about 40% humidity and allows a comfortable  T-stat setting of 80F.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 on the Trane. I had a Junkitrol in my first home. POS was so inneficient. The house I bought 2 yrs ago had a Goodman , same crap as the Janitrl. Too inefficient.

Got the Trane,  and it saves me $$ every month. The extra cost almost paid for itself in the first year of savings.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Several weeks ago, a local A/C service tech told me that the 13+ SEER systems will be considerably more expensive than the current models. Aside from the cost of the higher-efficiency compressor and greater evaporator/condensor surface area, the physical size and weight will be higher - which increases shipping charges. Also, some A/C contractors will be dumping their existing stock at a discount, since they won't be able to legally sell it after January 1.

Well let me correct a few discrepencies here.

Not all A/C service men know what they are talking about!

The 13+ SEER systems will be slightly cheaper after the 26th of January because that is all the manufacturers will be able to make per the Fed .gov!

It will be legal to sell 10, 11 and 12 SEER equipment as long as it lasts which may not be very long with the massive destruction in the Gulf States.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starting next year 12.0 SEER is the minimum.  10.0 is not good probably will not run cheap either.  Is most of that cost installation?  Also have the work checked by a non-related 2nd contractor to see it is done right.  I have a friend that does this and he says Afro-engineering is the norm.  Tranes I have always been told are the best and usually cheapest to run.  Ask Dr.Frige he might be of some help.

More discrepencies to clear...

Starting January 26th the minimum SEER rating that Manufacturers will be able to manufacture is 13 SEER.

With the skyrocketing cost of Electricity and Natural Gas it would be wise to consider 14-15 SEER anyway!

The more money you can keep in your pocket and not in the pocket of Uncle Sugar the better off you are!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Whatever unit you do go with, make SURE it comes with the *scroll* compressor. It is much quieter and supposedly has a longer life than an ordinary piston compressor. Not all units come with them.

Scroll compressors are quieter but they will and do go out just like the recip's do.

Just because it has a scroll doesn't mean it will last any longer but the majority of higher efficiency units will  have scrolls in them.

I have sold several 15 SEER Heat Pumps lately that have 2 stages of cooling and 2 stages of heating for a lower use of electricity and greater comfort.

I have a 12 SEER in my house that is over 5 years old and I have never had any problems with but I am thinking about putting one of these in because of the additional savings!

More money saved is more gun and ammo money to spend!

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top