Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:44 PM EDT
I have a neighbor that lives next door .A nice guy We share a wave when we see each other outside.But he is the worst person in keeping his yard or house looking nice.Lets his yard grow to about 10'' before cutting. Has weeds all over in large patches some as high as 5 feet. ,broken pinic table thrown around  , last years christmas tree still lying out there. He put a pool in this summer and it is surrounded by weeds everywhere    .He has lived next  too me now 3 years. I know a lot of people in the neighborhood are pissed about it ,but know one says anything. I know he has the time too do it because he has the same job I have and gets 3 days off a week. Would you say anything to him or just let it go.?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

Its basically none of your business.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No.

yes it is.

his neighbors actions are causing his house to go down in value.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be thankful your neighborhood doesn't have a HOA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

yes it is.

Where does it say you have the right to have appreciating home value?

Your rights do not supercede your neighbors, comrade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

yes it is.

Not true, when appraising a property, uncut grass and weeds of a neighbor are insignificant.

Going and "talking" to his neighbor will most likely do no good, and very likely make things worst.

People should either mind their own business or call the authorities, if its that bad.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah, this is what economists call externalities: costs imposed on others.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as it didnt affect my yard, none of my buisness......
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Not unless you REALLY want to have him enjoy it. It will have been inadvertant, but it will become diabolical. I KNOW
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
The only way I would say something is if all those weeds and his yard being unkept started to cause a rodent problem that might cause a problem on my property.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He has lived next  too me now 3 years. I know a lot of people in the neighborhood are pissed about it ,but know one says anything. I know he has the time too do it because he has the same job I have and gets 3 days off a week. Would you say anything to him or just let it go.?

At times people get in a rut and let things go. This usually happens bit by bit over a long period of time. Odds are that he either never owned a house with a yard until now or grew up in an apartment or on a rural plot where lawn care wasn't a concern. If I were you I'd ask him casually about the yard. Don't jump on him about it. Offer to let him borrow your lawn mower or something. He'll probably be glad to cut his lawn unless someone tries to shame him into doing it.

Galland
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:27:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

yes it is.

Big +1. I'll add that I've never bought into the notion that property values were negatively affected by this sort of thing.

This is why I live in the country. I've got better things to do than worry about my neighbor's lawn. Thankfully, they don't seem to give two shits about what I'm up to, either. It's kind of nice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

yes it is.

Big +1. I'll add that I've never bought into the notion that property values were negatively affected by this sort of thing.

This is why I live in the country. I've got better things to do than worry about my neighbor's lawn. Thankfully, they don't seem to give two shits about what I'm up to, either. It's kind of nice.

It's okay to say something.  If his yard looks liks shit, tell him to clean it up.  It makes the hole neighborhood look bad if one yard is un-kept.  However, His yard has no effect on the value of your property.  In fact, we just put our house on the market, and my landscaping skills are nothing to be real proud of, so I asked the realtor if I should hire someone to do it, you know up the sale value.  She says, even the landscaping in your own yard has very little if anything to do with the appraised value.  It may however hold something to add to the "Appeal" of the place for a prospective buyer.  

Anyway, tell him to clean up his shit, it's making the block look like a ghetto.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a neighbor that lives next door .A nice guy We share a wave when we see each other outside.But he is the worst person in keeping his yard or house looking nice.Lets his yard grow to about 10'' before cutting. Has weeds all over in large patches some as high as 5 feet. ,broken pinic table thrown around  , last years christmas tree still lying out there. He put a pool in this summer and it is surrounded by weeds everywhere    .He has lived next  too me now 3 years. I know a lot of people in the neighborhood are pissed about it ,but know one says anything. I know he has the time too do it because he has the same job I have and gets 3 days off a week. Would you say anything to him or just let it go.?

Oh, fine if that is how you feel I won't wave at you anymore.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not unless you REALLY want to have him enjoy it. It will have been inadvertant, but it will become diabolical. I KNOW

Exactly!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
my meighbors are doing that now- thanks!
I have put a ton of time and $ into my house and yard only to have neighbors that dont care at all about theirs.  One moved out and i have not seen a person there at all for two months- yard getting a bit long...  the other always says she is going to but never does.  Now here crab grass has taken over her yard and aiming at mine.  It pisses me off since they have kids that could do this shit.  Just f-ing lazy.  The 6' fence went up on that side...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the exact same issue with one of my neighbors -nice guy ,just no home pride at all.

Next time I move ,Im not going to have neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]
stop looking at my yard
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#21]
ive got neighbors who just moved in that kinda do that.  their yard isnt so bad, but their trash is always blowing into  my yard.  drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm close to my neighbor and asked him to take care of his dog.  By doing that he also cleaned up his yard and looks way better now.  One of those grey areas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
stop looking at my yard

LOL -

I'm kind of "one of those neighbors". I don't mow my yard every week, and a lot of it is just left to woods and wildflowers. My neighbors on both sides manicure their yards like golf courses. They even rake the leaves out of their little patches of woods, which is counter-productive for the trees. One of them asked me if he could hire Chem-Lawn to treat my yard so dandelion seeds would't blow into his. He also asked me to park my boat trailer and horse trailer somewhere else.  I told him I wouldn't mind if he put up a fence.  He's very nice to my face, but he complains about it to other people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Mow his yard one day while he is at work.  It will very likely shame him and piss him off all at once.
My yard got kinda tall once (not as anywhere near as bad as you are describing), but my neighbor mowed it, and I have never forgotten the feeling of coming home and seeing it had been mowed by someone else.  He did it because he likes me, and thought I didn't have time, but I felt like a heel none the less.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Makes me glad my neighbor has a rock yard - LOL.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Want your neighbors to have a nice yard?  Live in an area governed by municipal ordinances or a covenant.  Otherwise be quiet about it.

ETA - grass / weeds are about last on my priority list in my own yard, and I have had my neighbor buzz them down with his weedwacker.  I appreciated his work, but it still didn't cause me any shame, nor did it change my priorities.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like we have the same neighbor, stop over and have a beer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
one word.......

napalm

I used to fly A4's for a reserve squadron in South Weymouth, MA. The woman who owned the property at the approach end of our runway had a couple trees that got so tall they were a threat during landings in bad weather. She wouldn't let us trim them, so we all started dumping a little fuel whenever we flew over. When I left the squadron, the trees and her grass had died, and the shingles on her house were curling and falling apart.

Not something I'm particularly proud of as I look back on it, but I guess it was better than hitting a tree with a jet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Look at the "little south vietnam" I have to look at just over my fence everyday.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Just be thankful your neighborhood doesn't have a HOA.

You ain't kidding.

My HOA told us at the annual meeting that they would send contractors ON YOUR PROPERTY to do repairs if you didn't do what they told.

Before I could say anything, my neighbor (lady) stood up and said that they may walk on her property, but they'd leave in a body bag.  Everyone was shocked... but I think it's because I didn't say it first  

HOAs are mini-kingdoms (ours is a queen-dom).  I don't get a lot of letters since my president saw me carrying out all kinds of "hardware" to teach my class one Saturday morning  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Does he own a boat?   Mowing or sailing?????   Let me choose???
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Why do people want golf course lawns, even if they live in a desert? What a waste. I let mine go wild pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Concur. I have far better things to do with my time than maintaining some artificial monoculture.

Who decreed that grass is better than weeds, anyway?!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Just ask him nicely and go from there. You might actually get to know him.
As to the whole appraisal point, that just makes me laugh. Appraisals of homes based on lawn care is even more ridiculously subjective than appraisals based on "surrounding homes". Tall grass and weeds are hardly a problem,as they are easy to rectify. What's next, appraising the neighbors personality value into the housing value?
"Sorry Bob, the appraiser says you're too much of an asshole. It's lowering my property value, so I'm asking the HOA to have you removed from your home."

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Over the past seven years, I've let the trees and under brush grow up between my and my neighbors homes. We are separated by several hundred feet and cannot see eachothers yards or houses now.

I like it that way and actually don't care what they think of it, its my property and theres no trash there just trees and bushes, no fences.  I do keep the immediate yard around the house mowed, for my own convenience and for my dogs, but have occasionally let it go for a month or so.  

Ever inquire if the neighbor has a physical or financial problem that makes it difficult to keep up with the property?  Maybe offer a hand to get it done?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Mow his yard one day while he is at work.  It will very likely shame him and piss him off all at once.
My yard got kinda tall once (not as anywhere near as bad as you are describing), but my neighbor mowed it, and I have never forgotten the feeling of coming home and seeing it had been mowed by someone else.  He did it because he likes me, and thought I didn't have time, but I felt like a heel none the less.

You want to be extremely careful doing this. You may get charged with tresspassing if someone sees you. If that was done to me, I'd be shamed, but pissed, and said mowee would be getting a visit from the cops. It would be even worse if I caught the mowee in the act.

It's private property, and no one has any business messing with it. If there's a local ordinance against tall grass, get a petition going, and talk to the local govt. But expect a backlash.

I do only a fair job of lawn maintenance; I hate it, and the garden is way overgrown, but no one has the right to tresspass and do anything to it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
stop looking at my yard

LOL -

I'm kind of "one of those neighbors". I don't mow my yard every week, and a lot of it is just left to woods and wildflowers. My neighbors on both sides manicure their yards like golf courses. They even rake the leaves out of their little patches of woods, which is counter-productive for the trees. One of them asked me if he could hire Chem-Lawn to treat my yard so dandelion seeds would't blow into his. He also asked me to park my boat trailer and horse trailer somewhere else.  I told him I wouldn't mind if he put up a fence.  He's very nice to my face, but he complains about it to other people.

Agree. This is one of those "tough shit dude" issues. If the neighbor doesn't like the view, he's free to put up a fence...as long as it's surveyed to ensure it's on HIS property.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Look at the "little south vietnam" I have to look at just over my fence everyday.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41039

I kinda wished his place looked as nice as that one.The trash he leaves is sheet rock he must have replaced and never cleaned up.Also wooden pallets that he finds to burn in his wood stove just  thrown not stacked in a pile. What is hard to understand about it is it's a nice house he bought   . I think I might say something to him in a nice way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Obviously you need another hobby, other than obsessing about your neighbor's lack of participation in your current one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#41]
If you don't like your neighbors mess, tell him you will clean it up for him! Feel free to come over to my mess & clean it up! I will be glad to supervise from my easy chair & I'll even break out a pitcher of Country Time Lemmonade for when you are tired of working!

All bets were off when my neighbor pissed & moaned that my snowblower was blowing snow on the grass near his house & again when he pulled up a row of plants that we planted near the property line. He said they were on his property & when I ran a line from the front to the rear property survey stake, he said I moved the marker!

For his standing as a good neighbor, he now gets to look at 4' high grass, piles of wooden skids & firewood & 2 old junk cars (still registered)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I would say it's none of your business.

Your concerns stop at the edge of your property.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Even without an HOA, there are still some counties and municipalities that have certains codes that need to be met.  All it takes is a quick, anonymous, phone call to code enforcement and they'll determine if his property violates code.  If not, you'll have to deal with him personally.
We had some houses in my neighborhood that were Section 8, and their codes are stricter than the county's code.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41039

Dude, are you freaking kidding me? You're getting pissed over vegetation on the other side of the fence? Geez.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe how many people are saying it's not your concern. They must be the types that have yards that look like shit. When you drive down a street where every yard looks nice it look great, like a nice place to live, drive down a street where a bunch of peoples yards are shit holes, it seems like a crime ridden ghetto even if it actually isn't.

I judge people by the way their house looks, if I drive by a house that looks like shit like you describe, I automatically think "What a bunch of scum bag losers". For that reason, I take pride in the way my house and yard look and I expect others to do the same.

I'd be calling the city, I'm sure there are laws to combat this with, and I'd keep calling them until the situation changes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't say a word.

Just be glad he doesn't have a dog that craps on your yard.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Absolutely, Tracker!
I would say something to him.  This can be done politely and tactfully, but it should be done.  In fact, I HAVE done it.  I once brought a neighbor over to my yard so he could view the mess he was creating on his property from MY perspective.  I didn't threaten him or be obnoxious, but I let him see what I was seeing and I explained to him that I was bothered by it.
IMO, you should get your other neighbors to pitch in on this and say something to him as well.  If that doesn't work I would get the town supervisor involved.  I would document the problem with dates and PHOTOS and finally lodge a formal complaint if my "bad neighbor" failed to clean up his act.

If you had wanted to live like trailer trash you would have purchased a lot in a run down trailer park!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#48]
My mom has a neighbor that moved next to her a few years ago.  It has always been a quiet, older but well kept neighborhood.  The previous owners of the house were wonderful people that like everyone else, kept the yard and appearance neat and tidy.  The new neighbor moved in is very nice and is a real estate agent for a larger respected national RE Agency.  She NEVER cuts the grass, after the storms she left her yard debris and downed trees and limbs for months.  She painted the house a God awful color (I should say half painted.  She painted the front of the house and part of the side and then quit painting).  Her ex husband is an over the road trucker and parks his semi on the front lawn whenever he is in town for a  week or so at a time.  Additionally, on one particular trip, he brought a half semi load of junk (i.e. scrap metal, iron, aluminum, old 55 gallon drums, car motors and refrigerators etc) and piled it up on the side of her house and left it.  Claimed he was going to fix all the crap and sell it.  To this day, nothing has moved (been 2 or so years).  

My mother and other neighbors have complained to the city several times and a few orders to clean up have been issued.  Each time she cuts the grass and that is it.  Most recently, she had a fence installed to hide the mountain of shit piled up on the side.  Apparently, this woman who is fairly successful in real estate won't do crap unless fines are levied.

I took a pic of her house at its worst and put in the paper just under her employers Real Estate Listings ad.  I made it clear that this was the home of an agent listed above (didn't specify which) and asked buyers if they really wanted to buy from a person who lived like this stating that if this person didn't care about her own home and neighborhood, do you really think he/she cares about yours?  

Either she got the hint or her employer lit a fire under her ass and things have been getting better slowly but surely.  It is amazing how hitting people in the wallet motivates them to get off their ass!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#49]
We file a complain to the city about people across the street who didn't cut there lawn. A week latter by-law person comes by with a contractor and they cut the lawn and sent the owner a bill of over $200. Now the guys cuts his lawn every week. I think he doesn't know it was us but aleast he gets the idea now. But thats not a nextdoor neighbor so we dont know him at all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I can't believe how many people are saying it's not your concern. They must be the types that have yards that look like shit. When you drive down a street where every yard looks nice it look great, like a nice place to live, drive down a street where a bunch of peoples yards are shit holes, it seems like a crime ridden ghetto even if it actually isn't.

I judge people by the way their house looks, if I drive by a house that looks like shit like you describe, I automatically think "What a bunch of scum bag losers". For that reason, I take pride in the way my house and yard look and I expect others to do the same.

I'd be calling the city, I'm sure there are laws to combat this with, and I'd keep calling them until the situation changes.

Well, here's my situation.

My yard is carefully maintained. It's one of the finer looking 2.5 acre parcels around here.

As I glance out my window, I notice that the guy across the street from me has some old picture frames leaning up against a tree in his front yard, and he has a bunch of crap on his deck. I could really care less. It's his place, and it's his business. I like keeping my property nice and neat, and he doesn't. So what? I'm too busy minding my own business, to be minding any of his. He has more of a right to determine how his place looks than I do. He's the guy paying the mortgage and property taxes on it, not me.

Do you know the best part? I couldn't call the city if I wanted to - there is no city. And that's just how we like it around here. He doesn't particuarly like the noise that my rifles make, but refuses to press the issue because...wait for it...it's not his property or any of his business. We just see things a little differently than people who live in manicured little subdivisions. I dare say we're more "tolerant" of each other than the high-minded city folks who claim to be the sole authority on the matter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top