Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:29 PM EDT
I'd forgotten how much this stuff kicks ass.

I used to live off of it while in college and haven't eaten it in years.

I bought a shitload of it at sams club last weekend in an attempt to cut back on my food expensise.

You can make a shitload of good tasting meals without spending much money using this stuff.

tonight I had three packages of ramen with a cup of frozen peas and carrots dumped in while it was cooking. Drain the water and sprinkle a little of the spice pack over the top and eat.

Total meal probably cost 30cents tasted good, and I'm stuffed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
addition of the frozen veggies is key

you can buy a big ass bag of store brand mixed veggies for less than a buck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I add parmesan cheese to mine. I dunno why, but parmesan makes everything taste better. I'm not above putting it on ice cream.

And horseradish. I love me some horseradish.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Go back to Sam's and get a 6 lb. bag of Tyson chicken breasts.  Add half a chicken breast to each meal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Besides the vegetables you can add some frozen shrimp and a couple of eggs, yum!  Some of the asian stores have all kinds of different ones, I like the Thai ones personally.

Plain ramen  even tastes good mixed with a can of mushroom soup.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Would vacuum bagging it make it last longer , like keep bugs or what ever out. I like mushrooms in mine , mmmmmmm mushrooms alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]

<------Big Ramen fan checking in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Sodium and nitrates are not a middle-aged white man's or black man's best friend, my friend. The Ramen is full of both.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sodium and nitrates are not a middle-aged white man's or black man's best friend, my friend. The Ramen is full of both.

yeah, I think most of the sodium is in the "flavor pack" though, so if oyu only use a small portion of that, or skip it entirely and use other seasonings on the noodles, it's not so bad. I know the noodles have a lot of fat in them.

Of course, then oyu're paying 10c a pop for pasta and can probably find better deals.

Anyone know if you can by the ramen style noodles bulk without the flavoring ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The noodles have a lot of fat because they're fried.

Try rice noodles for less fat.  They do have less flavor though.  Well, almost no flavor.  That can be corrected with a bit of fish sauce and some rice wine vinegar.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Mhmmm MSG  a boat load of salt and cheap noodles. damn I want some Ramen now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The noodles have a lot of fat because they're fried.

Try rice noodles for less fat.  They do have less flavor though.  Well, almost no flavor.  That can be corrected with a bit of fish sauce and some rice wine vinegar.

Why would they fry the noodles?  I always wondered why one of those ramens had 400 calories though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Damn!

No good for me, have HBP.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking of ramen, I think I'm going to fire up the microwave and have some creamy chicken.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep, I don't eat it very often. Once in a while at work and I may take a few packets of it backpacking for a quick, hot lunch. I doubt if the extra sodium will be a problem when humping a backpack in the hills. But other than that, I stay away from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top