Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:42:20 PM EDT
Man I am itching to order some bling bling for my rifles and the big 3 are not delivering in my area. I am pissed. Lets see the roads are all cleared, power is restored and I have phone service. The kids start school this week. I guess I have to find an ice cream truck somewhere
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
DHL?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they will get back on line very quickly.

My company makes dialysis meters and our customers die if they go three days w/o care.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man I am itching to order some bling bling for my rifles and the big 3 are not delivering in my area. I am pissed. Lets see the roads are all cleared, power is restored and I have phone service. The kids start school this week. I guess I have to find an ice cream truck somewhere

Many of the terminals that the stuff has to go through have been destroyed or damaged.  Just because you're in an area that is unaffected, it may be serviced by a terminal that is no longer operating, or operating at partial capacity.  

They locate these terminals so they don't overlap in the area covered due to efficiency.  They have to actually operate out of a facility that is maybe up to 100 miles away from your location, so deliveries would be prioritized, and delays are probable when you're adding three hours of driving time for a person to get to his route.  Three hours back, and that six hours cuts into how long a person can be "on station".

Some employees have damage and some are still missing.  Remember, they are just working stiffs just like everyone else in the effected areas.

Even if your area is unaffected by the disaster, and even if your freight path would normally be in service anywy, remember that with terminals down or reduced, that extra freight has to go throuhg a working terminal, which will delay all freight.

I work for one of the companies mentioned, and we are still operating and delivering in much of the disaster area.  We're missing people, alot of people.  Some terminals were closed, and a couple are trying to get done what they can, but without power to run computers, with water damage, with equipment damage, with no fuel deliveries, with employees missing and possibly dead, and far more shipments running through routes not designed to take that volume, you can possibly understand that some things might be slightly delayed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top