Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:52:42 AM EDT
I went into work today and asked my boss a question.  The question was if it was at all possible to use "military time" to go to LA and help search and rescue.   Every county employee has Vacation time, comp time, sick time, family sick time, military time etc.   I figured it wouldnt work but what the hey i'd ask anyway.  I basically asked due to the state of emergancy and martial law, is it possable for the county to let me use the 120 hrs (prolly only use like 4 days worth anyway).  Not only was the answer NO, but it was a,

"hell no what are you thinking!?!? we are short 1 dispatcher anyway so you cant even use your vacation time. other dispatchers have to take vacation so if you where to go you wouldnt have a job when you get back"

My original Idea was if the county would let me use some of the time, then I would try and get my volunteer fire dept to let us use a reserve engine to take myself and 6 other guys to help out.  Along with the dedicated engine and tools onboard, we could also stack as many MRE's as possable to hand out.  

Unfortunatly I was told I wouldnt have a job if I didnt come to work.....  wish i could do more but i cant.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
oh well....i could only go for 4 days to help anyway  My police academy starts next tuesday so  i would have to be back by then anyway.     If i was already a deputy I woulda tried to use my vacation time....  prayers for all involved down there including the rescue personell, both military, and civilian.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You'd just get looted anyway, Babe!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Those people are looking for prey, not assistance. They won't want any help until they've picked the stores clean.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
FEMA has already said "Do not come down here to try and help!" so I would heed their advice and stay away.

If you really want to help then go here.

arc.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_main&JServSessionIdr010=c6fbxkseb3.app26b

The American Red Cross is the best place to help by giving donations.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]
You should have drawn down on him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried to go to and was caught by my wife.  I'd rather her have walked in on me fucking her sister than that phone call.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The DA has sent feelers around all the states and territories looking to find out how many Guardsmen are willing to volunteer for LA duty. The catch is that they're not being mobilised, but they will be paid.

However, this then leaves open questions of employment rights, healthcare, and even whether or not it would count against their 2-years-availability for Iraq.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The DA has sent feelers around all the states and territories looking to find out how many Guardsmen are willing to volunteer for LA duty. The catch is that they're not being mobilised, but they will be paid.

However, this then leaves open questions of employment rights, healthcare, and even whether or not it would count against their 2-years-availability for Iraq.

NTM

It's being treated just like a weekend drill, only extended.  It does not have anything to do with your Iraq availibility.

As for volunteers,  I was volunteered to report to the armory in the morning.  No one has any idea where we're going, or for how long.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I can conceal a pistol in my bunker gear.......   Oh well....they have so many people comming here to houston my usefullness would probably be more accepted over here, and ALOT less hazardous to my health.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried to go to and was caught by my wife.  I'd rather her have walked in on me fucking her sister than that phone call.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can conceal a pistol in my bunker gear.......   Oh well....they have so many people comming here to houston my usefullness would probably be more accepted over here, and ALOT less hazardous to my health.

You are far too white.  Sad to say that but some of the looters would like nothing more than to steal you blind at gunpoint.  "Dat craker gots a sho fly red truk an I's gonna gets me som o dat".

Besides, we need you here in Texas.  I doubt the TSG call up will be limited to the 8th and 19th brigades.  Yes, Gov. Perry activated the Texas State Guard, most of which are MP units.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#15]
So if a preson wnt to help, in addition to donations whare could the go and what is needed? I have a couple of employees who want to tke off time to go to NO, And I admire thier spirit.  

Who so they contact??    Fullclip
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the world of "no good deed goes unpunished." or in your case even talking about doing a good deed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So if a preson wnt to help, in addition to donations whare could the go and what is needed? I have a couple of employees who want to tke off time to go to NO, And I admire thier spirit.  

Who so they contact??    Fullclip

FEMA, redcross,  check out firehouse.com for other info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top