Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:37 AM EDT
I'm searching now.  Anyone hear anything?  Am I going to be sentenced to death for a dupe?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't ventured out much, but my usual fueling stops here in P'Cola have no fuel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I haven't ventured out much, but my usual fueling stops here in P'Cola have no fuel.

Holy crap.  I hope you've got some preps squared away and are safe and ok.

Best wishes.  I hope it doesn't get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Same for Panama City.

ETA:  I think it's mostly because of THIS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Some places around where I live are running out. I see alot of people with multiple gas cans filling them all up and saw a guy with a 55gal drum pumping gas into it (hope he blows up). In the paper this morning it said there was 170 million gallons of gas at the ports in FL. The people are making the shortages, buying more than they need.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Lake County has more gas today than it did yesterday.  Mid-grade @ 3.15
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
No problems in this area yet.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#7]

No shortages here.  I'm doing my part;  I'm going camping nearby this weekend.  I'm burning wood not gas.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some places around where I live are running out. I see alot of people with multiple gas cans filling them all up and saw a guy with a 55gal drum pumping gas into it (hope he blows up). In the paper this morning it said there was 170 million gallons of gas at the ports in FL. The people are making the shortages, buying more than they need.

Exactly our problem here as well.  Problem is it seems to spiral and make more people do the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I talked to my brother who is in Pensecola yesterday. He said that people were pretty much going nuts around there, buying up gas like it was the end of the world. He told me that the lines at the gas stations to get gas were longer than they were before Ivan hit last year. A lot of gas stations have "no gas" signs up and bags taped over the gas nozzles. Prices were still about $2.65 though. It's up to $3.15 here, at least as of last night. It may have gone up again today (WI law says you can only raise prices once ever 24hrs.).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]

We're OK here, Pinellas Co, except I've noticed some places have no 87.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Some stations around me went up to $3.20 for regular.  Several places only have Super left.  Some are out completely.  Even the PD posted a notice that we need to conserve gas, as our delivery is delayed.  I was driving around yesterday and there were lines at the pumps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I passed a gas station this morning (Reading, PA) on the way to work that had cones in front of the pumps... I'm assuming that meant they were outta gas...

Just paid $3.19/gal for 87 octane in my dually, and $3.85/gal for 94 ultra in my Turbo Buick.
Wife put $33 in her car...

$159 worth of gas in three vehicles...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]
$3.50 last night.
$4.00 today in NH.... greed!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Seems to be calm here.  Southwest suburb of Atlanta.  A couple of stations are still out, but most everybody is back up and running, and I haven't seen any lines today.  Most everybody is about 3.00 - 3.20 for regular.

Anybody know how things are in the Carolinas?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Net Rumor Sparks Frantic Gas Grab...

www.local10.com/news/4918480/detail.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, i've been hearing that also. I filled up my car & my wife's last night.  $3.08 per gallon.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
They (The Oil Companies) Could have avoided the whole thing by NOT raising prices in the first place. And the media is also to blame for inciting a panic. Now people are running around like its the end of the world. This all could have been avoided. The oil companies suck for their greed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Net Rumor Sparks Frantic Gas Grab...

www.local10.com/news/4918480/detail.html

This wasn't a 'form letter' e-mail...it was just someone saying the station they go to was out (like some of the posters here) but that's interesting about the bogus e-mail.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#19]
same crap was happening in atlanta 2 days ago. rumors started with at least one major media company in atlanta emailing all of its employees to go out immediately and get gas because atlanta was gonna be bone dry by the weekend

i used to wonder what the BS phrase 'we have nothing to fear but fear itself' really meant. i now understand what that means.

there is a shortage. but nothing that a little common sense (drive less until the things loosen up and dont hoard) wouldna address.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yep, i've been hearing that also. I filled up my car & my wife's last night.  $3.08 per gallon.  

308?  That's a hell of a lot better than 556!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Several stations have run dry here in Orlando, unfortunately; it gets worse!

There is good and bad news...

The bad: Its labor day weekend, and all the stores are running out of beer!!!! Since gas is soo expensive, no more will be coming in til next week!!  FUCK, WTH am i supposed to do?

The good: Being labor day weekend, Bud-light and Miller-lite are having a price war here, 20 case of bud-light bottles is $6, and an 18 pack of Miller-lite is $5.50. While supplies last....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#22]
$3.09 here in Lakeland for 87 $3.39 for 93
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/katrina.asp

Sounds pretty inconclusive.  I'd rather go off the first hand accounts of ARFCOMmers.  ARFCOM is a great resource that way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Exactly what is going on. Rumors like this causing bullshit like this to happen. Tanker delivered gas to my local Chevron station this morning, no shortage, just  horders adding to the problem.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what is going on. Rumors like this causing bullshit like this to happen. Tanker delivered gas to my local Chevron station this morning, no shortage, just  horders adding to the problem.  

I decide what I need.
The fact that the system can run out of gas because of a rumor shows to me that it's vulnerable enough that I have damn good reason to stash a little bit of gas for an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Not near me. No lines or anything.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Well with all the refineries near the port I think S. Fla is gonna be fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds pretty inconclusive.  I'd rather go off the first hand accounts of ARFCOMmers.  ARFCOM is a great resource that way.

If you prefer. In South Florida (Specifically Naples, and Ft. Myers) every station that was out of gas yesterday (due to the hyped mass panic that ensued), had a truck refilling their pumps This morning. As of Lunch time ALL stations still had fuel. At one station I had a discussion with the manager, he said their deliveries are all on schedule.

Basically it is all hyped panic buying.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I passed a gas station this morning (Reading, PA) on the way to work that had cones in front of the pumps... I'm assuming that meant they were outta gas...

Just paid $3.19/gal for 87 octane in my dually, and $3.85/gal for 94 ultra in my Turbo Buick.

Lemme guess. You tool around in your dually with just yourseld and no one else.....  
Im also going out on a limb when I say that you drive that turbo buick like a monkey in heat right?

The writing was on the wall months ago, if you didnt have enough sense to get an econo shitbox then I have no sympathy for you or your kind.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you prefer. In South Florida (Specifically Naples, and Ft. Myers) every station that was out of gas yesterday (due to the hyped mass panic that ensued), had a truck refilling their pumps This morning. As of Lunch time ALL stations still had fuel. At one station I had a discussion with the manager, he said their deliveries are all on schedule.

Basically it is all hyped panic buying.

Hyped panic buying can cause you problems too if you end up being the person without.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lemme guess. You tool around in your dually with just yourseld and no one else.....  
Im also going out on a limb when I say that you drive that turbo buick like a monkey in heat right?

The writing was on the wall months ago, if you didnt have enough sense to get an econo shitbox then I have no sympathy for you or your kind.

Actually, you are way off...

The dually is my 34 gallon storage tank for the Buick. The Buick gets 22+ mpg.  I've been driving the Buick regularly the last few weeks. It used to be my "fair-weather-only" car, but will now be driven in the rain.
We also parked our 454 powered Suburban in favor of a Toyota Camry.

The Dually and the Suburban are parked in the yard, and are holding 76 gallons of "reserve" fuel for My 22mpg Buick and my wife's 30mpg Toyota...

So....
Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hyped panic buying can cause you problems too if you end up being the person without.

Exactly...

I'd rather be the FIRST to "panic buy" than the LAST.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Some stations are out here in Zephyrhills, some have a few pumps closed, some have plenty. $2.79 and up a gallon.
No gas cans left at Wally World or anywhere else really, but I found a John Deere dealer with a fresh shipment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I didn't know Florida ran on gas.  I guess we will just have to leave it on the side of the road until we can get it filled up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Well Duh. There is no gas. NW Florida is the closest stop for gas when you leave war torn LA, MS, and AL. They have to come here for gas.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#37]
We got plenty here in Franklin county. No lines either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I didn't know Florida ran on gas.  I guess we will just have to leave it on the side of the road until we can get it filled up.

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I haven't seen any gas in PNS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's BS. If they have 89 then they have to have 87. How they get 89 is mix 87 and 93 and out comes the midgrade. Theyre just saying they dont have 87 so you have to buy the more expensive shit before they run out of the cheap stuff that makes it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's BS. If they have 89 then they have to have 87. How they get 89 is mix 87 and 93 and out comes the midgrade. Theyre just saying they dont have 87 so you have to buy the more expensive shit before they run out of the cheap stuff that makes it!

If that is true at all, then it isn't true at all stations.  Around here, regular 87 has No Ethanol, and 89 has   E15, or 15% ethanol.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is true at all, then it isn't true at all stations.  Around here, regular 87 has No Ethanol, and 89 has   E15, or 15% ethanol.

What about the 93?  I'm no expert by all means but when I worked at a gas station this is how the techs explained it to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top