Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 11:22:18 AM EDT

I hear and see alot of info about the coastline but little to no news,pics or videos of the oil refineries?

Are they hiding this from us in fear of panic?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe they are basically shut down because there is no electricity. Refineries need to be start up/down in a sequence, if not BOOM! I think most of them are waiting for reliable supply of AC power. Or maybe they are still assessing damage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I think yes....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard on a news program (don't remember which) that an oil drilling platform had washed up to shore and slammed into a bridge.  The bridge was still standing, but was closed to all traffic.

That sounds like a really big bridge, or a really small oil well!  At least, how I picture an off shore oil well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I heard on a news program (don't remember which) that an oil drilling platform had washed up to shore and slammed into a bridge.  The bridge was still standing, but was closed to all traffic.

That sounds like a really big bridge, or a really small oil well!  At least, how I picture an off shore oil well.

Wasn't offshore.  Was tied up in Mobile bay for repairs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yup....a really big bridge.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There were some pictures this morning on Yahoo photo essay regarding the hurricane effects on refineries.  Looked like an Amoco or Conoco flooded and then it mentioned several others.

That entire area is refinery rich.  luckily it didn't hit Lake Charles or Houston.  

The offshore stuff is unknown at this time.  One member here says that he works on the off shore ones and doesn't know when or if he'll be called back to work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The water started flowing in the normal direction again and the platform started moving back to the shipyards. Had to get 4 tugs to direct it to a tie down place until the shipyards are ready to get it back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
They just had a report on Foxnews about the refineries and the rising gas prices. I wasn't paying attention so that's all I can tell you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top