Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:10:00 AM EDT
vehicle is a '93 Lexus GS300

A couple days ago my AC light started blinking and my AC shut off.

I played with the switch and it came back on, so I ignored it.

later it started making noise, like low power steering fluid when I turned the wheel,

later It got REALLY LOUD even when I didnt turn the wheel, the noise is coming

from the power steering/ac compressor area, since they are right on top of one

another I cant tell which is making the noise.  So then I turn the AC off,

AND THE NOISE GOES AWAY

So then I figure it was the ac compressor, but now, its making the power steering

noise when I turn the wheel, yet again.

So could my power steering noise/problem be made louder/worse by the ac being on?  and its just

the power steering pump going out and not the compressor?

thanks for your advise, I searched this topic, yet could not find someone with this problem
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Wild guess:  tighten your belts
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the a/c still cooling?

Is the steering hard to turn?

Possibilities are:

a/c compressor siezed and serpentine belt is dragging on the pulley with the compressor on.

p/s may be having a pump problem.

check the idler pulley on the serpentine belt and make sure it isn't siezing up and making noise.

Be easier to tell by looking, but, well, no way to do that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Possible that the Ac system was just low on charge so it cut the compressor off and turned the light on. You got the system to run by playing with the switch and since the system may have been low on charge and lube for the compressor is part of the charge the compressor burned. So the its possible a burned up compresso is making the noise.

Have you checked the codes ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
vehicle is a '93 Lexus GS300

A couple days ago my AC light started blinking and my AC shut off.

I played with the switch and it came back on, so I ignored it.

later it started making noise, like low power steering fluid when I turned the wheel,

later It got REALLY LOUD even when I didnt turn the wheel, the noise is coming

from the power steering/ac compressor area, since they are right on top of one

another I cant tell which is making the noise.  So then I turn the AC off,

AND THE NOISE GOES AWAY

So then I figure it was the ac compressor, but now, its making the power steering

noise when I turn the wheel, yet again.

So could my power steering noise/problem be made louder/worse by the ac being on?  and its just

the power steering pump going out and not the compressor?

thanks for your advise, I searched this topic, yet could not find someone with this problem

Sounds like the compressor/clutch is cooked.  If it was just the compressor, when it was switched off, the problem would go away.  If it is the clutch, then when it is switched off, the problem doesn't go away.  They are probably sold as one part.  I know they are on my Chevy pickup.  

Have you run it both ways with the hood up observing what is going on?  You know, there is usually a pressure switch on top of the reservoir that you can short out with a wire to keep the compressor engaged regardless of the charge in the system.  

Let us know.  I'll be the one under the tree next to the cold beer.

John
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Hit the compressor a few times with a crescent wrench and swear at it.  See if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sounds like the compressor/clutch is cooked.  If it was just the compressor, when it was switched off, the problem would go away.  If it is the clutch, then when it is switched off, the problem doesn't go away.  They are probably sold as one part.  I know they are on my Chevy pickup.  

Have you run it both ways with the hood up observing what is going on?  You know, there is usually a pressure switch on top of the reservoir that you can short out with a wire to keep the compressor engaged regardless of the charge in the system.  

Let us know.  I'll be the one under the tree next to the cold beer.

John

+1 I think you'll find that the clutch has gone out on you.  Check your belts, and look for other problems in your belt/pully system.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top