Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 8:33:09 AM EDT
Just saw a statement on the Fox news crawler about a gun ownership survey. I believe it said somthing like 1.7 million kids live in homes with loaded, unsecured firarems. It listed the worst states and said that Washington DC had the least amount.....surprise.

I did not get a survey, any of you get one?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
That's because they were too scared to actually come to DC and do a survey.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
How many people are stupid enough to answer that question in a survey?  "Yes I have guns and I store them in an unsafe manner with my children around.... so what?"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just saw a statement on the Fox news crawler about a gun ownership survey. I believe it said somthing like 1.7 million kids live in homes with loaded, unsecured firarems. It listed the worst states and said that Washington DC had the least amount.....surprise.

Surveys don't work like that - you sample a large number of people, that you try to make as representative as possible of the population at large (say 1000 people in each state, mixed between urban and rural), and then you extrapolate what the national figures are likely to look like based on the results.

If done correctly, it can be VERY accurate, but is inherently a population estimate- and the accuracy is very dependent on how representative and how large the actual sample is.  (Only the government has the funds and logistics to survey everyone - namely the census - and even that isn't every year).

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If they send these to enough arfcommers, local officials will begin trolling the bottom of lakes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surveys don't work like that - you sample a large number of people, that you try to make as representative as possible of the population at large (say 1000 people in each state, mixed between urban and rural), and then you extrapolate what the national figures are likely to look like based on the results.

If done correctly, it can be VERY accurate, but is inherently a population estimate- and the accuracy is very dependent on how representative and how large the actual sample is.  (Only the government has the funds and logistics to survey everyone - namely the census - and even that isn't every year).

Surveys can also be stacked toward the results a surveyor wants.  Aside from truly objective surveys (difficult unless you sample several regions, income levels, belief types, etc), most/many survey are heavily loaded.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
"Surveys can also be stacked toward the results a surveyor wants. "

Exactly right.

Surveyor askes Joe Gunowner, "Do you think criminals should have access to guns?"

Joe, being an upstanding, law abiding citizen, answers, "No, of course not!"

Surveyor's headline the next day, "Gun Owners support the Brady Bill".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
My kids do. I should be better about that. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Survey: 1.7M kids at home with loaded guns

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/dupepolice.jpg

I'm glad someone found my "Dupe Police" Photoshop useful.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Survey: 1.7M kids at home with loaded guns

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/dupepolice.jpg

I'm glad someone found my "Dupe Police" Photoshop useful.

I'm using it more than my own:

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/Dupe%20Police.jpg

The original source...

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/Dupe%20Police.jpg

The original source...

www.movieposters.net/graphics/posters/swat.jpg

]

Nice work.   Far better than mine hack job!!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top