Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:34:32 AM EDT
Mississippi Authorities Make Close To 100 Arrests For Looting On The Coast
ASSOCIATED PRESS

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) -- At least 100 looting suspects have been arrested on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

There were at least 84 people being held Monday at the Harrison County Adult Detention Center on looting charges from throughout Harrison and Hancock counties. Most, if not all, have a $10,000 cash bond, which requires the full amount of bail money upfront.

Looting arrests in Jackson County bring the coastal count to 100. If convicted, looters face up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.

''We're in control about as much as we can be under the circumstances and thanks to the hundreds of officers who have come to help,'' Harrison County Sheriff George H. Payne Jr. said.

Communications, however, remain crippled. Police were recommending residents flag down patrol cars, many of which are from out-of-state police agencies.

In Gulfport, communications systems were improving. Hurricane damage forced police to move from their downtown headquarters to the Harrison County Alternative School on U.S. 49.

But Gulfport police were using self-contained emergency operations buses, which allows police to set up command posts wherever needed and gives dispatchers instant access to match first-responders with calls for help.

''We just ask that people be patient,'' said Police Commander Alfred Sexton.

In Biloxi, police have switched their focus from search-and-rescue to search-and-recovery and have added looting as a priority, said Biloxi Police Sgt. Jackie Rhodes.

Some officers are finding residents armed and dangerous.

''One of our residents said, 'If you don't take care of these looting problems, we will,''' said Gautier City Manager Christy Wheeler.

Jackson County sheriff's deputies had arrested at least 10 looters by Monday, with another six arrested by Pascagoula police. Some looters are using boats to reach abandoned houses along the rivers, according to Tim Pope, a special agent for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

''Homeowners feel vulnerable,'' said Jackson County Chief Deputy Don Stewart. ''They are at their weakest. They are angry, they are tired, and they are stressed. They are not going to tolerate looting.''
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are not going to tolerate looting.''

Wild applause.  

Rock on.  Mandatory maximum sentences would be a NICE deterrent for the future.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Such a difference between the two areas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
That is good to hear.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Like the photo the other day somewhere around here...

"Loot and Be Shot"

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Like the photo the other day somewhere around here...

"Loot and Be Shot"

My favorite was the "Looters: Please bring your own body bag, we are out" photo.
I can't find it now.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
big waste of money, I can't believe this shit, they should be shot on sight. Am I alone in thinking this way, it's as bad as treason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
big waste of money, I can't believe this shit, they should be shot on sight. Am I alone in thinking this way, it's as bad as treason.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't beleive some of you people on the AR15 forum boards.
They are people and Americans too.
So what if they reappropriated the belongings of the few wealthy people who had the means to leave before the hurricane.
They needed the water, food, clothing, bling-bling jewlery, plasma TV's, ATM contents and the dubs too ya know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't beleive some of you people on the AR15 forum boards.
They are people and Americans too.
So what if they reappropriated the belongings of the few wealthy people who had the means to leave before the hurricane.
They needed the water, food, clothing, bling-bling jewlery, plasma TV's, ATM contents and the dubs too ya know.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Some officers are finding residents armed and dangerous.

Armed = dangerous.

Fucking reporters. Why not report it like it really is - the Govt. failing to protect the people, and the people taking it into their own hands during a SHTF scenario.

I thought this was going to be a good thread, now I'm pissed again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
bout time.  What took them so long?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Armed = dangerous.

Yes. This guy even broke out the red shells!

Brian Mollere sits with three shot gun shells on his table in Waveland, Mississippi September 6, 2005. Mollere is living in a tent on his property after being carried away by the storm surge when Hurricane Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on August 29. President George W. Bush, facing a political crisis amid the outcry over the sluggish federal response to the crisis, promised Katrina victims in Louisiana and Mississippi on Monday the country would 'do what it takes' to help people get back on their feet. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Such a difference between the two areas.

LA's governor is a Democrap, and MS governor is GOP. So the crooks know they won't be soft on crime like in 'Nawlins.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we please bring back firing squads?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]

getting there....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
''One of our residents said, 'If you don't take care of these looting problems, we will,''' said Gautier City Manager Christy Wheeler.

I think this says it all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top