Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:33:03 PM EDT
Off Another forum:

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 30, 2005

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - A fatal shooting at an Albuquerque Wal-Mart last week was the state's first by someone with a concealed-carry gun permit, authorities said.

Police said Felix Vigil was attacking his ex-wife with a knife near the store's deli counter where she worked when an armed customer intervened and shot him. The woman, Joyce Cordova, was treated for multiple stab wounds and later released from an Albuquerque hospital.

The armed customer, 72-year-old Due Moore, was interviewed after the shooting last Thursday and released.

Police spokeswoman Officer Trish Hoffman said it appeared the shooting was justified. However, it will be up to the district attorney to decide whether Moore, a volunteer with the police department's cold case unit, will be prosecuted.

Moore could not be reached for comment.

New Mexico allows citizens age 21 and over to carry concealed weapons if they complete firearms training and pass national and local criminal background checks.

Moore's fatal shot was the first fired by someone with a permit, according to state Department of Public Safety spokesman Peter Olson. The state has issued more than 3,100 permits since the gun law went into effect Jan. 1, 2004.

Moore took a class to get his permit just 13 days after the law went into effect, said Cody Patton, a manager at Calibre's National Shooters Sports Center in Albuquerque. That's where Moore was certified.

"He was the fourth person ever to sign up for a permit," Patton said. "I've now done more than 300 of them."

Patton said there has been a fair amount of interest in concealed-carry permits at his range _ in particular during the first four months after the law passed.

Link: tho it is down at the moment http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/31883.html

I did do a search for the following terms: Conceal, CC, Walmart, Shooting. and nothing turned up this story. Still, I hope its not a dupe :D

D-
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Caught this one off Fark too.

Good shoot. I can't believe there are people out there that think the old man committed murder here.    But there are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea,  there were some replys like "he should have waited for the police"  and things like that..

Nothing like just standing there watching someone get killed.

I agree, it was a good shoot. Dude is for sure a hero to that woman.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad a CCW holder could help.  Too bad the media will try to roast him for saving someone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yea,  there were some replys like "he should have waited for the police"  and things like that..

Nothing like just standing there watching someone get killed.

I agree, it was a good shoot. Dude is for sure a hero to that woman.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Glad a CCW holder could help.  Too bad the media will try to roast him for saving someone.

They'll just cover it up.

Here's the HA HA guy pic I did for the thread...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top