Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:12:50 PM EDT
There are two schools next to my house.  One closed down and was scheduled to become a recreation center but hasn't yet.  Thirty families are going to be housed there for a long time.  I hope they are the non-criminal type.  My wife has been instructed to keep the doors locked and a shotgun handy, just incase.    I dread this.  These people might be the cream of the crop; and I hope they are, but there is always that chance they are scum too.  One thing for sure, they have never seen a place like Turdville Tennessee and Turdville has never seen anything like them.

There are almost no jobs available here and I wonder how long the quiet life can keep any "youths" among them from mischief.

I am guilty of pre-judging these folks, I know.  It's one of my many faults.

Oh well.  Let it happen, cap'n.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are people who had the sense and ability to evacuate themselves, you may be in luck. If they are the type who expect everything to be done for them, lock down everything. You never know when things may get restless.

We are housing many who only made it this far during the evacuation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Your not guilty of pre judging I think it will be nothing but trouble .I looked at these people on the news . Most of them are scum
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a goat pasture between my house and the school.  Maybe the goats will keep them occupied and they will leave the community alone.  I think my neighbor boys have the goats stump broke already anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Give 'em a chance. You may meet some wonderful people there. If not, razor wire the perimeter and get some big dogs
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What you should do is go over there.  Welcome them to ther new home.  More than anything else, I bet knowing they had some new friends and are welcome would REALLY help them.

Think about what you can do to help them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What you should do is go over there.  Welcome them to ther new home.  More than anything else, I bet knowing they had some new friends and are welcome would REALLY help them.

This sounds like the best plan. Get to know them and even if the kids start acting up, they may pass on your home because they like you. When I bought my house, I was told that the neighbors were trouble and always up to no good. When I saw the neighbors outside, I'd go over and talk to them and I've never had any problems at all. If you offer a neighborly hand, they may make great friends.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Where in TN? I live in Clarksville and work on FT Campbell. Im a civilian police officer on the post. I just found out today that we are going to be getting some refugee's on post. Not sure where they are going to put them. I have to figure that it will be out in the training area somewhere, not on the main post itself (Security, no Mil. ID's etc..).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You're screwed
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This sounds like the best plan. Get to know them and even if the kids start acting up, they may pass on your home because they like you. When I bought my house, I was told that the neighbors were trouble and always up to no good. When I saw the neighbors outside, I'd go over and talk to them and I've never had any problems at all. If you offer a neighborly hand, they may make great friends.

+1

They might be good people.  If not, consider it a recon mission.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There's an old saying at sea: Pray towards heaven, row towards shore.

Be kind and friendly to these folks. Try and help them as much as you can, but keep the old shotty loaded, too.

Not all of them are the folks you see on TV.

Remember this: Lowlifes generally have better Press Agents.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

They might be good people.  If not, consider it a recon mission.

Either way, it will be productive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell you what all you guys saying welcome them with open arms.  I'll sell you a house in lovely Lincoln County Tennessee; with some fascinating new neighbors, for a realy great price.

Puh leeze! I'd never hold anyone back or deny them anything they deserve but I was raised in south Louisiana and know FOR A FACT how some of them are. I don't want the trashy ones anywhere near me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#14]
100 yards huh? What distance are your rifles sighted for?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen your welds, whip up some impenetrable fortress!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Tell you what all you guys saying welcome them with open arms.  I'll sell you a house in lovely Lincoln County Tennessee; with some fascinating new neighbors, for a realy great price.

Puh leeze! I'd never hold anyone back or deny them anything they deserve but I was raised in south Louisiana and know FOR A FACT how some of them are. I don't want the trashy ones anywhere near me.

The operative words here are 'SOME OF THEM'.

OTOH, I wouldn't want the trashy ones near me, either.

As usual, advice from Piccolo is his basic "Wait and see."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Some lady called my police dept and told us there are a bunch of refugees now at a church near the neighborhood.   She wanted to know if we could establish a perimiter that they couldnt go out of.   I told her they are AMERICAN CITIZENS,  Not imprisioned, and are free to go wherever and whenever they want!   she want pleased with my responce to say the least
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top