Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:37:46 PM EDT
Does anyone have any information about what happen to the prisoners after the huricane?  Did they get moved?  Was it a maximum/medium/low security prision?  Someone told me that there was news about people in NO walking around in prison suits?!?  Are these the same people stealing guns and body armor?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they were let out

aviator
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any information about what happen to the prisoners after the huricane?  Did they get moved?  Was it a maximum/medium/low security prision?  Someone told me that there was news about people in NO walking around in prison suits?!?  Are these the same people stealing guns and body armor?

A number of them were on a bridge together in jumnpsuits and flexcuffs. Many were released before the storm hit from city jails....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe they were let out

aviator

Yep, hopefully not the ones in jail for life.

With luck, the ones that were in for life got simple "Guess what? Your sentence may have just gotten a whole lot shorter."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I HEARD one RUMOR that they were taken to the SuperDome. But without supervision, or adequate supervision anyways. Pay attention to the words "heard" and "rumor". I have no idea if there is any truth to this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
the cannibals got 'em...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Um...I done heard tell.........

NPR ran a senior LA corrections official.  Name & dep't escape me at this moment.

He described in some detail the lengths the corrections department went to in relocating prisoners from the jails in the danger zone.  Long story short, they re-distributed inmates through out the state.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll tell you what happenned to the prisoners.  Many are being bussed to your town.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think they released any prisoners serving a sentence although they may have released prisoners who were in jail in lieu of paying a fine.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090300955.html

The evacuation of prisoners in Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard parishes was complete by Thursday without a single escape, officials said; deputies and their families were finished evacuating a day later.

The New Orleans justice system is primarily moving up the road about 60 miles. But it continues to face logistical nightmares created by the flooding and destruction by Katrina.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top