Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 5:27:21 PM EDT
I was just wondering, Given the recent spike in fuel prices.  I know the prices have steadliy been on the rise for months and months, do you think the market for hybrid vehicles will increase?

50 miles to the gallon means filling up a few less times per month.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

I just got a Saturn used, and the guy said that they were working with other companies on bringing out a car, van, and suv with hybrid engines for next year.

He also said that they're building an extended version of the Saturn SUV, and said it was a stupid move by corporate 'cause they won't sell any.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What I don't get is this:  Why don't the car companies just build and market a car that runs on ALCOHOL????  Seriously... they make race cars that run on the stuff, so I know they can be built with enough power.  And alcohol is renewable.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know why,  But since alcohol is renewable, it makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know at what price level gas would have to hit for it to be viable. But, everything I have ever read on Hybrid autos (Smart Money, Forbes, etc, etc) says that the cost to benefit ratio is not worth it.
Your better off (money wise) getting a Corolla or Civic than a Prius or Civic Hybrid.

Personally, I would like to see the auto companies look at the F-1 technology that allows the driver to control the power and fuel consumption of the automobile. Say, have setting for city, sport, cruise, etc. If you wana speed, set it performance... If you wana be economical, set it to that. Would be an interesting concept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top