Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
My ceiling fan is about to give up the ghost, the chains keep breaking. I am thinking of buying one that has a wireless remote control. After reading the limited reviews I am seeing people have a lot of problems with them. Does anyone  out there have one with a remote and how has it worked for you, and what model is it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Had one for 15 years w/no problems other that having to be close to make it work
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two new ones that are remote.  They are made by Harbor Breeze.  The only issue that I have with them is that they only use one of the switches on the wall.  The other just goes dead.  The only  problem that I have is that you have to know where the freakin remote is to turn on the light.  It has a glow in the dark button for the light but it doesn't glow for very long.  Oh well, they were a present from the inlaws so I don't complain.

Debo
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I love our remote.  The wife desires fan, I want no fan.  Too bad it doesn't have split controls.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one from Lowe's last year, and I've had zero problems with it
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
They suck...All of them.  The remotes range aint for shit,  batterys die,  get lost,  loose programing(or someone F-ing mucks w/it)  and are a bitch to wire in  I hate those things and charged an extra 100 bucks to install it.(Hunter and Habour Bay) because I end up making at least 2 trips...One to get it working again and the second to uninstall the bastard.

Have a nice day
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
We have one and have been very satisified except for the wall switch/wiring things.  We had all of ours set up with a wall switch for the light and constant power for the fan (so you use the pull).  The cordless one only uses one power feed, so if it was on the switch, that would override the remote and if it was on constant power, that would leave a dead switch.

Noting that the light would be worthless without the remote in hand (not something normally to be in hand when walking in a dark room), we added a wall sconce above the switch so you can always have some light when entering and the left the fan on constant power so the remote always works.  

We like it, but all of the above being said, I will also tell you we only bought it for the style.  We did not know it had the remote  thing untilI unboxed it.  The wall sconce was a solution after the fact.  It took her two monthes to find a fan she liked.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
We've got one that works fine.  I bought the ceiling fan and the remote kit separately from Lowes.  I can't remember the brand.  The remote goes in where the wall switch would go.  Power is constant to the fan the controller module dims the light, and turns on the fan at different speeds.  Works great.  

My one and only complaint is that the asshats that designed the remote some how failed to notice that it is mounted millimeters from 120 VAC and powered it with BATTERIES.  One stupid design feature aside, we've had no problems with it for over two years (haven't even had to change the battery yet).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I love our remote.  The wife desires fan, I want no fan.  Too bad it doesn't have split controls.

couldn't you just take 2 blades of it?

I got a remote control in my bedroom.  It works great.  I leave the remote control hooked into its holder on the wall most of the time, given my propensity of losing important things like remote controls.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I built my new house last year and put remote control Fans (the Hampton Bay Windward II from Home Depot with the twisted blades modeled after the propeller blades from the Gossamer Albatross) in the Living Room and Master Bedroom.  I have had no trouble with them at all, I'm still on the first set of batteries in the remotes and I LOVE hem!
Get good quality and you won't have a problem.

Futuristic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top