Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
Subject: Mad at High Gas Prices
I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by summer's end.
Want gasoline prices to come down?  We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Here's a good idea, which makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.29 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $2.50-$2.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:
For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.  But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic) out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!  If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase
ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL.   That's all.  How long would all
that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!

Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Internet rule number one:

Never, ever, ever pay attention to an email that asks you to forward it to all your friends.  It is guaranteed to be BS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTSL

(In Before The Snopes Link)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Never, ever, ever pay attention to an email that asks you to forward it to all your friends.  It is guaranteed to be BS.

/\
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1

Sure, let's boycott the AMERICAN Oil company. That will really make the British, French, Canadian, etc oil companies lower their prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
That email was obviously not written by an economics major.

Or anyone who ever studied economics.

Or anyone who can spell economics.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Or knows why gas is really so expensive now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

If emails could be in big clumsy letters writtin in crayon, this one would be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW you all must have done nothing about the AWB.......

SNopes give me a fuckin break

Enough people act or react to this it can work and will.

I would bet doing this is more then any of you posters have ever done to lower gas prices.

Its a start

If you have any better ideas the by all means speak up!

But i haven heard any of you say dick about doing a damn thing.

STG you guy have got to be the most negative bunch  I have ever read about.....
No doubt Pro 2nd couldnt count on much with attitudes like this.

Its a means to an end and if more people push the oil companies, they will get the message and start putting pressure on lowering gas prices......

Since you are all such brainiacs

I REALLY want to hear your OFFICIAL and highly educated POV on why we are getting screwed like we are......

ACTION starts some place!

What are you doing!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Sigh. DAMN this one comes up alot.

Do me a favor and read the Snopes entry. It explains WHY this doesn't work. I'm beginning to think that economics should be taught in High School.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sure, let's boycott the AMERICAN Oil company. That will really make the British, French, Canadian, etc oil companies lower their prices.

Yes and tell me in your wise old style WHICH american oil companies BUY American OIL!

I know do you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do me a favor and read the Snopes entry. It explains WHY this doesn't work. I'm beginning to think that economics should be taught in High School.

IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA the by all means speak up..... But i havent read any of your posts where you have some great plan to push like this.

Ands since when did snopes become the greta internet brain child?

Did you ask them if the AWB was a hoax?

WTF?

Please keep laying down and getting screwed set back and enjoy it you deserve it
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay, since you asked.

The price of gasoline is controlled by two main factors: Supply and demand. You may have heard of these. The only reliable way to lower the price is the either A) Increase supply, or B) decrease demand.

The email suggestion will do neither. It would merely shift demand in the market from one supplier to another.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Okay, since you asked.

The price of gasoline is controlled by two main factors: Supply and demand. You may have heard of these. The only reliable way to lower the price is the either A) Increase supply, or B) decrease demand.

The email suggestion will do neither. It would merely shift demand in the market from one supplier to another.

Its a start and it will hurt.

Again DO YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#14]
As someone who was smart enough to benefit from high energy prices (by buying stock in XOM, etc.) please don't forward the email.  

I'm really just trying to point out that the "big oil companies" that "get rich" and "reap huge profits" are publically owned companies and the dividends and per share price increase builds wealth for millions of Americans.

G

PS - plus it is a poorly reasoned idea on its face
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, since you asked.

Yes.  Conserve fuel when you can, and decrease demand.  Demand is down 4% since Katrina.

There.  Now STFU.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, since you asked.

Actually, I have two, both of which will drive the price of gas down.

1) Build more refineries.
2) Use less gas.

That will impact both the supply and the demand sides of the supply-demand curve.

Sometimes "just doing something" is a total waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I am surprised with this group of gun owners that the AWB ever was pushed to die....so much inaction its rediculous.

Well I will stop responding

Pointless to push sleeping sheeple

BTW our usage increased by 100% when??????and that relfects just as most of you say at the pump with supply demand model?

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTS!
What edumacation did you guys get?
Did oil consumption double in the past two years?
YOU GUYs have totally lost it
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA the by all means speak up..... But i havent read any of your posts where you have some great plan to push like this.

Sure. Decrease demand over a sustained period of time, while encouraging legislators to remove roadblocks hampering the supply.

If the entire country refused to buy gas from Exxon and Mobil, the demand for gas from other suppliers would exceed the supply. They would have to raise their prices to keep from running out of gas on a regular basis.

This ridiculous scheme would raise prices, not lower them. Buy a motorcycle, or something.

One more time: ANY EMAIL THAT TELLS YOU TO SEND THIS TO "X" NUMBER OF FRIENDS IS A HOAX. At best, it's written by an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#19]
you do know that we aren't the only country that uses oil or gas.  there is always going to be a high demand for oil, and gas.....if it ain't here, then somewhere else. you keep forgetting that this is a world economy, in order for the price of gas to go down, that means that everybody on the planet would have to cut down on gas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Exxonmobile is one company, not two. Conocophillips is the second largest refiner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am surprised with this group of gun owners that the AWB ever was pushed to die....so much inaction its rediculous.

BTW our usage increased by 100% when??????and that relfects just as most of you say at the pump with supply demand model?

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTS!

What a silly comparison. The AWB was a law. It had NOTHING to do with the economics of supply and demand. Positive law is very influenced by opinions and letter writing campaigns. Prices in a free market are not.

I does not require a 100% increase in demand to incur a 100% increase in price. It is painfully obvious you have never even take and introductory economics class. You might want to give this book a read.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA the by all means speak up

I do.  Lay down the crack pipe and back away from the computer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#23]

If the entire country refused to buy gas from Exxon and Mobil, the demand for gas from other suppliers would exceed the supply. They would have to raise their prices to keep from running out of gas on a regular basis.

I don't think it would raise prices.  They'd just buy gas from Exxon or Mobil since those two companies would have an excess.

The real problem with this theory is that gas is a commodity.  Shifting demand from one commodity supplier to another doesn't significantly affect the price.z
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTS!

That's funny. You some how extrapolate that because people don't want to buy into 5th grade "economics" that it somehow translates into us being totally inactive in trying to get the AWB to expire

WTF? You have no idea what I or anyone else here did to help the AWB to expire. Making assumptions, as the old saying goes, only makes an ass out of u and me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not happy in the least about gas prices being so high, but these silly Internet rumors aren't where you should be directing your action. All you're doing is spinning your tires. If you want to do something about it fine. Figure out a way to use less gas. If everyone did that, demand would go down and price would go down. Simple. But I fear that getting everyone to use less gas is about as easy as getting anyone to follow one of these silly Internet rumors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ands since when did snopes become the greta internet brain child?

I could ask you a similar question, since when did unsolicited  E-mails becomes the answer to problems?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#26]
That has been going around since the 70's

Didn't fly then, won't fly now.

But I do have a special carburetor hidden in my
basement that get's 200 mpg.

Except I have recieved death threats from the oil companys,
that if I let this out they will dead me.

GM
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't think it would raise prices.  They'd just buy gas from Exxon or Mobil since those two companies would have an excess.

The real problem with this theory is that gas is a commodity.  Shifting demand from one commodity supplier to another doesn't significantly affect the price.z

Good point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
WOW you all must have done nothing about the AWB.......

SNopes give me a fuckin break

Enough people act or react to this it can work and will.

I would bet doing this is more then any of you posters have ever done to lower gas prices.

Its a start

If you have any better ideas the by all means speak up!

But i haven heard any of you say dick about doing a damn thing.

STG you guy have got to be the most negative bunch  I have ever read about.....
No doubt Pro 2nd couldnt count on much with attitudes like this.

Its a means to an end and if more people push the oil companies, they will get the message and start putting pressure on lowering gas prices......

Since you are all such brainiacs

I REALLY want to hear your OFFICIAL and highly educated POV on why we are getting screwed like we are......

ACTION starts some place!

What are you doing!

Your a fucking idiot.
You want to make a statement? QUIT USING GAS!! Sell your 14 MPG pickup and buy a motorcycle!
You think Exxon gives a fucking rat shit if YOU buy gas? No. Oil is a WORLD MARKET COMMODITY you shining bright example of American genius. If we dont buy it, someone else will. So until you quit using it, your gonna get screwed in the ass on the price.

Havent quite made it to Econ 101 in our Junior year of HS yet have we?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Apparently, this thread is demonstrating that it is POINTLESS to try to explain to someone that they are incorrect, because they will INSIST on accusing everyone else of being an idiot, instead of perhaps trying to UNDERSTAND something.  

Worldwide demand for crude oil has soared in the past few years, as China has increased their demand enormously.  This is what has been driving up crude oil prices, because it has increased overall demand.

U.S. demand has gradually increased (we use an very large proportion of the worlds supply) but our refinining capacity has NOT increased along with our demand.  This restricts our supply of refined products.

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTS!

Let's see (since you asked):

- I have an undergrauate business degree from a 10 ten university, graduated top of my class, and worked as an economics teaching and research assistant for two years.
- I have a master's degree from on of the top business schools in the world.
- I have a Ph.D. from one of the top business schools in the world.
- I currently work in a business school (at a top 10 university).

Please tell us more about YOUR education - since you obviously understand economics so much better than a lot of the smart people who are trying to tell you that your "idea" is retarded.

Seriously - whomever came up with the idea you posted has a shocking lack of understanding of economics in general, and the global petroleum business in particular.

(As an aside, I also know one of the top executives at Exxon-Mobil personally, and he has neither horns nor a pointy tail. )
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

- I have an undergrauate business degree from a 10 ten university, graduated top of my class, and worked as an economics teaching and research assistant for two years.

Please tell us more about YOUR education - since you obviously understand economics so much better than a lot of the smart people who are trying to tell you that your "idea" is retarded.

Seriously - whomever came up with the idea you posted has a shocking lack of understanding of economics in general, and the global petroleum business in particular.

(As an aside, I also know one of the top executives at Exxon-Mobil personally, and he has neither horns nor a pointy tail. )

OWNED!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Geez DK-Prof, don't you know that if you have LESS education than the thread starter, you are an idot. If you have more, you are a pointy headed Poindexter.

Only one who fully agrees with the thread starter, and has an equivalent education, has the "correct" amount of education.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
When I hear great ideas like this one, I am always reminded of this picture...

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently, this thread is demonstrating that it is POINTLESS to try to explain to someone that they are incorrect, because they will INSIST on accusing everyone else of being an idiot, instead of perhaps trying to UNDERSTAND something.  

Worldwide demand for crude oil has soared in the past few years, as China has increased their demand enormously.  This is what has been driving up crude oil prices, because it has increased overall demand.

U.S. demand has gradually increased (we use an very large proportion of the worlds supply) but our refinining capacity has NOT increased along with our demand.  This restricts our supply of refined products.

ARE YOU FREAKIN NUTS!

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Dear fucking idiots and e-thugs..
Wow you all seem to miss the point.

Action thats all, its action
I have yet to see anything more from any of you doing shit to stop it.
If it works or not is not the point, never was.
Action starts someplace and you act tell you find out what works.

Are all of you so ego filled that you have to jump up and down and beat your chest and try to call people names and belittle?

Wow and to think you guys own weapons and some of you have kids! Holy shit thats a scarry thought

For al that called me names hey wow that was real articulate of you and took billions of nuerons and millions of hours of education to formulate those morsels of diatribe.....Mom and Dad must be proud.

Action guys it starts someplace and it has to start now. Obviously it wont here. I pity the future of gun owners with people of INACTION as you all...........

Action it starts someplace.. Now you can all relax and bend back over and let your ass cheeks get filled with the man goo that is the oil companies.

Carry on patriots! Your doing a great job for the oil companies.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, since you asked.

Yes.  Conserve fuel when you can, and decrease demand.  

+10,000
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA the by all means speak up

I do.  Lay down the crack pipe and back away from the computer.

and I will add

This link because it has just as much bearing on his email idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Are all of you so ego filled that you have to jump up and down and beat your chest and try to call people names and belittle?

Wow and to think you guys own weapons and some of you have kids! Holy shit thats a scarry thought

For al that called me names hey wow that was real articulate of you and took billions of nuerons and millions of hours of education to formulate those morsels of diatribe.....Mom and Dad must be proud.

Action guys it starts someplace and it has to start now. Obviously it wont here. I pity the future of gun owners with people of INACTION as you all...........

Action it starts someplace.. Now you can all relax and bend back over and let your ass cheeks get filled with the man goo that is the oil companies.

Action without thought is wasted effort. Ineffectual action (which is what the email calls for) is worthless.

Just doing SOMETHING does not mean anything. You have to do the RIGHT thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Action without thought is wasted effort. Ineffectual action (which is what the email calls for) is worthless.

Just doing SOMETHING does not mean anything. You have to do the RIGHT thing.

Wow so what is no action? Please define?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Who said I was taking no action? The actions I am taking (conserving fuel whenever possible, pushing my Congress crtters to license more refineries and eliminate all the "special" fuel formulations) are far more likely to reduce gas prices than the actions you recommend.

Go ahead, keep doing this stupid stuff. At least it makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Don't get pissy with us because you posted a dumbass idea...

YOU WANT ACTION?  How about this?

1.  I am now carpooling to work

2.  We only drive my girlfriend's ford contour (4 cylinder) when running around town

3.  I am looking into trading in my Dodge Dakota R/T (12mpg) for a smaller SUV with a V6

ETA:  DON'T IM AGAIN...

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I got a similar one today saying to only buy from a list of companies they gave that don't use Saudi oil
woohoo, there's even a snopes page on it
www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I think these oil e-mails are written by other oil company execs. Screw the competition through a grassroots method.

The oil companies are going to need profits to rebuild their self-insured gulf coast platforms.

But I am doing my part by driving less, and using high mileage cars more often.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I think these oil e-mails are written by other oil company execs. Screw the competition through a grassroots method.

The oil companies are going to need profits to rebuild their self-insured gulf coast platforms.

But I am doing my part by driving less, and using high mileage cars more often.

God bless your soul dude i think your the first person with a positive edifying comment

I have started driving less also but that also keeps me from spending my money at eaterys and movie houses I think soo it will follow that those places wil lfeel the gas prices first.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get pissy with us because you posted a dumbass idea...

Notice how quickly it turned into a whiny tirade, like a small child furiously waving his impotent fists at the internet, because everyone didn't immediately swallow his complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Sorry, but where the hell are you coming up with this crap?

Care to explain how you know that nobody here is taking any action to help reduce gas prices? Talk about assumption.

The difference between what I am doing and what you're proposing is that I'm actually making intelligent choices as to what action I take in order to help reduce gas prices.

What you're asking here is that people not think at all. Just do random shit until gas prices start falling .

I still fail to see how you are even coming to some of the conclusions about us that you are. Because we KNOW that a silly Internet rumor isn't true and WON'T WORK, now suddenly we're just lazy asses sitting around doing nothing to reduce gas prices or to protect the 2nd amenmdment? Maybe, just maybe we're actually doing things that WORK rather than wasting our time with silly Internet rumors.

PAEBR332 had some good ideas. Those are some of the kinds of things that I am doing myself. Why don't you try those?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#50]
1ar4me,

I am doing my part by driving a car that runs on bullshit.  Could you please keep filling my tank.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top