Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 7:09:11 PM EDT
i do i do!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately time to think about having something for night time.  After reading "Lights Out" and thinking of NO during a power outage, definately time to get something.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Definately time to think about having something for night time.  After reading "Lights Out" and thinking of NO during a power outage, definately time to get something.  

I don't know if you or your budget is up to it.  Your stuff is generally pretty shitty.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
have you ever shot your pistol at night?  After the first shot you can't see your hands let alone anything else....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
have you ever shot your pistol at night?  After the first shot you can't see your hands let alone anything else....

Then you are using shitty ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I use a single-shot muzzle loader for self-defense so that first shot really counts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you mention this. I was just admiring mine before I came to work tonight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I got to borrow a pair of PVS-7s from a friend of mine the other day.  Very impressed, I was
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
have you ever shot your pistol at night? After the first shot you can't see your hands let alone anything else....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you are using shitty ammo.

You must live in a city with lots of light polution... Cause in real darkness with adjusted eyes, all ammo blinds you from a pistol.  Well, I suppose a 22 might not...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Where can I find night sights for my 10/22 and my 38 though?

Although really WHO makes night sights for an SKS? Or can I rip one off of a tantal?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...Cause in real darkness with adjusted eyes, all ammo blinds you from a pistol.

No, it won't. Stop shooting that cheap-shit gunshow reload stuff, and get some quality defense ammo. Winchester Ranger 147gr 9mm out of my Sig 229 in low-light does not 'blind me'.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
It's their, not there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I really am not a big fan, myself.

1) If you can see (and properly identify) your target, you can see the outline of your sights.
2) Night sights make you feel like you have a better sight picture/target acquisition than you do.
3) Night sights make me slower during the day.  I find that my eye is “distracted” by them (unconsciously), and I shoot faster without them.
4) It is hard to control for elevation with them.  (I know, I know...they are for short distances.  Well, if they are for short distances, what do you need them for?)

About the only good they are for is to find your gun in the middle of the night.  Then again, I don’t need them for this either.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
That little green bar glowing softly in the dark is comforting......
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

1) If you can see (and properly identify) your target, you can see the outline of your sights.

+1

By the time they're effective, I can't see shit beyond that front sight. If I light it up with a weapons light, which is a better method of fighting at night, the front sight loses its "glow".

IMHO, they're pretty much useless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

By the time they're effective, I can't see shit beyond that front sight. If I light it up with a weapons light, which is a better method of fighting at night, the front sight loses its "glow".

What about using a weapons light?  That always seems to make seeing my sights even harder.  (I don;t have the night sights)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Obviously, pistol night sights are not for NO-light situations; they are for LOW-light situations. Your target may be in light, and you are not. Or it's dawn/dusk/other condition of low ambient light.

For the price of a set of night sights, it's stupid to not have them on a carry piece. Well, for those of that use a 'sight picture', at least.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

What about using a weapons light?  That always seems to make seeing my sights even harder.  (I don;t have the night sights)

I have no problem. If the target is illuminated by my light, I can see the silhouette of my sights very clearly....but not the glow of the night sights. So, in that situation they are inneffective.

When my target is in the dark, if its dark enough to be able to clearly see the glow of the sights, I can't see the target well enough anyway. Inneffective in that case.

The only place where they are effective, IMHO, is as Tomislav just said....if I'm in the dark, the target is lit up. But, that's not a common scenario and even in that scenario I can clearly see the outline of my sights and can still shoot.

I think alot of people rely on the dots to aim....I seldom do. I use the bracket of the sight's outline to aim and in any situation where I can make out the outline of my sights against a target (which is most cases), I can still shoot well.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The only place where they are effective, IMHO, is as Tomislav just said....if I'm in the dark, the target is lit up. But, that's not a common scenario and even in that scenario I can clearly see the outline of my sights and can still shoot.

Light conditions vary in the wild. Just look at your average suburban street in the evening or even at night; Spots may be dark, spots may be lit by streetlights or whatnot, spots may still get sunlight, et cetera.

There are many good things about them, and nothing bad. Spend the money, cheapskate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top