Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:52:35 PM EDT
I have been considering buying a Carhartt jacket as I have heard good things about them. In factone of my shooting buddies in Washington has had his for sevral years and swears by it. I mainly want one to go shooting in during the rainy season and such here in the Northwest and was wondering just how good are they. Ebay has lots of them but was also wondering if there is a better place on the web to go buy carhartt stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear one of the short waist length ones in the winter. I like it. Got a good deal in Cabelas IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Carhartts get heavy when they get wet since most are made from heavy cotton canvas.
They are fine when dry but you may regret it if you get soaked.
They aren't exactly quiet so it wouldn't be very practical for hunting.
Cabelas has a great selection of Carhartts
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I look foward to fall and winter just so I can wear them. It seems every time I go outside, I have my bibs on.
They don't work very well when wet, but  dry, they are great and very warm.
As for them being quiet, every deer I've ever shot did not seem to notice. Most of these were shot from sitting in front of a tree on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My Carhartt was given to me by my boss [Safway Scaffolding], best way to get one. They are not water proof so not good for heavy downpours. But very warm and durable as hell. One of the few brands the oil refinery allows you to wear outside your Nomex. I also have the insulated bibs...excellent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wear one of the short waist length ones in the winter. I like it. Got a good deal in Cabelas IIRC.

Thats what I wear.  Hell I don't even wear a winter coat anymore, just that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I think some companies require employees to buy their own carhart gear as well. Work N Gear here seems to be the big sellers of them as The Sportsman's Guide is too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never gotten my Carhart wet enough to soak thru.

With that said, I've read of ppl from your side of the country (and Canadian coast) that swear by "tin cloth" or wax jackets.  I'm not sure if those are the same or not.  My impression is that both are like canvas with wax melted into it.  Every few years you have to have new wax melted in, however they are much more waterproof than a Carhartt, and people say they will last for 20 years or more.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I think my Carhartt "Barn Coat" is going to be replaced this year after 10+ years of solid use. The cuffs are just completely gone, and the shoulders are getting very thin on the outside. It's been soaked in gasoline, kerosene, hexane (), hydraulic fluid, motor oil, cottonseed oil, soybean oil and cow shit. It's been covered in cement, feed, hay, dirt, sand, snow, ice, carbon black, lime, soybean meal and more cow shit. It's been through the washer more times than Keith Richards' liver, but keeps on copmin' back for more. The blamket lining is like new. This coat has been through everything with me, but it's time for a new one.

When soaked through, they weigh a ton, but you've got to be ina driving rain for like 30 minuted to get them to soak through.

Like TBK1, they're the only jeans in my closet. I fired Levis about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Good stuff, I have a insulated coverall set I wear when its really cold. Durable, practical and not to expensive. i am thinking of getting a coat myself. I have been looking at the sweatshirt as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Carhart is very good at what it is, more or less a working man's Filson. I have a couple of Carharts, and I would just advise to not wash the jackets unless you have to. Washing them really seems to accelerate them wearing out, which they will if you wear them enough, and hard enough. I remember a long time ago one of the local surplus stores having a worn out Carhart contest...you wouldn't believe the punishment some of those jackets have taken...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a good 7 years out of my coat, and most of that was working construction and rough use. I had a black artic liner. Only time I had to zip it up was in single digit degree cold.  They do soak up water.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My Carhartt pants fell apart after maybe 9 months.  I was surprised and disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Carhartt jacket that is very comfortable.  All of my pants are Carhartts too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Great outside work clothes.

For recreation I like lighter synthetics .

GM
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think some companies require employees to buy their own carhart gear as well. Work N Gear here seems to be the big sellers of them as The Sportsman's Guide is too.

The Sportsman'sGude? I never realized that they sold Carhartt.

I didn't realize Carhartt was so durable and used so much. Thanks guys you sold me on getting one!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in the town that I'm told has the lowest average temperatures in the country, the lower 49 I'm sure.
I got the heavy jacket and couldn't use it more than a few times because it is way too hot to work in, even in near blizzard conditions. Don't buy the heavy one unless you are a supervisor.

I was comfortable standing on top of a mountain in heavy blowing snow watching the New Years fireworks they were trying to set off a couple of years ago. It was about right for that. Pay attention to the wet issue.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotta pair of Carhart bibs that I've been wearing for 5+ years in mud, snow and everything in between.  Swear by them and will not use anything else.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I only wear their jeans (heavy 15 3/4 oz. denim)--no Levi's for me.  Wranglers are too wimpy for the way I spend my weekends.  Carharts are abot $30/pair and very durable.  They are the standard by which others are measured.

ditto. same excellent cut as levi's, ll bean, and cabela's and the material is every bit as tough.

my only beef is the watch pocket. it's just a simple patch pocket sewn in. on the others it's a longer pocket so when you pull the threads in the bottom you can actually slip a pocket knife with a clip in there. not so on the carhartts but at almost half the price of levis and significantly less than the others i'll put up with it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have bibs and a jacket use them when I have to stay outside long amounts of time plowing snow and I use them for hunting,  I surprised they fell apart on anyone, mine are very rugged.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I work at Cabelas and the most popular ones we sell are Cabelas brand of work wear and Carhartt brand.
The general consensus of the customers is that the price is average on the Carhartts. They can be found cheaper at the local Gander Mountain and Fleet Farm but we do price matching so if you know which model it is we will price match or better. We also have the unconditional guarantee on clothing that if you are ever not satisfied with the purchase, return it for a refund. Some of the returns are bogus but we honor it up to a point.
The Carhartt brand holds up better to wear than the Cabelas brand but the Cabelas brand stuff has a wider size range.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Carhartt's are my "uniform". I buy them whenever they go on sale, wear them casually until they start to look old, then use them as work- and barn-clothes.

They're comfortable, fit great, the belt loops are in the right places for my holster and mag pouch, and there's enough room in the legs for an ankle holster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My Carhartt pants fell apart after maybe 9 months.  was surpris and disappointed.

You are supposed to take them off and wash them every on in a whileA

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#26]
carhartt also has a waterproof line, its like 1000 cordura, instead of the cotton duck material.  They also make nomex stuff too.  

On another note, two years ago I was in Rome for a vacation and there was a carhartt store so I checked it out.  Over there it was like a high priced designer brand store, it was 4X as much as the stuff here cause they wore it like calvin klein!  Crazy to see someone buying a pair of work dungaree's for 150 euro
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I have noticed that their boots are now made in China.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#28]
When it's 5 degrees above zero outside, a set of insulated Carharrt coveralls will keep you nice & toasty warm. I love em.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I purchased my first pair of Carhartt pants six months ago. They are great pants! I've contemplated buying a jacket for winter. I really like this cotton duck material... I'd like to have a suit made out of the stuff. I understand military fatigues were made out of cotton duck before they switched over to the softer but less durable mercerized cotton.

Galland

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Spend the extra money and buy a Filson.  It is worth it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I got a carhart for x-mas about 5 years ago, have warn it pretty heavilly doing just about every kind of hunting you can imagine and it doesnt have so much as a loose thread on it yet.  FWIW, It's lasted 10x better than anything I ever got from filson.

Try Sears.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I never understood the oiled/waxed cotton thing.
Feels gross, cold and clammy and leaves residue all over the seats.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I agree twonami, never did like that wet,oilly cotton thing that filson uses.
On another note, I dont know how big you other guys are, but carrharts are available in big, fat guy sizes.  I've never been able to find anything made by Filson that fits anyone over 130 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I have had very good luck with my Filson products.  The carharrt jackets I have had shred rapidly.  The sleeves fray and go to pieces, particularly.  

The oily residue from Filsons is a pain, that is true.  The upside is you don't need to remember about bringing a raincoat.  The stuff turns brush, too.  I can survive a trip into the multiflora rose with them.      

I usually keep my hunting clothes separate from my work clothes, but I don't hesitate to use the Filsons if I am cutting brush or using the chainsaw.  

If you live in a dry climate I can see the Carharrt would give good service.  For my cedar swamps and rose thickets I will stick with the Filsons.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Carharrt is good chit. Anybody who works outside probably wears Carharrt in the winter.

When I was up in Alaska, nearly everybody wore Carharrt gear.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]
So how does the Dickies brand of apparell compare to the Carhartt stuff. I have afew pairs of Dickies pants that I had to have for work and they wore real well. Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I agree twonami, never did like that wet,oilly cotton thing that filson uses.
On another note, I dont know how big you other guys are, but carrharts are available in big, fat guy sizes.  I've never been able to find anything made by Filson that fits anyone over 130 lbs.

Carhartts do come in all sorts of sizes and if your in a real bind the Cabelas stuff comes in all kinds of weird sizes. From short skinnys to big a 6X if I remember
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Overpriced and over-hyped....

One can shop around and find Filson for about the same price as Carhartt...and Filson WILL outlast and outwork the rest. Shop smart and you can find Filson for the same money...

Granted Filson is not as popular (can be more expensive) and most of their garments are wool based...but in cold climates wool is far superior to ANY of the micro-fleeece wonder wool crap. Wool still insulates when wet - period. Dries quicker, and generally lasts longer.

I've wore a pairs of Carhartt  bibs out (knees,pockets,crotch) in a single year calving,welding and Elk hunting. My Filson coat, guide sweater and bibs are just now getting comforatble after 3 years - and look nearly new.

Seems to me that Carhartt has targeted the Metrosexual week-end rodeo, PBR crowd. I'd have never bought Filson myself...especially for the price...but after owning a piece or two...and seeing for myself the duarbility of their garments...I'm done with Carhartt.

And no, I do  not work for Filson.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Overpriced and over-hyped....

One can shop around and find Filson for about the same price as Carhartt...and Filson WILL outlast and outwork the rest. Shop smart and you can find Filson for the same money...

Granted Filson is not as popular (can be more expensive) and most of their garments are wool based...but in cold climates wool is far superior to ANY of the micro-fleeece wonder wool crap. Wool still insulates when wet - period. Dries quicker, and generally lasts longer.

I've wore a pairs of Carhartt  bibs out (knees,pockets,crotch) in a single year calving,welding and Elk hunting. My Filson coat, guide sweater and bibs are just now getting comforatble after 3 years - and look nearly new.

Seems to me that Carhartt has targeted the Metrosexual week-end rodeo, PBR crowd. I'd have never bought Filson myself...especially for the price...but after owning a piece or two...and seeing for myself the duarbility of their garments...I'm done with Carhartt.

And no, I do  not work for Filson.

YMMV

Go near any large construction project in the winter you will see mostly Carhart. their clothing is made tough. I some areas the Gangsta's have started wearing Carharts for some reason which drives up the prices for those of us who use them at work. As to the Filson wool based line yes it's great stuff in the cold /wet areas you can't beat wool based there.
Compairing Dickies to Carhart is like compairing a Mack truck to a old Nissian they may both be trucks but which one is toughter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#40]
It was the only jacket that I wore when I lived in SE Alaska. Best damn jacket I own. My little lady bought mine for me a couple of Christmas' ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My jacket is great.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.   I bought it from a local Western wear store.

Gebo's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top