Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
My cousin in Arizona has volunteered to take one family into his home.    He was able to fill out a form stating that he comes from a Christian family and would expect that the refugee family would behave within those confines.

While I admire his generosity, I can't help but feel that is not the safest thing to do.  He has two children and I can't help that he is possibly putting them in a dangerous situation.

What do you think?

Poll coming.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Living here in Houston, I considered it. Then I thought about:

1. Liability (what if they get hurt, fall down, etc... will I get sued)?
2. My Dog. He is a house dog & if someone accidently opens the door enough for him to bolt out, he will get hit by a car (almost happened many times).
3. I barely make enough money to live myself, how do I support a whole family with food, entertainment & other living expenses.
4. I deploy to Iraq in three weeks. What do I do then?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
HELL NO!

ETA:  It is natural for you to want to help someone in need, but it seems that everyone takes advantage of the situation these days.  You could never get them to leave!  Who knows what else could happen.... especially with Firearms around.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds about as good as voting for Hillery Clinton
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
NO WAY.

How do you know you are not getting a looter turned evacuee? Not with all the "goodies" in my house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of these good intending citizens will end up raped or dead or both.  Noble thought but not for me.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NO WAY.

How do you know you are not getting a looter turned evacuee? Not with all the "goodies" in my house.

My thoughts exactly.  Bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't make this out to be more than what it is....one of the shelters (I don't remember which one) ran a quick background check on its evacuees and 30% had police records!
A church in town took in quite a few and said they were real appreciative and nice.  They were eager to help out anyway they could, and some had already found jobs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it's a noble idea.

Sadly, these days I don't think it's a smart idea.

And that's so damn sad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My initial impulse...
I would do it.  IF I knew them prior, and trusted them.  I am all for helping people, and this is a poor stab at rationalization, but if they were worth having, they would have family or friends around the country.

That said, I would probably do it anyway.  There would be rules, and if things turned bad I could always tell them to hit the road.  This can be what ifed to death, if it goes bad, I lose a few bucks or a TV.  If it turns out good, I could have some lifetime friends and take pride in the fact that I risked what I have to help somebody who was in need.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
i lik\e polls
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
i've considered that with some of my co-workers in the area.  It'd have to be someone I knew a little about.  Like some have said, you don't know what you'll be getting.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
no fucking way
I'd be willing to take clothes and food to the shelter, take my coleman stove and heat up the food, and if I had a musical talent like playing guitar I'd do that to give them some entertainment.
but no way I'd let complete strangers in my house
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit I'm doing it already. We have several people sleeping here and we are feeding people at my church.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure he has a "drop tv" so they don't take the good one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be afraid that they would not leave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife asked me about this today.  We are living very comfortably and with a little work rearranging furniture, we could accomodate a family of four without too much trouble.

I am still thinking about it, but sadly, I have to say that I have severe reservations because of everything we have witnessed in NOLA.  It is a sad reality, but it is reality nonetheless.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The people that really need it are the poor and uneducated. The people that don't need it have friends, family, and money. I won't take any into my house unless I am related or personally know them or their relatives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Only if I have some other previous experience with them.
I'd probably take in an Arfcommer, or a member of some of the other forums I'm on. But just some dude out of the blue? No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
It Aint going to happen here
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i've considered that with some of my co-workers in the area.  It'd have to be someone I knew a little about.  Like some have said, you don't know what you'll be getting.  

Amen.I'd do it ONLY if I could meet them 1st.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
If it was a little old lady who had no family, maybe...

Some 19 yo with 2-3 kids, no father around, no chance...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
How about organizing people to contribute enough monthly income for them to get their own place,
food and clothes.  I was thinking something like $2,000 a month for SIX months(maybe more)

If he can find twenty people that are willing to donate $100 a month(or 40X$50)that should
be enough for them to get an apartment.....in their name, with their own tv and telephone

If the person gets in trouble with the law or doesn't want to get a job, that would be their decision
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How about organizing people to contribute enough monthly income for them to get their own place,
food and clothes.  I was thinking something like $2,000 a month for SIX months(maybe more)

If he can find twenty people that are willing to donate $100 a month(or 40X$50)that should
be enough for them to get an apartment.....in their name, with their own tv and telephone

If the person gets in trouble with the law or doesn't want to get a job, that would be their decision

Definitely longer than 6 months. There are still people living in FEMA trailers since Ivan a year ago. Over 3,000 in the panhandle alone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely longer than 6 months. There are still people living in FEMA trailers since Ivan a year ago. Over 3,000 in the panhandle alone.

I was thinking about the people that would be relocating here and getting jobs.......just a thought
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My cousin in Arizona has volunteered to take one family into his home.    He was able to fill out a form stating that he comes from a Christian family and would expect that the refugee family would behave within those confines.

While I admire his generosity, I can't help but feel that is not the safest thing to do.  He has two children and I can't help that he is possibly putting them in a dangerous situation.

What do you think?

Poll coming.

He is a brave and honourable man
We here have the British spirit when it comes to hard times. We look after everyone and no one person is more important than another . We would probably have a very small amount of looters but generaly people here would want to help each other.
The WAR years showed us for our true colours
Many children were evacuated to the Countryside to escape the bombings and people took these children and families in without a second thought.
We even re-housed the prisoners after WW2 into our own society and the integration was pretty flawless

I want to see the humanity you guys are capable of

Don't even ask if it is ok to look after refugees

Just do it and expect no reward....do it because it needs doing

Not all of us are so lucky to avoid mother natures wrath

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the managers at work is from LA. I told him that if his house was full of fefugees from the flood that I would take a couple in our guest room. He said that all of his kin were in hotels. Several others that I asked whom I knew to have relatives in LA said the same thing. The offer was only going to be for relatives of people I knew and could vouch for them. So far no takers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Only if the looter I saw brings the plasma TV with him and leaves it when I kick him out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Only if they help out with the chores.
-Mow grass
-wipe granddad's ass and change his diaper
-take out the trash
-vacuum

you know, just the regular stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Hell no, not in my house with my wife and kid, if I lived alone perhaps, then I coudl secure the valuables and weapons, but my family is worth more to me, not that it matters, th eonly people who threaten to coem up here as refugees are whiny sore loser leftists
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-wipe granddad's ass and change his diaper

Ooooh, that was sick...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]
While I empathize with them and wish them lotsa luck, most are project welfare recipients who are used to getting handouts. I would not want them in my home in normal conditions, why would I want them stinking up the place under these conditions.

Most of what i saw on TV were demanding help, not asking for it.

The middle class working crowd were just saying it was terrible and sad. Not asking for help, just commenting on the destruction.

It would take alot of looking into and finding the right family. However, knowing what type of town NO was, they would most likely be strung out on dope and steal all my shit. I might let them pitch a tent for a few nights on the edge of the property and run a water hose out to them. For that they would need to cut the grass.

But, to knowingly take in a thug with a criminal record is insane. I hope TX is ready for the thugs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Hotel and stadiums are just fine
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My 1st job as a man is to protect my son, & provide him a decent place to live. I have no room for stranges inside my home. It's my safe place for my son & I. Unless it's a beautifull girl![j/k]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 2 refugees coming to my house tomorrow.  They are relatives of a friend of mine.  We made a deal that they would keep my house clean in exchange for housing and food for 2 months.  They only have the clothes on their backs, so I will also buy them some clothes.

My friend has secured jobs for them.  Staying at my house for 2 months will let them save some money to get an apartment.

We are working with another friend to secure an apartment.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#35]
My thoughts is it would only be a Single White Female With up to one child. First fuck up your out on your ass. Plus you will help out with all work around the Property just like family would be required to to . No males And No People of Minority.

Would that be to much to ask for.

My House my Rules.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have 2 refugees coming to my house tomorrow.  They are relatives of a friend of mine.  We made a deal that they would keep my house clean in exchange for housing and food for 2 months.  They only have the clothes on their backs, so I will also buy them some clothes.

My friend has secured jobs for them.  Staying at my house for 2 months will let them save some money to get an apartment.

We are working with another friend to secure an apartment.  

Roadhawk you are a good upstanding guy. I hope you are not inconvienenced too much.

I hear so much ...I need this
                       ...I want this
                       ...I should have this
                       ...I can't manage without this
                       ...I can't manage without that
                       ....I dont trust these
                       ....I don't trust them
                       ....I dont trust the police

It's great to hear someone caring about someone "ELSE" for a change

Good on you

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It Aint going to happen here

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've been pondering this myself, though not at my house.  I own a duplex that has one side vacant and am considering opening it up for a family for 3-6 months.  It's definitely not the Hilton, but it would be better than sharing your cot with dozens or hundreds of other people.  No refrigerator or furnishings, so someone would have to donate those.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that since you are a un-official Landlord . . . Federal Funds would be available to you.  Just might be a good idea in this situation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Unless you know them. It's trouble in the making .No way would I have them move into my house
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#41]
single hot coed chicks are welcome in my home...   ;)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#42]
oh, and if it were arranged with friends or family - that is different, but I would require them to leave when I leave, and they are guests only when I am around.  When I am at work, they are out looking for work or whatever - just not at my house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought for a while on this one. Sad to say I would have to say no. I cannot take that off chance of danger with my wife and kid. The ONLY way would be if I could have a full background check and NO visitors allowed EVER.  Years ago I would have said yes, nowadays, after watching what I have seen on TV, no.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm at sea too often, and I'll be damned if I'll leave Mrs Pic alone with a family of refugees from ANYWHERE.

OTOH, if I were a landsman, I'd take a family in in a heartbeat if they would sign a hold harmless agreement.

It's my nature to do things like that, I've had some pretty hard times and I don't forget.

OTOH, I don'twant to lose what I have because some damned ingrate sues me because they didn't like what was for dinner.

Final answer in my present shoes:No
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I would have to say that I could not/would not let them into my home, unless I new them, or friends of a friend. I would however be all for putting them up at the church, lock the few valuables away, and its safe. Give them sleeping bags or cots...some food and some games and books.  Refugees coming here to Indiana is unlikely. My point is that if  i was in the position, I would help them, but not trust into my home so that they can kill me while I sleep. hippie.gif

-Nick K.
Elkhart IN
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]
They'll use up all the hot water, hog the tv remote, eat your food,  leave the toilet seat either up or down, ask to borrow your car, etc etc.  No way in hell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#47]
i don't think it would be a good idea
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Can I choose them?  If they look like that Keyra chick, then no problem, come on in.

Got welfare...move along.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Unless I know them and know them well, not a chance in hell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Only if they voted for Bush.  If the Democrats want to make everything political, then let's!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top