Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 8:59:31 PM EDT
I grew up fearing just the damned russkies.Nowadays we have billions of militant muslims, chinam a new russian maybe, backpack nukes, etc etc, I miss the good ol' USSR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss the days of having an organized and definitive enemy with a border.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
yes it is hard to yen without a yang
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It was such a simpler time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh the good ol days. Always wondering when full scale nuclear war was going to occur.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Duck and cover!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Duck and cover!

boy no joke.  No, I don't miss it.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Nope, I sure as hell don't miss it at all.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Granted, while I was a young kid during the 80's (and thus living during the tail end of the cold war), I do agree that life seemed a lot more simpler and perhaps "black and white."  

While I'm happy that both NATO and the Warsaw Pact did not slug it out, the tension that existed between both sides had the positive effect of keeping the rest of the world's cesspools in check, on their respective sides.  Once that restraint was removed, that was the beginning of the chaos that we are presently experiencing both at home and abroad (and across all segments of our society).

But never fear, the West (more specifically, America) will have a new power block (or block's?) with which to face off in the not so distant future.  Its just the nature of things, power vacuums or single empires never last.

Any thoughts on who our new adversaries will be in the future?  Who will be the next "Warsaw Pact," per se?

- PM

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Two Axis of Evil are in our future: China + North Korea, and the whole combined middle east. Maybe they'll even join to form just one Axis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top