Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
The past few months have been difficult financially for my wife and I, and I have been unable to find a job after being laid off twice.  I would like to help the people effected by the recent hurricane, but finances prohibit me from volunteering.  Do any of you out there know of a contractor or other employer in the area?  I would be willing to travel anywhere from the Florida panhandle to southeast Texas.

I'm 21, fairly strong, and I'm not afraid of work.  I have some minimal experience as an apprentice electrician doing residential work, but I think the time for rebuilding is still pretty far away.  I can run a chain saw, sledge hammer, jackhammer, whatever is needed.  I have experience with tractors and skid-steers, and I learn fast.

Any ideas how I could hook up with an employer down south?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I work offshore, and who knows when I'll be able to return to work. Tag for responses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Drive down there with your own tools, and do your own work, and work for yourself. If you are ballsy, bill the gubmint, if not, people with cash are probably going to be willing to pay money to see their house unearthed by a tree that fell on it.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the GD young grasshopper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think going down with my own stuff and freeballing it is a bad idea.  People did that after Andrew and got thrown in prison.  Unlicensed contractor and all that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Give BelforUSA a call. Their the biggest natural disaster cleanup company in the world. I know they need lots of help and they pay well too.  Their number in Atlanta is (770) 939-0128 and for the State LA (817) 535-6793.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting up at 7AM tomorrow to give them a ring, thanks for the contact info!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top