Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:29 PM EDT
Got the call a few minutes ago. Don't know when my partner  from the Los Alamos Fire Dept.(Michael Gill), and I will be leaving.  Probably in the next few days.
The paperwork says to bring an aidbag, and a backpack with sleeping bag ,and personal effects. No guarantee of any shelter, so I'm taking my tiny one person tent. Food may only be MRE's
Paperwork also says there is no guarantee of any transportation once in our area, so be prepared to carry everything we bring on our back.
The last time my  Alice pack was full and heavy was back in 1976, climbing the hills of the Panama Canal Zone.
I "borrowed" it, always knowing that I would need it for something in the future. Guess this is it.
Need to buy some quality rain gear tomorrow, and some insect repellant, maybe a foam sleeping pad. Think I have everything else I need.
Will be going to Atlanta for some training, before being deployed for a minimum of 30 days.
Keep me in your prayers..  Will miss spending 5 hours (or more) per day on here.

Andrew
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother has been there since Monday. I finally heard from him today, and he says he is worshipped by all around him for bringing a camping shower.

...just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget an LED flashlight and spare batteries.

And check this thread in BOTS for some more good advice.

Stay safe, brother.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
FEMA is a bunch of ASSHOLES!!!

My Chief signed off on my application along with another member, all the forms filled out and faxed. I then get a call from FEMA saying I didn't put a fax number, I say "The fax is in our administration offices and will not be available until tuesday, so contact me via phone or e-mail" then the clown asks for my Chiefs E-mail addy................YEA, like I keep that handy, besides he went away for the holiday weekend. No where on the form or application do they ask for a chief officers e-mail addy.

Then the twit says " you didn't put your teamates name in box 21". "HEY DIPSHIT there is no box 21 on the form!!!!!

Then he says I used the wrong application, ........get this ,...its a link from their website, they have it wrong (since has been fixed) " you need form 75-5 not 75-5A", well then fix your website !!!!

Then he asks me to submit a new application, All the info they needed was on the form I submitted, go play paper games on someone elses time. I can't get a chiefs signature until Tuesday, as it was I drove over his house and stopped him from cutting his lawn to sign the first one

He tells me (FEMA) "you have what we are looking for, you'll be enroute within 1 or 2 days all I need is a new application" I tell him put my info on a new one if you like, "we're too busy, I've been going through thousands of these, and besides I shreaded it"

If you have seen 1000's how can you remember mine? either you took notes or its in front of you.

FULL of SHIT thats what I think!

19yrs FF/EMT IAFF 2033
Logistics Squad Officer CT D.P.S. Div Homeland Security USAR Team CT-TF1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
this thread died quick...guess everyone just wants to talk about shooting looters
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to the Gulf Coast
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
does anyone want
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
FEMA is a bunch of ASSHOLES!!!

My Chief signed off on my application along with another member, all the forms filled out and faxed. I then get a call from FEMA saying I didn't put a fax number, I say "The fax is in our administration offices and will not be available until tuesday, so contact me via phone or e-mail" then the clown asks for my Chiefs E-mail addy................YEA, like I keep that handy, besides he went away for the holiday weekend. No where on the form or application do they ask for a chief officers e-mail addy.

Then the twit says " you didn't put your teamates name in box 21". "HEY DIPSHIT there is no box 21 on the form!!!!!

Then he says I used the wrong application, ........get this ,...its a link from their website, they have it wrong (since has been fixed) " you need form 75-5 not 75-5A", well then fix your website !!!!

Then he asks me to submit a new application, All the info they needed was on the form I submitted, go play paper games on someone elses time. I can't get a chiefs signature until Tuesday, as it was I drove over his house and stopped him from cutting his lawn to sign the first one

He tells me (FEMA) "you have what we are looking for, you'll be enroute within 1 or 2 days all I need is a new application" I tell him put my info on a new one if you like, "we're too busy, I've been going through thousands of these, and besides I shreaded it"

If you have seen 1000's how can you remember mine? either you took notes or its in front of you.

FULL of SHIT thats what I think!

Paper pushing assholes!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
to say "good luck", and tell us how you are doing??
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Read up in the survival forum PDQ, before you go. There's alot of good stuff there - particuarly when it comes to getting your bag together.

Good luck! My prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
If I created this deployment using G.I. Joe dolls , there would be 5 or 6 pages by now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Nah.

I'm just here to bitch.

ETA I have a few friends and a few more work aquaintances who are there right now as part of USAR team 4 out of Oakland. They are still doing boat rescues (these are some of our swiftwater rescue guys). Think of it as an extended camping trip. With bullet proof vests.

Good luck!!!

Stay safe!

ETA keep us updated if you can. I wish that I could be there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooting looters would be more fun than recovering bodies thats been there for almost a week now,  just my 2cents though
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn Uncle Frank, you're quick on the trigger!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good luck, and if for some reason you end up in north Mississippi stop off in Batesville. Lunch (or dinner) is on me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
vas con dios, mi amigo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay safe. Good luck. And don't drink the water!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
jstang: This doesn't surprise me. The other day, a FEMA person delivered some generators and supplies to a hard hit city, and the local PD cheif, said that the driver didn't drop off the load because the drop off site wasn't inspected by a FEMA authorized inspector, so the truck just turned around and went back. The mayor NOLA and the gov of LA should not bear all of the blame for the f'ckups. FEMA should be some of the blame also.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn Uncle Frank, you're quick on the trigger!!!

That's what my ex always told me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top