Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:03:46 PM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/04/katrina.world.aid/index.html

100 million from a mid east country
More aid from Venezuela, Iran, Cuba, Mexico etc. than Japans few hundred thousand dollars. Does this seem odd?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What, they are supposed to bail us out for building an entire city under sea level?  

The Japs have a pretty good history of sending money and aid to disaster areas and third world countries.  Check out their previous international aid achievments and expenditures.  They've done their part overall.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I'm concerned, we don't need any help from anybody. I'm thankful for whatever they decide they can spare. I can't bring myself to pass value judgements on other countries, given the ample resources and generousity we have right here.

If Timbuktu kicks down 10 bucks, I'm fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't EXPECT anything, just surprised to see so much from other countries in comparison.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, that clarifies things, but the title of this thread doesn't state "I appreciate the generosity and sentiment of other countries in our hour of need."  It questions whether the Japs are being cheap.

Generally, they are not, and in general, I would say that Japanese post-WWII culture has been much more aware of the long-term than American culture.  I am not saying I like Japanese culture better, quite the opposite.  But if you look at their foreign and domestic policy, they've done quite a bit with a little.

To a large degree, we Americans can be proud that we helped such a small country to become so functional in the modern world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't EXPECT anything, just surprised to see so much from other countries in comparison.

Some of those other countries are going to
expect a quid-pro-quo...Japan ain't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This recalls the UN official calling the US cheap following the tsunami. I guess I was just raised with better manners.

Thank you Japan.

Kudos, excellent job at self praise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Japan has the second largest economy on the world.

They can, and should do more

and China ought to be right behind them, with some of those Walmart dollars
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The Japanese are doing their job by sending us quality automobiles. If it wasn't for them we'd all be driving Pintos or Volares...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wish all the whinney bitches would shut up...

You have probably spent a lot of coin at Wallyworld or anywhere selling Chinese goods...

This country was built on self-reliance, no one gave us a 'loan' or welfare to make this country the best country in the world...

I am really worried about the future of this country, damn gald I have already spent half my life in a great country, we will see how the other half goes with the cry-babies running things...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Chinese know how to evacuate when they have a big typhoon. I don't think they should reward a part of our population for acting like they are from Bangledesh...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Could do worse than the Volare.  Three made by AMC, for example-- Gremlin, Hornet, Pacer.  
At least the engine and the transmission on the Volare were fairly reliable as the rest of the car fell apart.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Spoken like a welfare queen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Could do worse than the Volare.  Three made by AMC, for example-- Gremlin, Hornet, Pacer.  
At least the engine and the transmission on the Volare were fairly reliable as the rest of the car fell apart.  

The 258 straight six and 304 V8 were good engines. I think you are confusing ugliness with quality...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Let me clarify, I started this topic because I was surprised at the generosity of many countries who we are not currently on the best of terms with, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba etc. and just wondering what the Japanese were thinking with such a small offering in comparison, it's not the best P.R. move I've seen. And I agree that anything is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Japan provides the US  with about $2billion to 2.5 billion per year for expenses for the millitary stationed in Japan.
I think to want more would be at the least a bit impolite.

I think that equipment is needed more than money at the present anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree on the AMC engines, but I assume there was a reason why Consumer News in the 70s was listing the Pacer on its list of "top ten worst cars."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of you guys sound like the looters, we deserve more.  I am happy to get anything.  Why do expect people to contribute?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#21]
They already hold about 5 trillion in bonds that has kept us from going bankrupt  I think they have done enough.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]
It's the thought that counts

In reality, they don't want to be seen as trying to "buy" American favors.  It's actually a typically oriental way of doing things.  Rather than make a huge offering that they know we will probably refuse, and look like they're placing themsleves above us, or that they're placing the US on the same level as some third world shithole that they offer millions.  They make a token offer that gets refused and everyone saves face.  

Our future lies in the Pacific.  Start getting used to the way the Asian mind works.

ETA: to them, the EU offer of millions, etc is like a slap in the face.  It's like saying,"America, you're a third world shithole, so we'll throw some Euros your way too!"

If we really needed the help, they'd have offered more.  They know we don't, and they respect us enough to not offer that kind of help.  

Like I said, oriental way of thinking.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

In reality, they don't want to be seen as trying to "buy" American favors.  It's actually a typically oriental way of doing things.  Rather than make a huge offering that they know we will probably refuse, and look like they're placing themsleves above us, or that they're placing the US on the same level as some third world shithole that they offer millions.  They make a token offer that gets refused and everyone saves face.  

Our future lies in the Pacific.  Start getting used to the way the Asian mind works.

ETA: to them, the EU offer of millions, etc is like a slap in the face.  It's like saying,"America, you're a third world shithole, so we'll throw some Euros your way too!"

If we really needed the help, they'd have offered more.  They know we don't, and they respect us enough to not offer that kind of help.  

Ross, youre a smart man.  The saving of honor and face is paramount.  The money means zilch.  The fact they have sent troops when their constitution forbids it is a real gesture.  The small amount is saying you can do this yourself since you are just as powerful or more then us.  Its a gesture or acknowledgement only.  All the Asian countries if you notice have done this. But they will send all the personel if requested.

The fact that Indonesia, India and Thailand that got smacked is offering their help is great.  They have nothing to give but they are willing to share what they have.

ETA: The real question is where are the fucking saudis?  They could repair all of NO with less then 3 months of their take from the sale of oil.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you expect after we nuked them.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ross, youre a smart man.  The saving of honor and face is paramount.  The money means zilch.  The fact they have sent troops when their constitution forbids it is a real gesture.  The small amount is saying you can do this yourself since you are just as powerful or more then us.  Its a gesture or acknowledgement only.  All the Asian countries if you notice have done this. But they will send all the personel if requested.

The fact that Indonesia, India and Thailand that got smacked is offering their help is great.  They have nothing to give but they are willing to share what they have.

ETA: The real question is where are the fucking saudis?  They could repair all of NO with less then 3 months of their take from the sale of oil.

+1, all the way 'round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If it wasn't for them we'd all be driving Pintos or Volares...

Plymouth/Dodge Volaries/Aspens

I think this is just the beginning. The Japanese usually step up to the plate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Saudi GDP is about 300 billion. Estimated damages are at about 100 billion. So obviously, no, they could not rebuild NO with 'less than 3 month of oil sales'.

WTF is it with you people expecting handouts from around the world, then shitting on the offers that are made?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish all the whinney bitches would shut up...

You have probably spent a lot of coin at Wallyworld or anywhere selling Chinese goods...

This country was built on self-reliance, no one gave us a 'loan' or welfare to make this country the best country in the world...

I am really worried about the future of this country, damn gald I have already spent half my life in a great country, we will see how the other half goes with the cry-babies running things...

surely you arent calling me a whinney bitch, cap

and NO I dont spend squat at wally world

But am I sick of my fucking tax dollars going to help SE Asia when the wave comes, or exporting jobs at the rate of 1,000s a day and then getting cold shouldered when the shoe's is on the other foot.

F you for your selfish and childish mentality

and for what its worth I dont need their hand out or charity, but the people in NOLa do
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saudi GDP is about 300 billion. Estimated damages are at about 100 billion. So obviously, no, they could not rebuild NO with 'less than 3 month of oil sales'.

WTF is it with you people expecting handouts from around the world, then shitting on the offers that are made?

WTF are you talking about.  Who said we wanted a handout.  We are having a discussion of offers that have filtered in.  You need to brush up on your reading skills.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#30]
"now children, children, children, you shouldn't hate other people just because they're different from you... Here, let me sing you a little song..."

Er-- Ardoc, I am pretty sure that Tomislav is not bitching at you specifically, as you haven't been excoriating the Japanese over perceived miserly behavior.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't give two shits about how much other countries give us, I just care that they give us any. Why,

you ask? Well, number one, every fucking country always has their hand out begging for the scraps that

Uncle Sam can spare them. But when the shit fills on our plates, it's like the rest of the world scrams.

First of all, I believe a huge reason Japan gave so much money to Tsunami victims is because they live

on a fucking island, that is, a land mass surrounded by water! They probably shit themselves when they

thought a natural disaster such as that could happen to them and they are putting in the money now, so

when it happens to them later, they can wag their fingers and spout off about how much they gave. We

have allies and we have enemies... we should give to those pragmatic allies that can help us and tell the

rest of the world to fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They already hold about 5 trillion in bonds that has kept us from going bankrupt  I think they have done enough.

Well, closer to 700 billion, but with their shoring up of the US dollar by their treasury, they are helping us to a degree that the majority of unsophisticated, uneducated simpletons here could not imagine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/04/katrina.world.aid/index.html

100 million from a mid east country
More aid from Venezuela, Iran, Cuba, Mexico etc. than Japans few hundred thousand dollars. Does this seem odd?

How much did you give?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Japan provides the US  with about $2billion to 2.5 billion per year for expenses for the millitary stationed in Japan.
I think to want more would be at the least a bit impolite.

I think that equipment is needed more than money at the present anyway.

Not to mention that their economy has been in recession for about 10 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top