Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
I'm looking for any advice someone may have in having the local FD come and burn down a building/house for them?

I have a old, old house that my father never took care of in 30 yrs and I want to sell the properity. The land is worth more with the house gone. Its just a wreck and I'm still living in it. Thats way I would like any advice on this, before I talk to the local FD. The local township has become increasling hostile to older home owners, we pay a lot less in taxes than the new homes. I don't want to start something with them right now.

I don't really have the money to get it torn down, the township wants a $20,000 bond before we can have it torn down.

So any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My parents donated a house to the local FD several years ago for the purposes of a training burn.

I don't recall them having to post any bond.

What are you going to live in in the meantime? A trailer?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are there any exposures (other buildings), near the house?

I kind'a doubt any Fire Chief or training officer wiil want to touch it if there's any chance of the fire
extending to other structures or property.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Local FD does this about every two years around here, our county's nothing but small towns so it's usually a mixed crowd of local + out of town volunteer firefighters no matter which town it's in as most local FD work together anyway.

Give the FD a call, couldn't hurt to check into it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on the location, it would have to be a relatively small exposure hazard to other structures or brush.  The local EPA may complain about pollution from burning roofing materials.  It is becoming more and more difficult to pull these off any more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Im a Firefighter, and we do this in my area...

Give the local dept a call, let them know you want it gone, they may require you remove some things. We usually send over the training officer to check it out, and a crew to go in and remove the toxic things that are not supposed to be burned, and Add extra sheetrock to add to the burn time.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
well hell yes.  we're fixing to burn down an old trailer house so we can get a rough idea of just how fast those bastards go up.................
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
no need in calling in the FD to do it.  

I'm glad to offer my services
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Depending on the location, it would have to be a relatively small exposure hazard to other structures or brush.  The local EPA may complain about pollution from burning roofing materials.  It is becoming more and more difficult to pull these off any more.

+1

back when I was a volly we did a few of these but the EPA was always bitching about pollution.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
no need in calling in the FD to do it.  

I'm glad to offer my services

Call the local FD, Our local FD always loved those kind of training burns. Like another poster said, they like to do things to add to the burn time.

The fire Fighters like it because they get valuable training , the home owner likes it because it's cheaper than demolition. Can't hurt to ask. If the locals say no, ask another neighboring FD.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm looking for any advice someone may have in having the local FD come and burn down a building/house for them?

I have a old, old house that my father never took care of in 30 yrs and I want to sell the properity. The land is worth more with the house gone. Its just a wreck and I'm still living in it. Thats way I would like any advice on this, before I talk to the local FD. The local township has become increasling hostile to older home owners, we pay a lot less in taxes than the new homes. I don't want to start something with them right now.

I don't really have the money to get it torn down, the township wants a $20,000 bond before we can have it torn down.

Thanks!

Tell them they have 2 choices:  waive the bond and get the increased tax revenue when a new house is built by the new owner, or you can continue to live in it and pay less taxes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
They did one here in my town two months ago.

The state required them to remove the asbestos flooring and insulation, to remove the lead based paint and to remove the lead solder pipes.

It took them almost 2 months to remeadite the house and it cost them about $5k to do it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
We've done it less and less over the years.  For one we got a fire tower and two it's just becoming more of a pain in the rear to pull off.  But concrete and natural gas just can't replace a real structure.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We've done it less and less over the years.  For one we got a fire tower and two it's just becoming more of a pain in the rear to pull off.  But concrete and natural gas just can't replace a real structure.

members.cox.net/smlnbndt/images/FullFlame.JPG

that is why i can't be a fireman.  fires are just to freaking cool!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

members.cox.net/smlnbndt/images/FullFlame.JPG

Great flashover pic!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If the locals say no, ask another neighboring FD.

That's a joke right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much impossible in our area now.  The properties must be remediated (as noted above) to remove asbestos and other toxics.  And also the Air Quality Board gets involved.

(insert your favorite ethnic group here) lightning?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Get anything you want out. And accidental spill some gas and forget to put out the lit candle in the other room.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Dunno, but they are a lot of fun to watch..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Just barricade yourself inside and call the ATF.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They did one here in my town two months ago.

The state required them to remove the asbestos flooring and insulation, to remove the lead based paint and to remove the lead solder pipes.

Never had to remove the soldered pipes or roofing, but we only had to follow FED EPA which requires removing the Asbestos from the house - usually tiles and pipe/boiler insulation.

ETA - don't forget to have the FD sign a donation receipt... you can deduct the value of the structure from your taxes next year.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

back when I was a volly we did a few of these but the EPA was always bitching about pollution.  

This is why we don't do it............ That and people complain about the smoke........
Now when i went to fire school......... we burnt down a 12 bed roomer! on a training burn..........
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Pretty much impossible in our area now.  The properties must be remediated (as noted above) to remove asbestos and other toxics.  And also the Air Quality Board gets involved.

(insert your favorite ethnic group here) lightning?

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thanks!

You may have some trouble getting approval in MI.  A few years ago in Roscommon? 2 or 3 guys died in a training fire.  That really clamped down on the burns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#26]
We used to do it  fairly often , smoke one up &  run rescue training  , then later  burn it , but  in the last few yrs Liability has been  a concern  ..
I guess it depends on the location
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]
We had a few older broken down farm building torched by local Vol. Fire Dept. years back.
We asked them to again burn a few more resently, said we had to remove the shingles first. (tar and oil based, black smoke enviremental...)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, when I was a youngin' back in IL. I was prob. sixish, or something around there. Definitly something to remember considering it was in a chicago suburb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top