Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:19:29 PM EDT
Examples:
You were charged by a rhino

You were violated by a rutting buck

You got lost in a snow storm and made an igloo to survive etc...

Let's have 'em.  I want to use your misery for my reading pleasure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I was rock climbing once and almost fell a few 100 ft. Slipped but caught myself.

That was my closest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I sat in a tree stand at three in the morning, cold, hungry, had to pee, with a .308 rifle ready to shoot Bambi's dad, which no one in my family would eat,  when I realized I could be at home in bed with a red head.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I was duck hunting with my Dad and another guy.  While in the 14 ft john boat we had a problem.  My 140 pound ass was driving, my Dad's 230 pounds was in the front and the other guy was in the middle with his dog.  This was a big dog.  He decided to jump in the front of the boat and down goes the boat.  I jumped back and sat on the motor to keep the front of the boat up, no dice.  My Dad and I knew the water wasn't very deep.  I thought it was 6-8 feet.  I had my waders unbuckeled and was ready to get my Dad out of his in case we went all the way under.  It was only 5 feet deep.  The other guy had no idea and was freaking out.  I told him to stand up.  He did.  Then it was funny.  So not really that dangerous, but damn scarry for a few seconds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the farm in VA. I fixed it up and sold it 5 years later. Then I moved to FL.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Filled my "b" tag (whitetail doe only).  Shot it in the head with my 30-06.  
   I walked up and the deer was laying in the brush looked dead.  So i layed my gun on a tree and pulled my knife, then proceded to pull the deer out of the brush to a clearing where i could work easier for bleeding it out and gutting it.  Then it woke up.  
   I had ahold of the hind leg of a now thrashing, injured, pissed off whitetail doe. Holding on for dear life i lunged on top of the deer and started stabbing it in the back.  We later we counted 4 stab wounds before i hit the spine and managed to put it down.  I also had a nasty hoof shaped bruse on my inner thigh where the deer got in a good kick.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I sat in a tree stand at three in the morning, cold, hungry, had to pee, with a .308 rifle ready to shoot Bambi's dad, which no one in my family would eat,  when I realized I could be at home in bed with a red head.

You're in Alabama, shoot Bambi's mom!  Too many deer down there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Filled my "b" tag (whitetail doe only).  Shot it in the head with my 30-06.  
   I walked up and the deer was laying in the brush looked dead.  So i layed my gun on a tree and pulled my knife, then proceded to pull the deer out of the brush to a clearing where i could work easier for bleeding it out and gutting it.  Then it woke up.  
   I had ahold of the hind leg of a now thrashing, injured, pissed off whitetail doe. Holding on for dear life i lunged on top of the deer and started stabbing it in the back.  We later we counted 4 stab wounds before i hit the spine and managed to put it down.  I also had a nasty hoof shaped bruse on my inner thigh where the deer got in a good kick.

Suuuuuuuuuuuure.

I think I've heard that story before, you sure it wasn't a crocodile?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I was out snowmobiling with a friend, about six years ago.  we decided to split up, while he went  up this one trail, and I wanted to go up what they call "the roller coaster".  This was at newberry crater, near LaPine, Oregon by the way.

Anyways, while I was going up this trail, I had myself an accident and crashed the snowmobile into a tree.  I got a nice compound fracture on my left leg, and got scraped up quite a bit.  It was close to 4 hours before that friend of mine found me up there.

that was my closest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother, my father, and myself were repairing a box stand that was about 14' off the ground (floor of the stand). We were putting up the side the door is on but with the door removed.  The wind kicked up and pushed the whole side panel back onto me as I was standing on the entrance ladder.   It forced me backwards off the ladder and I had to put my feet in just the right places to avoid having my feet and legs impailed by our tools and the trailer we were carrying.  When I hit the ground safely, I then had to worry about the 100 pounds of lumber that was falling behind me.  Luckily, the door cutout fell around me (not like I had time to react).  It was like something out of a cartoon, but scary.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Lets just say that I learned the 'HARD' way that putting 'doe in rut' lure all over me and running around in the woods is NOT a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I was hunting up by Tuxedo NY. Sitting on a rock above a valley scanning with binoc's looking for deer. I see a flash on the bluff across from me at least 150-200yds away. So I start searching for the flash's origin. Its Billy-Bob with his scoped levergun pointed right in my direction. Im not sure if he knew I wans't Bambi, or if he even saw me. I didnt want to find out either way, so I grabbed my stuff and stated working my way back towards the path I came in on. Thats when I heard the shot, I don't know where it went, but I got the hell out of the area as quick as I could. My pucker factor was pretty high for a while after that. Now I wear blaze orange when Im in the woods during deer season.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I come damn close to falling 20 feet onto hard concrete.

I was installing a security camera at a convient store on one of the suporting poles over the gas pumps.
I was on my cell phone talking to another guy inside watching the video from the camera telling me which way to turn it and he was helping me focus the camera.

I leaned over to focus it and the ladder started to roll on the pole and it was going down.  I threw my newly purchased $300 cell phone jumped off the ladder and grabed ahold of that pole and slid down it like a fireman.

I got away with an abrasion on my arm from holding on to the pole to tightly as i slid down it.  Without my quick thinking I surly would have made a trip to the hospital, with at least a few broken bones.

ahaha oops i just realized you said hunting or outdoor story, lol oh well I guess you could consider my story an outside one ;)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
You dirty pole slider, you!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Rabbit hunting with my uncle - one of my first times out. Walking along a trail about 3 feet behind my uncle and there was a slight downward grade to our left.

Suddenly a shotgun blast from the left and the leaves on the trees a couple feet ahead of my uncle got shredded from their branches.  Thank the Lord neither of us where hit.

Called out to hold fire.  Fella appears outta the willows on our left a few feet away - doesnt even say boo, just turns around and walks away.

Hell, even had blaze vests on and he still didnt see us.  

Just a reminder - DONT SHOOT AT SOUNDS!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
This happened to me recently and I typed it up:

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but then I hear a lot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me, fast. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the selector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the C-spine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off big time though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

On my way home from this experieince I had yet another. I hustled back to my SUV and headed for home. As I pulled out, a Bald Eagle swooped down out over my vehicle and floated out over it, riding the airwave for about 200m. Eagle just floated there over the hood just feet in front of me. What a trip.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
A few years ago I came off a firelane approaching my car. Saw a wolf come up over the rise about 150m away. Just trotting along towards me. Pretty sure it is a Wolf so I am heading towards the car with my pup. I knew it saw me and wondered if in fact it would continue approaching me if it were truly a Wolf. It got to me a little before I made it to the car. It just stood there 10 ft away staring at me. And staring. Yellow eyes. It was thinking about it. About whether to attack if you want my opinion on it. Good thing I was near my car. It just stared me down and got my ass the hell out of there.

Found out later a mating pair was crossing a highway near there and the male was killed. I really think the female was looking for that car, that driver. That is the sense I was left with anyhow. Felt bad for her but it was good I wasn't eaten.

I had a knife on me that day but that was it. Started carrying a gun after that even though I'd already had more than a few close enocunters with bear.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]
2 friends and I were camping/shooting/hunting in the middle of nowhere. We woke up early one morning and decided to walk the road and see if we could jump a grouse or two. Being teenagers we decided to take every firearm we had with us. I had 2 pistols stuck in my belt, a rifle across my back, a belt of shotgun shells criss crossed over my chest, and a shotgun in my hands. My 2 friends were similarly armed. I jumped a grouse and tried a shot at it. It went to the west side of the road. Immediately after firing(twice), I heard 4 shots in rapid succession coming from the east side of the road. The bullets flew right over our heads. Then a guy comes running out of the woods saying he was going to kill us for shooting at him, blah, blah, etc..... I had shot away from him, but for some reason he thought I had shot at him. Once he stopped yelling, and realized there were now 3 firearms pointed at him, being held by 3 crazy eyed well-armed guys, he got the hell out of there. Turns out he was poaching bear(we found that out later in the afternoon after going back to where he had his stand). I don't know how far above our heads he shot, but it was damn close, and I'm not totally sure he was trying to shoot over our heads
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
tag for later
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Not mine but my Dad got dropped off in the middle of Canada by plane for a 10 day bear hunting trip. About 2 days into it some sick fucker started hunting my Dad and the guide. At first they thought it was other hunters who had mistaken them for whatever. After firing shots in the air and yelling more close rounds came in.

They spent the rest of the day hiding behind cover and snuck out that night. For the next several days they were tracked and randomly fired at. They eventually made the decision that to live they had to find and kill this guy. So a day or two of cat and mouse ensued with an exchange of fire as my father and the guide tried to set this guy up for the kill.

In the process they either unerved him or lost him because they weren't fired upon after that.

They made their way back to the pickup area and later reported the incident to the authorities. No idea what, if anything, became of it.

This was back in the last 1970s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I was just a teenager when I got charged by a cow moose in Montana.  I probobly only weighed about 13yo, 130 pounds and was about 5' 6" at the time.  It was about 2:00am in the morning and I started a fire in a potbellied stove in a small cabin I was staying in.  It got too hot so I ran outside in my skivies to the lone water faucet in camp to fill up a bowl with water.   On my 3rd trip I heard some crashing and snorting within 10 feet or so and I took off running.  I made it back to my cabin which was 100 or so feet away.

Next morning...you could see where the cow had chased me.  She hung around for a few hours in the morning until my uncle ran her off.

If you have ever seen an  adult moose.....you know wtf I'm talking about when I say I almost died (either fright or getting stoped ).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:   You dirty pole slider, you!

OK,
  ...that comment forces me to relate the following incident.  

This version may be even worse.  

Consider it a Pre-hunting, practicing, screw-up.

My younger brother, 'bout 14 at the time, decided to do a test run on a tree-climber.  

(Our Dad started building them back in the 60's.  These were the one's that had a lower platform that you strapped your feet into.  Undo a bolt, swing out an inverted v-shaped bar, wrap it around the tree, bolt it back to the stand frame, lock-in, lift your legs, & up you go.)

Anyway, my brother climbed up the wooden light pole in our front yard using the tree-stand.  Somewhere near the top it let loose and he slid down the pole to the ground.

It took the hospital doctor a few hours to remove all the creosote encrusted splinters from his Inner legs, arms, stomach,  ....

ETC

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Not mine but my Dad got dropped off in the middle of Canada by plane for a 10 day bear hunting trip. About 2 days into it some sick fucker started hunting my Dad and the guide. At first they thought it was other hunters who had mistaken them for whatever. After firing shots in the air and yelling more close rounds came in.

They spent the rest of the day hiding behind cover and snuck out that night. For the next several days they were tracked and randomly fired at. They eventually made the decision that to live they had to find and kill this guy. So a day or two of cat and mouse ensued with an exchange of fire as my father and the guide tried to set this guy up for the kill.

In the process they either unerved him or lost him because they weren't fired upon after that.

They made their way back to the pickup area and later reported the incident to the authorities. No idea what, if anything, became of it.

That made the hair on my neck stand up. Crazy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.  I'd want my dad with me if that ever happened.  He's the only one I know who'd have the knowledge to fix the situation.

ETA: Tag Added to favorites
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#30]
When I was about 12, my whole family, and several other friends were dove hunting.  We were in two different vehicles, making out way down a tight dirt road to an abandoned farm that my great aunt owned.  As we went down the road we passed a van that was loaded with "shady" type guys.  Long uncombed hair and scragly beards.  They also had a keen interest looking at us.  When we got to the farm after about 15 minutes we learned the doves weren't flying there that day.  When we decided to leave, we found the road blocked by the "shady"guys with thier van.  We blew the horn but they refused to move.  Later some guys came out of the woods with plants and loaded them into the van.  I can only assume it was Mary Jane.  They finally left and so did we a few minutes later.

Good thing those guys didn't try to fuck with us.  Everyone in the party was hunting with a 12 guage autoloader that day.  A total of 8 people armed to the teech would have made swiss cheese of those potheads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#31]
By brother fell out of his climbing tree stand.  knocked him out cold and broke his back
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Went hunting with my dad as a teenager, was sitting against a tree, when the tree exploded above me, after hearing a shot fired.  I hit the deck and look above me, and what do I see?  A huge frigging hole about a foot above where my head used to be.  I manage a look around and see a deer running away.  So I radio my dad, he comes over and says " I thought that was you shooting".  Then this assclown comes up from where that shot came from, and he explains that he saw a deer, But did'nt really know if he had a clean shot at it, so he "Shot and Prayed".  Claims he never saw me on the ground.  

We called the Game Comm, and advised them of the accident.  Nothing ever happened, but you never know, This guy may have moved out west and joined the Homong for all I know.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't give my Dad warm fuzzies either. I imagine that's probably as bad as things get short of whole platoons shooting at you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top