Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 11:26:17 AM EDT
Went to volunteer this morning at the Astrodome. The HCHD has set-up a full service hospital inside the Reliant Arena. This facility was simply amazing. Enclosed inside was a fully functional urgent care facility with triage, observation unit, specialty surgical services, central supply, pharmacy, mental/behavioral health.

This was built up in less than 48 hours complete with x-ray, eye glass manufacturing, orthotic and bracing distribution. ALL of the staff there were volunteers. There were more volunteer physicians, nurses, etc than patients. I worked in the orthopedic clinic with another doctor from Pittsburgh who flew down on his own coin and had been working there all week 6:30am to 8:00pm.

This morning the clinic really had very few patients - most people were waiting for their debit cards or transferring out to outlying housing. The few patients I did encounter were all very nice, polite, and appreciative of the help they were getting.

All in all, I have nothing but praise for the Harris County Hospital District (funny, I used to hate it when I worked there) and for the City of Houston. Let J Jackson, A Sharpton, H Dean try to explain how this Red City is doing so much despite Katrina being a race issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top