Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 4:24:14 PM EDT
I just bought a new PC that has Nero Express 6 installed. I tried to copy a movie onto a blank DVD-R disc and Nero said the movie was copy write protected and I could not copy it. How do you guys get around the copy write, I know there is a way, all the guys at work copy movies!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Obtain:

AnyDVD to open the DVD
CloneDVD to copy them

Oh yeah... and I didn't tell you that, because neither you nor I copy DVDs... got it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
DVDShrink and DVD Decryptor are very useful for making archival backup copies of discs you already own.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
DVD shrink works well with Nero.  

Edit to add, DVD shrink is free, Google will help you find it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I use DVD Decrypter to remove the copyright, the use DVD Shrink to shrink the movie to fit on a standard single layer disc. You can also use Nero Recode to shrink the movie. I only backup the main movie when shrinking and leave out all the extras. Gives a better quality picture.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a few specialized programs that will do it.  DVDShrink is easy, free, and effective.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I'll try these out!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well…..this is proving to be more challenging than I had anticipated!  

I have Nero, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink installed and can’t seem to get a movie to burn. I tried burning Shark Tales first, but it’s a big movie with a lot of extra crap on the disc, I think my problem was getting the extra tracks not needed deleted out.

Next I tried U571, I figured it’s just a basic movie, nothing fancy. I figured out how to shrink the movie to fit the disc and saved the TS Video and TS Audio files to the hard drive. It took over 2 hours for the whole process, is that typical?

Is there a sequence to the process? First DVD shrink to extract the info, then remove the decrypt copywrite block using DVD Decrypter and finally burning to disc using Nero? I have some guides saved from each program but for a nube PC nerd they’re a bit vague.

Is there a step by step guide that will take the PC illiterate through the whole process?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Afterdawn has a pretty good step-by-step guide for DVDShrink

There is also a link on that page to a DVD Decryptor guide, as well.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea, that's one of the sites I have saved. Are there any out there that can take it down a notch more for the REALLY PC ignorant!

I need my hand held on this one!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, let's see if I can help you here.

First, yes there is a sequence to the process.  DVD Decrypter first (save files to hard drive) then use DVDShrink to compress the files down to fit on a DVDR.  Many times you won't even have to use DVD Decrypter as long as DVD Shrink doesn't choke on the disc encryption.

Second, I'm not sure why you're saving the files from DVD Shrink to your hard drive.  It'll work, but it's kind of a useless step (unless you're going to burn more than one copy).  I usually just backup right to a blank disc (DVD Shrink will prompt you to insert the blank at the appropriate time).
And yes, the re-encoding process does take quite awhile (about 1 to 1.5 hours on my PC).

Third, removing extra stuff from the DVD isn't necessary to fit the full DVD on a blank, but it will improve the quality (less compression on the main movie).  On most discs, I remove foreign language subtitles and soundtracks.  That's often enough to significantly reduce compression.

Hope that help a little more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help, I’ll have to try playing around some more. It’s just a drag when it takes two hours for DVD shrink to do it’s thing, then nothing works!

Right now I have U571 TS files on my HD and don’t know what to do. I tried following the guide for burning using DVD Shrink and a window popped up about some type of missing program, I’m such a nube at this I can’t even tell you what the message meant!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the full version of Nero 6 with DVDshrink for all my movie burning needs. Normally I remove all extra features, languages, and lower the vid quality to fit the 4.7 gig disks. Depending on the ammount of "shrinking" needed it some times can take awhile. Program is very easy to use.

I also sent you  (QUIB) an email with a off-line question.

I normally use just single layer disks (4.7gig) and DVDshrink, but some times I use a full dual layer (8.5gig) if I want to keep all the features and quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top