Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 3:58:11 PM EDT
So as I get a chance I will send back some pics.

FREE
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck. I hope to be on my way soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You gonna be working for the Ragin' Cajun, LTG Honore?  Enjoy.  I was overjoyed to see his mug on TV this weekend.  There absolutely no better man in the Army, IMHO, to work with a clusterfuck of bureaucracies and reign in various egos than him.  This may correlate to an increase suck factor for you guys, though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Good Luck - Stay Safe
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
good luck, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch your back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a good Officer, Maybe he will drop by the DTAC this week.

Im sure its going to suck anyway you look at it, but whatever help they need we will try to provide it.

A few months in NO should buy me a couple good karma points right??

FREE

Quoted:
You gonna be working for the Ragin' Cajun, LTG Honore?  Enjoy.  I was overjoyed to see his mug on TV this weekend.  There absolutely no better man in the Army, IMHO, to work with a clusterfuck of bureaucracies and reign in various egos than him.  This may correlate to an increase suck factor for you guys, though.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck Free and stay safe....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay safe and good luck
thanks for serving
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck Free.

Dont forget the pics.

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I should be in the AO this week.  I am probably gonna press to FEMA HQ in Jackson MS and then press forward if needed.  Setting up comm for the rebuilding effort and such.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell them you wanna go to another state instead!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup - found the article.  You guys will fall under LTG Honore's TF.

I must warn you - he is the most mission focused person you will ever know - and will expect 120% from you guys.  Most folks who have served under him (myself included) hated every minute of it, but then looked back and were amazed at what they and their units were able to accomplish.  You have nothing to worry about, though, if you are as committed to the mission as he is.  

If there is any modern day Patton in the Army today - he is him.

82nd Airborne to join more than 30K troops in hurricane relief
September 4, 2005

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Sept. 4, 2005) -- The 82nd Airborne Division has begun deploying about 2,700 paratroopers from Fort Bragg, N.C., to help with Hurricane Katrina disaster relief.

The 82nd headquarters, the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the 319th Field Artillery Regiment, as well as elements from the Division Support Command, 82nd Aviation Brigade, 307th Engineer Battalion and other units are deploying to Louisiana to support disaster-relief operations.

More than 4,600 active-duty service members are now supporting the hurricane-relief efforts, in addition to almost 27,000 National Guard troops there and thousands more deploying, officials reported.

Elements of the 4th Infantry Division and 1st Cavalry Division from Fort Hood, Texas, are also assisting with the hurricane recovery. Helicopters and crews from Hood’s 1st Air Cavalry Brigade are the lead Army aviation element of the military task force

So far, the federal government has moved millions of commodities of water, ice and Meals Ready to Eat, or MREs, into the affected areas, totaling more than 125 tons of relief supplies, according to the Department of Homeland Security. As of Sept. 2, more than 4,500 lives had been saved, officials reported, more than 30,000 people had been assisted, and more than 222,000 refugees had been evacuated.

The military forces will provide support as requested by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and directed by the Department of Defense, officials said. They explained that typically that support includes humanitarian relief and activities including medical, logistical, and communications support, as well as clean-up assistance.

The United States Northern Command established Joint Task Force Katrina to act as the military’s on-scene command in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Lt. Gen. Russell Honore, commander of the First Army out of Fort Gillem, Ga., is the JTF commander. JTF Katrina is currently based out of Camp Shelby, Miss.

USNORTHCOM provided the following updates on the disaster-relief operations:

• Schoolbuses are being used to take residents to staging areas for transportation out of New Orleans.

• Engineering teams are working to reopen the airfield at Naval Air Station Belle Chase to provide a second runway for passenger and cargo operations.

• In addition to Coast Guard aviation, the total number of helicopters participating in humanitarian operations along the Gulf Coast rose to 139 (78 DoD, 61 National Guard) with 17 additional aircraft en route.

• The Dept. of Health and Human Services is coordinating to locate 10 mobile Federal Medical Shelter facilities on military installations along the Gulf Coast. Each facility can accommodate 250 patients. Four facilities will be positioned at Ft. Polk, Louisiana; two at Naval Air Station Meridian, Miss.; two at Air National Guard Station Meridian, Miss.; and two at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.

• Joint Forces Command is providing Department of Defense leased property at the former England AFB in Louisiana as an intermediate staging base to support hurricane response in the state of Louisiana. This will serve as a staging point for National Guard personnel arriving from other states to support the Louisiana relief efforts.

• JTF-Civil Support is providing a joint planning augmentation cell to provide domestic chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or high-yield explosive, known as CBRNE, consequence management planning capabilities to JTF-Katrina.

• Defense Coordinating Officers, known as DCOs, and Defense Coordinating Elements in Baton Rouge, La. and Jackson, Miss., are serving as liaison between U.S. Northern Command, FEMA and the Department of Defense.

• Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.; Naval Air Station Meridian, Miss.; Barksdale Air Force Base, La.; Alexandria, La.; and Ft. Polk, La.; are federal operational staging areas to expedite the movement of relief supplies and emergency personnel to affected areas.

• USNORTHCOM’s 24-hour Joint Operations Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., has been augmented with additional personnel to facilitate any additional requests for assistance that may come from FEMA representatives.

(Editor’s note: Information taken from news releases by the 82nd Airborne Division, Department of Homeland Security, National Guard Bureau and U.S. Northern Command, compiled by ARNEWS editor Gary Sheftick.)

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
A pair of Nikes.  Can you hook it up?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I am at a truck stop in West Memphis, AR which is loaded with en-route NG troops at this time
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Be safe, take care, and don't drink the water!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top