Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 2:35:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
When the chips are down, .gov can do whatever they want.  I am convinced that this is fact.  Even if they are wrong, and later found to be wrong, nobody will EVER step up and confront the government during the act, right or wrong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you asking if the .gov has legal authority to remove you from your home or if the .gov can remove you from your home?

Without Martial law declared (by Congress or by the POTUS - I'm not sure if the POTUS has the authority to declare it or not...) the local, state or Federal Gov't cannot force you to leave your home without a warrant for your arrest and they can only get a warrant for your arrest if you have broken the law.

So unless the state gov't passes a law stating that you must leave and Martial Law hasn't been declared I don't think the .gov has the legal authority to force you to leave your home.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When the chips are down, .gov can do whatever they want.  I am convinced that this is fact.  Even if they are wrong, and later found to be wrong, nobody will EVER step up and confront the government during the act, right or wrong.

+1

They can do whatever the fuck they want.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Legally and constitutionally, no.

I believe the only condition under which the government can physically remove you from YOUR property against your will, is if you will definitely lose your life if they don't act.  Since there is no such definitive situation in New Orleans - staying might be a bad idea, and unhealthy or dangerous, but so is smoking, being overweight or mountain climbing, and none of those things negate your rights either.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You also have the right to keep and bare arms , well unless your currently in New Orleans and in your OWN HOUSE

I could understand not allowing carry but taking weapons from people "in" their own home.

Now THATS dfkd up.

Its prolly so they wont have to face those weapons next week when they do start forcing holdouts to leave their OWN personal property.

UnFknBelievable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I was assured by the board sea lawyers that due process has been suspended in NOLA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Who's going to stop them, really?  The government of the government?

They are the ones that enforce their own rules.  If they want to ignore them, they can.  There's only one way to remedy that, and it's not a solution that anyone wants to have to face.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's relate this to a condemned building:  Absolutely the govt can make you vacate a condemned building that you own and want to live in, so why can't they make you vacant a uninhabitable building condemned because of flooding?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Can they force you to leave your house?

Not if you don't answer the door when they come around.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was assured by the board sea lawyers that due process has been suspended in NOLA.

This is where I, a non-lawyer, get confused.  How can any law or man override the Constitution, what was once the supreme law of the land?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Watched two NOPD slobs wrestle a 60 year-old woman to the ground this morning... (FOX news 3:50mst)

She was healthy. She had food and water. Her house was clean.

I urge any LEOs reading this to avoid (or actively resist) that kind of stuff. "It's for your own good," is a bullshit argument and the men taking part are scum.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Just practice by government for later.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The government will do whatever it appears are in its best interests at that moment, regardless of legal authority.  They will let the lawyers sort it out later.  

They have the POWER to do it right now.  

I don't believe the federal government has the legal authority to force you off your land without due process--but what that means exactly in exigent circumstances it subject to interpretation, hence the debate and the tendancy to sort it out later through the courts.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like they are doing it NOW...................legal or not!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Let's relate this to a condemned building:  Absolutely the govt can make you vacate a condemned building that you own and want to live in, so why can't they make you vacant a uninhabitable building condemned because of flooding?

You know there are parts of New Orleans that didn't flood, right?

ETA: And why DOES the government get to tell me whether I can live in a bulding that I own.  If I want to risk rat bites and cholera by living in a government "condemmed" building that I own, how is that more dangerous than mountain climbing or base jumping?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
arfcom  should hit the other gunsites and start a shit storm of emails form all over the country to the white house  woops thats what hapens when ya work three threads
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't agree with it at all, if the home owner wants to stay and defend their property, they have the right to do so.

This sets a dangerous precedent!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure I would turn my home over to the looters.  We always have a supply of water and food on hand.  Plenty of ammo for almost any situation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
After eminent domain, I'm honestly worried about making a commitment to a mortgage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top