Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:15:49 AM EDT
I have a CB radio I want to put in my F150. What is the best place to tap into power? Thx.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly? Right off the battery. Don't forget to fuse the hot side. Running it through the fuse box tends to leave the radio suceptible to all sorts of interference - particuarly alternator whine and ignition pops. Every vehicle is different, but I've always run my radios right off the battery in every vehicle. The current draw is so minimal, that even leaving it on and forgetting about it shouldn't kill the battery overnight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Do alot of people still use CBs?  What kind of distance do they cover? I always thought it was mostly used by truck drivers, please excuse my ignorance on the subject.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can tap power and ground directly from the backside of your cigarette lighter socket. Easiest way to get power, fused without running to the battery.

Yeah, i just tapped into the back of my radio hot. It has its own fuse. works fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Both of my cars have an accessory bus that I've added in.  Right next to the battery is a constant duty starter solenoid that is switched by an "accessory hot" source.

Then all of my gear gets turned off when the car is shut off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to have your CB tuned with the antenna that you will use before using it though, or you could cause yourself some problems.  Most any CB shop will tune it for a minimal charge for you after you have it installed already.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be sure to have your CB tuned with the antenna that you will use before using it though, or you could cause yourself some problems.  Most any CB shop will tune it for a minimal charge for you after you have it installed already.

It may seem anal, but I've got to say it anyway: You are tuning the antenna, not the radio.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up a F-250 so I have lots of room, but I still cant find a place to put the C.B., Where are you guys mounting yours? I have been toying with the idea of getting one of those ones that has all the controls on the mic. and mounting the rest under the front seat so no one can see it, but I want a nice model with SSB and all that jazz and cant seem to find one that will fit the bill. I really only use it for Hunting with the friends, but the SSB can be fun sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may seem anal, but I've got to say it anyway: You are tuning the antenna, not the radio.

You are anal but you are correct.  You have to tune/retune the antenna anytime you change coax and/or radio.  There is always a little mismatch and its good to adjust it to channel 19, center frequency.  No radio or coax is perfect or identical.

1)  When routing the coax cable be sure it doesn't get pinched or punctured anywhere.
2)  Be sure power AND ground goes to battery.  Vehicle chassis has alot of noise on it.
3)  I always run an extra ground to the battery from the chassis of the CB and/or the antenna mount.
4)  Use 16AWG or larger stranded wire for power and grounds.

CBs are common where I live and SSB is still fairly popular.  I've talked to Ohio and Mass. no problem on good days.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Dayuuuuum! A post straight out of the '70's and I thought ar15.com only came on line around '98 or so....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Dayuuuuum! A post straight out of the '70's and I thought ar15.com only came on line around '98 or so....

Ah, 10 Roger there, JFP. My dad had a hillbilly opera house in the 'ol beachball buggy way back when, and I keep one in my 4 wheeler and at the home twenty even today. Hey man, when you've got a pumpkin in the middle of a window washer on the superslab, it's nice to know that there's a road jockey out there who'll get you a double L and some go-go juice, Rogo?

Have yourself a super fine one there JFP, and may all your ups and downs be between the sheets, 10-4? We'll catch ya on the flip-flop.

It's like white-guy Jive!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top