IBTL!

AAAHHHHHH!!!! THE HORROR!

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just don't like all the velcro.

Me neither.

It's too noisy.  I still like the plain old woodland BDU's for most stuff in general myself.  If I wanted something universal, I'd get some kind of gray camo.  Like gray base with some black and different shades of gray (no white) and maybe bits of OD thrown in for fun or something, but that's just me.  I've always been intrigued by the gray camo paint scheme on German BF-109 fighters in WWII myself.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Bah, once you get enough dust, sand, dirt and mud ground into them, they all look the same anyway.
AS long as it is comfortable to fight in, that's what matters.

ACU looks kind of like Pajamas, I like that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
And what's up with wearing BDU's off post? When I was in you weren't allowed to wear fatigues off post only Class A/B or civies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Shoulda gone with that pattern.  Splinter > All
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And what's up whit wearing BDU's off post? When I was in you weren't allowed to wear fatigues off post only Class A/B or civies.

The "new" Army.  Hrumph.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And what's up whit wearing BDU's off post? When I was in you weren't allowed to wear fatigues off post only Class A/B or civies.

The "new" Army.  Hrumph.

I have no problem with it, so long as they're presentable.

Flying through Dallas I've seen TONS of troops with their 3-color cammies, and they looked just fine. In the combat zone, as long as they're killing the enemy I could care less how many creases they have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what units like "The Old Guard" are going to do. When I was in it we broke starch at least twice a day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
And all these "sidewalk" comandos running around in BDU's. If you work in a office you should be in Class B's not BDU's. I'm not talking about LINE units but support staff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.  And get rid of those damn leg berets while they're at it!

Aargh, my pet peeve! I hate seeing legs with a beret. Me and the missus saw a few of the Homeland Security "legs" a few years ago. I made the off comment about "legs" and one of them heard me. He wanted to start shit, but I kept on walking. The wife hates my "leg" rants also.

They are just fucking hats.  Everyone in the British Army wears them, in different colors depending on the regiment, and no one in the Para regiment gets his panties in a twist because some MP, engineer, or grenadier has one in a different color.

Get over it.

they should be earned - not issued.  everyone wants to be highspeed but only a few want to go through the motions.

Why?  Like I said, in virtually every other NATO army (and many air forces and navies) berets are just HATS, not badges of honor.

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see.  Airborne beret = red, leg beret = black.  Airborne shoes = bloused boots, leg shoes = corframs.  Airborne = jump wings, leg = no jump wings.

It's so hard to tell you all apart...........

don't think that every leg that wears them like them!the beret serves no puporse,except showing some type of extra training you received. at least with the BDU cap the did help shade the eyes and had the flap you could pull over your ears to keep them warm when you could get away with it also padding under the K-pot.
I took my beret off everytime i got away from the unit while station at bragg.now in Class "A" it does look sharp with jump boots.

I do agree that the only ones that should have to wear them hot ass things are the ones who earn them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
ACU isnt bad in the desert.  It sucks urban or woodland enviroments.  Crye Multicam is a better pattern.

Yep. I propose a hybrid. Use the digi pattern with Multicam colors.

I get a kick out of some of those ACU pics. It's rather apparent the color balance has been altered  to make the uniform look better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you work in a office you should be in Class B's not BDU's. I'm not talking about LINE units but support staff.

Ah!

That's different, and I agree with you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MARPAT!
there, I said it.

HERETIC!

CALL THE MODS!

BAN HIM!

IBTL!

AAAHHHHHH!!!! THE HORROR!

the evil within him must be purged by fire.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And get rid of those damn leg berets while they're at it!

+1 While I like the new ACU, I think the beret is a useless, ghey-assed piece of headgear. It does not provide a sun-shade, nor rain protection. It's use is a political nod to the U.N.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 And why are the damn legs wearing RANGER TANKER berets!

Fixed it for you!

Bloody Rangers.   They have no interest in history at all.

Traditionally in armies the tanker's headgear is the black beret. This was for rather pragmatic reasons, as the oil and grease from the tank wouldn't show up on the beret, and the lack of a peak on the hat meant that it didn't get in the way when trying to aim the weapons systems (Putting the head to the sights) or when wearing protective gear. (The old chain-mail masks and goggle things)
Even though the Rangers were officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s, some 40-50 years after tankers started wearing them, you can still find occasional photos of US Army tankers wearing them up to the late '60s or so.

The above said, I'd rather ditch the beret and go back to the peaked cap for BDUs and the Service Cap for the Class As. Class Bs I might tolerate.

As for the ACUs, they're fixing things slowly. The nametapes are now the same camo scheme as the rest of the uniform. Badges are being sewn on (unofficially). Another unofficial modification I've seen is a branch insignia just below the unit patch on the left sleeve. (There's room on the velcro: Officers and enlisted both)

I'm still not convinced by velcro pockets and zipper though. Or the pin-on skill badges. Not that I have any for BDUs.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
remember the leisure suit collars in the 80s?

I still have a couple of those!  You should see the looks I get when I break them out every now and then....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it just me, or does the new ACU pattern slightly change tone in light patterns or around certain colors?

That one in the woods looks way more green, where as the ones near the buildings seem more gray.  They seem more tan with desert as a background.  

It just seems to look more like the environment in each picture.

Maybe I'm retarded.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aargh, my pet peeve! I hate seeing legs with a beret. Me and the missus saw a few of the Homeland Security "legs" a few years ago. I made the off comment about "legs" and one of them heard me. He wanted to start shit, but I kept on walking. The wife hates my "leg" rants also.

Legs with a beret?

WTH does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The pattern's ok.

But the "style" sets off the gaydar.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Legs with a beret?

WTH does that mean?

Straight LEG infantry, non airborne infantry. Like calling a Marine a sea going bellhop.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I guess it's a stretch to think the Army did its homework.

Yep.

The Army selects uniforms for uniformity over concealment.  For example 6 color desert is great for rocky regions like some of afghanistan, and remains acceptable for the rolling deserts of the persion gulf.  Yet the Army went with 3-color desert which is horrible in anything outside of a sand dune.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]
A few guys came to the last "jungle" ( really just very dense riverside forest ) airsoft game wearing ACUs.

And from what I saw the woodland ACU pattern is a BAD THING. It was far to faded looking. They stood out like a sore thumb. In sunlight or shadow it was just to bright. Looking through 20 yards of undergrowth I could still spot them. And they were trying to hide, not just walking around of kneeling in the open.

I was honestly shocked at how poor the camo worked. Marine MARPAT works MUCH better. Even the desert MARPAT works better in this dense green forest than the ACU woodland.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A few guys came to the last "jungle" ( really just very dense riverside forest ) airsoft game wearing ACUs.

And from what I saw the woodland ACU pattern is a BAD THING. It was far to faded looking. They stood out like a sore thumb. In sunlight or shadow it was just to bright. Looking through 20 yards of undergrowth I could still spot them. And they were trying to hide, not just walking around of kneeling in the open.

I was honestly shocked at how poor the camo worked. Marine MARPAT works MUCH better. Even the desert MARPAT works better in this dense green forest than the ACU woodland.

There is no ACU woodland.  It's all one color.  From the pics and things I've seen, it seemed to work fine in thick vegetation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Now where are my sharks with lasers?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 And why are the damn legs wearing RANGER TANKER berets!

Fixed it for you!

Traditionally in armies the tanker's headgear is the black beret. This was for rather pragmatic reasons, as the oil and grease from the tank wouldn't show up on the beret, and the lack of a peak on the hat meant that it didn't get in the way when trying to aim the weapons systems (Putting the head to the sights) or when wearing protective gear. (The old chain-mail masks and goggle things)
Even though the Rangers were officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s, some 40-50 years after tankers started wearing them, you can still find occasional photos of US Army tankers wearing them up to the late '60s or so.

The above said, I'd rather ditch the beret and go back to the peaked cap for BDUs and the Service Cap for the Class As. Class Bs I might tolerate.

As for the ACUs, they're fixing things slowly. The nametapes are now the same camo scheme as the rest of the uniform. Badges are being sewn on (unofficially). Another unofficial modification I've seen is a branch insignia just below the unit patch on the left sleeve. (There's room on the velcro: Officers and enlisted both)

I'm still not convinced by velcro pockets and zipper though. Or the pin-on skill badges. Not that I have any for BDUs.

NTM

I think the Rangers got the black beret a lot later than the '60s.  In the mid '70s the Armored Cav Regiments in Germany were still in black berets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are just fucking hats.  Everyone in the British Army wears them, in different colors depending on the regiment, and no one in the Para regiment gets his panties in a twist because some MP, engineer, or grenadier has one in a different color.

Get over it.

they should be earned - not issued.  everyone wants to be highspeed but only a few want to go through the motions.

I agree with 82nd on this one. Look, he and all those other men and women who go Airborne should have a distinguishment in uniform. IMHO...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was on a plane a couple of weeks ago with about 20 soldiers and soldierettes (two of whom were scalding hot, I might add) wearing the ACU and they looked squared away.

I like em.

When did the Army start dipping females in frikkin chocolate?? Hell, I mighta re-upped had they done that back in the 90's....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#30]
the new acu's fit good and feel good even though, as said above, they look like damn pj's! my hope is the corps will adopt the best features of the acu in the next gen of marpats...the cut and material without the assinine velcro...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
the new acu's fit good and feel good even though, as said above, they look like damn pj's! my hope is the corps will adopt the best features of the acu in the next gen of marpats...the cut and material without the assinine velcro...

Personally, I don't like the velcro or the damn Mandarin collar. But I'm female and I didn't want the thread to sound like "Girl eye for the Army Guy."
When I was in, we all lamented the phasing out of the old greens...ahh the good old days...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I think were missing the big picture. If you do some research on the uniforms there suppose to pretty much absorb/defeat IR light making it much harder to see them with NVG's, well we are up against an enemy with NVG's right? Also alot of people are basing these uniforms in seeing them at 12 oclock noon I mean in broad daylight with the sun directly above everyone knows you move in the shadows and at night anymore.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just FYI, there is no seperate woodland ACU.  There is only one color pattern (its green, tan and gray)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Also, the pics you guys keep posting of the dorky guy with the beret with the collar up...this is an older style ACU.  The colors have been changed for the issue one to make them more green.  And the USMC MARPAT uniforms also have the same type of mandarin collar which can be worn up or down.  When its worn down it looks like a normal collar.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Seems like Remf's like it and grunts don't. Here's some comments from USCAV.com...

Customer Name: XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Rating: 3.0
Review Title: camoflage? what camoflage?
Review: What was DA thinking about when they chose this camoflage? My unit just recently completed some common task training in a field environment and a few of our soldiers wore the new ACU, and I'm telling you guys if I were a sniper the soldiers wearing the ACU would most definetly be easier targets. This uniform does'nt blend in at all in a woodland environment and It does'nt even blend in that good in the desert. What if we had to go back into a jungle. What are we going to do? spend more money on new camo? The pockets are a good idea, but the velcro? too noisy.

Customer Name: XXXXX XXXXX
Rating: 1.5
Review Title: ACU Digital Pattern
Review: Ive tested this in the field and its only good at night? Marpat pattern or Cadpat is way better. The pockets are two loud and whats the point of wearing desert boots or tan in a Woodland enviroment. I feel sorry for those guys overseas wearing this.

Customer Name: XXX
Rating: 1.0
Review Title: Another DOD failure!
Review: If you are deploying to Iraq DO NOT SPEND YOUR $ ON THIS! They might look good for the brass to pimp around in DC but the flat out are not functional in SWA. First off they last about half as long as a standard ripstop summer DCU. They stain like crazy. Windex and other cleaners will bleach them. They noisey velcro has compromised more than one of my guys OP's. The camo simply does not conceal as well as a DCU. It is so poor that we now have SOP's forbidding our sniper teams wearing it on missions. Save your money and possibly your life. Stick with the DCU in combat!

Customer Name: XXX XXXXXX
Rating: 5.0
Review Title: Soldier Welfare
Review: The ACU is obviously the best uniform that we have had yet. I have spent over 20 years of my life in the Army and I have tried to find something about this uniform that I don't like... And I can not!! It is the most comfortable uniform that I have ever worn, and it is very low maintenance.

Customer Name: XXXXX XXXXX
Review Title: ACU Observations
Review: I am a retired USAR LTC who also had a long career in federal law enforcement. I currently work for a federally-contracted private corrections agency. I recently had occasion to visit the NTC at Ft. Irwin, CA. I happened to chat with a couple of soldiers who were wearing the ACU. They all appeared to like the uniform and said it was a very practical garment set from several standpoints. I was also impressed with the fabric content and the slant chest pockets, the latter vaguely reminiscent of the old 'Nam jungle fatigues in that the pockets were ergonomically arranged to better reach in and out to retrieve items. The sleeve pockets were also an interesting addition. Plus the mandarin collar appeared to be more practical in a field environment. Overall, the uniform is better tailored to accommodate LBE and personal protective gear. It is about time the government adopted a combat uniform with a much more realistic camouflage pattern and some usable features for a change. If I were still in the military, I would have purchased this uniform in a heartbeat.

Paint ballers like it too!

Customer Name: XXXXXX
Review Title: this is great
Review: this is yhe baest camo you can get. I whent paint balling and i was about 10 feet frome my anemey and they could not see me.It was great. The velcrow is alitil anoying but quik and easy. This is good camo.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

SNIP!Even though the Rangers were officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s, some 40-50 years after tankers started wearing them, you can still find occasional photos of US Army tankers wearing them up to the late '60s or so.

SNIP!
NTM

Rangers were NOT "officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s".

The official history says " Rangers received authorization through AR 670-5, Uniform and Insignia, 30 January 1975, to wear black berets. Previously, locally authorized black berets had been worn briefly by the 10th Ranger Company (Airborne), 45th Infantry Division, during the Korean War before their movement to Korea; Company F (LRP), 52d Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, in 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam; Company H (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 1st Cavalry Division, in 1970 in the Republic of Vietnam; and Company N (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade, in 1971 in the Republic of Vietnam.  .

Prior to the 1st Ranger Battalion being formed, "In the US Army, HQDA policy from 1973 through 1979 permitted local commanders to encourage morale-enhancing distinctions, and Armor and Armored Cavalry personnel wore black berets as distinctive headgear until Chief of Staff GEN Bernard W. Rogers banned all such unofficial headgear in 1979."

From 1973 through 1979 a number of berets were worn.  The seperate brigade in Alaska wore an OD beret (which is what Shinseki should have chosen for the Army instead of black, as OD could symbolize the Army of WWI and 'the greatest generation, WWII'); the 101st ABN DIV (AASSLT) wore dark blue; armor and armored cavalry black; etc.

The maroon beret for airborne units was also banned in 1979 and officially re-authorized on 28 November 1980 in a change to AR 670-1.

The rifle green beret for Special Forces has been authorized since 1961 (it was unofficial before that).
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP!Even though the Rangers were officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s, some 40-50 years after tankers started wearing them, you can still find occasional photos of US Army tankers wearing them up to the late '60s or so.

SNIP!
NTM

Rangers were NOT "officially awarded the black beret in the 50s or 60s".

The official history says " Rangers received authorization through AR 670-5, Uniform and Insignia, 30 January 1975, to wear black berets. Previously, locally authorized black berets had been worn briefly by the 10th Ranger Company (Airborne), 45th Infantry Division, during the Korean War before their movement to Korea; Company F (LRP), 52d Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, in 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam; Company H (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 1st Cavalry Division, in 1970 in the Republic of Vietnam; and Company N (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade, in 1971 in the Republic of Vietnam.  .

Prior to the 1st Ranger Battalion being formed, "In the US Army, HQDA policy from 1973 through 1979 permitted local commanders to encourage morale-enhancing distinctions, and Armor and Armored Cavalry personnel wore black berets as distinctive headgear until Chief of Staff GEN Bernard W. Rogers banned all such unofficial headgear in 1979."

From 1973 through 1979 a number of berets were worn.  The seperate brigade in Alaska wore an OD beret (which is what Shinseki should have chosen for the Army instead of black, as OD could symbolize the Army of WWI and 'the greatest generation, WWII'); the 101st ABN DIV (AASSLT) wore dark blue; armor and armored cavalry black; etc.

The maroon beret for airborne units was also banned in 1979 and officially re-authorized on 28 November 1980 in a change to AR 670-1.

The rifle green beret for Special Forces has been authorized since 1961 (it was unofficial before that).

I was in the Air Cav, I still have my black Cav beret. Red and white flash.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]
IMHO, it looks like it works fine for Desert but dont see how it blends with woodland, its to light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#40]
The new ACU's are just starting to trickle in here in the Balkans Read (Kosovo) where I'm currently deployed.  The brown boots are some of the most comfortable army boots I've ever worn in the 22 years I've been in the military.  The color scheme of the new ACU's DOES work well in real world environment, photos don’t do them justice.  The collars are also an improvement.  ANYTHING that makes wearing our interceptor vests with the heavy arsed plates is a good thing in my book and I wouldn’t care if it was pink or polka doted if it made wearing the vest more comfortable.  The pockets for elbow and knee pads are GREAT in the new ACU's.

Berets; The SF troops can keep, the blankity blank do nothing worthless head gear as far as I'm concerned.  None of us asked for the berets, none of us WANTED them we were STUCK with them.
Back in the real world when I'm on my tank. I'll take my tankers helmet any day, Off the Tank? Give me a booney hat any day its actually USEFULL.  What do we actually get? Our good ole patrol caps while were deployed its the only authorized head gear.

Sgt Bingham

PS no slam is intended in anyway towards SF soldiers they have nothing but my deepest respect and admiration for what they have: done, Accomplished, and everything they do.  I'm just putting in text my opion on a "hat"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just don't like all the velcro.

Me neither.

+1
also, I was not keen on the collar, but I hear the collar works very well with body armor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
And all these "sidewalk" comandos running around in BDU's. If you work in a office you should be in Class B's not BDU's. I'm not talking about LINE units but support staff.

When I was at Ft Hood in 85 I saw a lot of the support staff in "Bs", when I was in Germany, I didn't see any of the support staff in "Bs".

I guess it depends on on where your stationed
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Paint ballers like it too!

Customer Name: XXXXXX
Review Title: this is great
Review: this is yhe baest camo you can get. I whent paint balling and i was about 10 feet frome my anemey and they could not see me.It was great. The velcrow is alitil anoying but quik and easy. This is good camo.

Deer army:

Id likes too tel yew that i am reel pleesed with yore nu army suit.  it hides me reel good.  i slipped over to the naybor's hous last nite and fornicated his wife while he was layin right in bed with her.  he culdn't even see me!

thancs a milion!

---Jastro Blyleven
Saginaw, Mi
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I think the ACU pattern will continue for quite a long time.  What will change, depending on how long the GWOT lasts and home many "Boneish" CSM's are left at the end is the Velcroed insignia, the rigger belt will go away and the boots will change to something that needs to be polished.  Also either a version that can be starched, or simply the rule forbiding starching will go away.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#46]
The official history says " Rangers received authorization through AR 670-5, Uniform and Insignia, 30 January 1975, to wear black berets

I sit corrected.

Still doesn't affect the fact that the headgear had been worn by tankers for almost 60 years prior to that though.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just FYI, there is no seperate woodland ACU.  There is only one color pattern (its green, tan and gray)

Sorry, I was so tired last night I wasn't thinking clearly. Woodland Marpat-woodland ACU, made sense at the time in my head.

Either way, this stuff stood out, a lot. Next game I'll get some pictures.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top