Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:27:40 PM EDT
I am so annoyed at people that stayed after being told to leave and now are on rooftops and the copters have to go in a pluck them out.  They should be responsible for the air time and the crew expenses.  Its one thing if a natural disaster hits without warning but it someone said leave and you didnt why should we pay to get their asses out of the water?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
There were some elderly and poor that had no way out.

But if you could leave and didn't, you should pay.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you ignore an order to leave, then you should accept the responsibility (& costs) for staying behind.

Even a $500 "rescue copay" would go a long way to changing the behavior of nitwits who put rescuers at risk.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, they should pay.  I would give a free ride to anyone who can adequately justify the reason they could not evac. with the rest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you ignore an order to leave, then you should accept the responsibility (& costs) for staying behind.

Even a $500 "rescue copay" would go a long way to changing the behavior of nitwits who put rescuers at risk.

+1

I'm tired of paying for stupidity.

And these people CHOSE to stay, endangering rescuers and chewing up resources needed for REAL emergencies.

Bill 'em, Dano.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
ESPECIALLY those people with children.  They should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

M.L.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
DoD doesn't bill directly.  We work on an installement plan.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If they chose to stay after being warned then they should be left and resources that could be used to help people who want to get out won't be wasted on these fools.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ESPECIALLY those people with children.  They should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

M.L.

Huge +1 here. That is simply unaceptable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Because the USA is the richest, most powerful country in the world and we should take care of our own.  Espesially when we seem to be able to afford to send billions of dollars to foreign countries, most of whom don't appreciate that help and don't give a shit if US citizens live or die.

I say we reinstitute the Monroe doctrine, withdraw to the borders of the continental U.S., take care of our own folks and screw the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not talking the old or children. I am talking idiots that didnot listen or wanted to stay for an opportunity to get the neighbors stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]
What it should mean is sorry about your damn bad luck.  If you are stupid enough to stay hope you like dying there because we ain't coming to get you!!!  if they have to go get them, they should get a bill for the expense of the rescue just like they do for the stupid people rock climbing out west.  they should be getting a $5000.00 to 10,000.00 bill for the rescue.  I am tired of picking these dumbass people up after something like this and having them say something like "I did think it was going to this bad".

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys need to stop being assholes. These are AMERICANS who who just lost EVERYTHING! Stope bitching about a few fucking gallons of helicopter fuel!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Rappers.....

They have all this extra money for bling...put it to good use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

CRC

25% of the population of New Orleans does not drive I would like someone to explain just exactly how these people were going to get out… there is no mass transit system to get them out.

Some people need to engage their brains before popping off… it is not that simple.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You guys need to stop being assholes. These are AMERICANS who who just lost EVERYTHING! Stope bitching about a few fucking gallons of helicopter fuel!

+1

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I say we reinstitute the Monroe doctrine, withdraw to the borders of the continental U.S., take care of our own folks and screw the rest of the world.

Because that worked so well...

--

Make the stupid bastards pay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This wasn't an earthquake or tornado with 5 minutes warning.

Help those who need help, but a little cooperation (like NOT NEEDLESSLY PUTTING RESCUERS AT RISK) goes a long way.

ETA: and a HUGE +1,000,000 to the DoD who always gets the call to pick up the pieces when locals are overwhelmed (if only they would remember that at the ballot box )

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
We should all pitch in and help these oppressed peoples.

BigDozer66
j/k!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most are leaches on society who chose to stay behind when warned to leave and when it was over they started stealing everything they can get their hands on.
And don't give me the "they're poor" bullshit.  That they couldn't get out in time.  They had plenty of warning and i damn well guarantee if they announced that they were giving out free fiddy cent gangsta rappa tickets and all they had to do was get fifty miles to the station to claim them they would have found a way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

YOu need to get a clue about what a rescue really costs.

A SINGLE rescue, with manpower and equipment mobilization runs in the THOUSANDS of dollars.

NOT TO MENTION the unnecessary risk of life for the rescuers.

NOT TO MENTION the depletion of manpower for these unnecessary rescues that takes away from REAL unavoidable emergencies.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

25% of the population of New Orleans does not drive I would like someone to explain just exactly how these people were going to get out… there is no mass transit system to get them out.

Some people need to engage their brains before popping off… it is not that simple.

Senator Mary Landrieu (D)-LA said the .gov had buses there before hand to take people to Lafayette or other places AT NO CHARGE to them!

She said she could not fathom why almost 100,000 chose to stay.

There are to many organizations that would have helped if they would have asked.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

Senator Mary Landrieu (D)-LA said the .gov had buses there before hand to take people to Lafayette or other places AT NO CHARGE to them!

She said she could not fathom why almost 100,000 chose to stay.

There are to many organizations that would have helped if they would have asked.

BigDozer66

And what exactly did you expect her to say... the truth which was we could not have gotten you out even if we cared.

There was NO WAY IN HELL there were enough buses made available to get all those people out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There was NO WAY IN HELL there were enough buses made available to get all those people out.

They had enuf time to WALK to safety.

I was hearing about projected NOLA landfall THREE DAYS before it happenned.

Its was a fricken CAT5 'cane with 175 mph winds.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WALK TO WHERE.

Have you ever been to NO. What routes would these people use; they sure as hell could not go east or north across miles of bridges.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WALK TO WHERE.

Have you ever been to NO. What routes would these people use; they sure as hell could not go east or north across miles of bridges.

I've never been there, but you make an interesting point.

These people know huuricanes come thru teh Gulf EVERY year, they know THREE DAYS in advance the hurricane is coming, with a 20-30 foot storm surge, 175 mph winds, and they STAY.

Fact is you DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO to get to safety. Or maybe you don't even live there in the first place, if the place is as much of a trap as you describe.

Naaaahhh, that would require thinking and personal responsibility.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The solution is obvious.  Make the looters pay.  We can pay off the entire bill with stolen PSPs, DVD players, and car stereos.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Most times MaxMike and I have nothing in common to post,but this time I ask you own no car(like most city dwelling New Yorkers)  Just how would you evacuate????

I say that many of you would stay right where you are(maybe after sending the wife and children off)

Don't say you wouldn't!!!

They have allready paid for thier rescue by all the taxes all the FICA they have paid in!!!

It's facinating what some think others should pay for just being human!!!

Hope things go better for you down the road,can you immagine a fire truck pulling up to your house and looking to see if you have a shingle on your house  saying that you have insurance?

Well thats the way it used to be!!

These are homeowners that have paid many taxes for the right to be recovered!!

Would be a real bitch if they were all great swimmers and told rescuers to kiss my ass I'm swimming to Barbatios!!!!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top