Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 11:51:12 AM EDT
As I was driving to work this morning , I passed a car with three small American flag stickers on the trunk lid . The problem is , they were upside down .  I'm sure it's some sort of protest against George Bush or the Republicans and I believe in their right to peacefull protest . Still pissed me off though .

What's with everyone refering to New Orleans as " NOLA " ?   I've lived in Louisiana all of my life and my Mother is from New Orleans .   NOBODY here calls it " NOLA " .

OK , I'm finished now .
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Upside down flag is SUPPOSED to be a signal of distress. It has been co-opted by the liberals as meaning the US is being screwed by President Bush/Republicans/conservatives.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
NOLA is a shortcut to typing New Orleans or New Orleans, La.  Widely used by gobberment, people, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
      What's with everyone refering to New Orleans as " NOLA " ?   I've lived in Louisiana all of my life and my Mother is from New Orleans .   NOBODY here calls it " NOLA " .

I'm starting to see this a lot as geographical shorthand, i.e., NOLA, NEPA, NOVA.. a little annoying if you don't already know what the writer means.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You've never used CONUS, US, POTUS, USA, AL as abbreviations?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You've never used CONUS, US, POTUS, USA, AL as abbreviations?

Those abbreviations are commonplace .   " NOLA " is never used here in Louisiana . At least not by the natives .  It's an insignificant thing I know . Just felt like bitching . Too hot to go outside .
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So if you were making a post, and writing new orleans 50 times would cost you the time of your boss walking in and catching you use company time, or typing NOLA would give you time to hit Submit before he walks in, which is more advantageous?

The situation has become a conversation peice, making it common place.

But hey, I understand, everyone needs to vent sometime, whether it is a fart or rant. Didn't mean to seem like I jumped on you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Fair enough my friend .  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top