Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:04:46 PM EDT
I was out and about today and found I brand new Pelican 15.6 Colorado Canoe, I have been wanting a Kayak or Canoe for awhile but it was to big of an expense lately. Well the one I found today was at a discount sale, I picked it up for $199.00, new still in the packaging. The reason it was discounted is that there was a small ding in the rail, it was cosmetic only.

This being my first canoe I really need some advise on what I need to outfit it, I have two new fishing PFD's an air horn and an extinguisher. The only things that I can think I still need are paddles and a patient teacher to give me a few lessons. This canoe will only be used on slow moving lakes and streams so no big open water or white water of any type. Well hive mind  what else do I need?

Pic's to follow

<Peter Griffen voice > "Hey  Lois remember that time I won a boat  " < Peter Griffen voice >
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Canoe Gun!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Water
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
extinguisher?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Paddles, are a very important accessory for a canoe especially when you are up a shit creek.

The driver sits in the back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you ever end up taking it camping (like along a river) be sure to buy some of those waterproof bags for packing your clothes and stuff in.

I found that you can fit one normal sleeping bag (big coleman types) or two down sleeping bags into a cleaned out 10 gallon bucket.  I went to my local dounut shop and asked them for their jelly filling buckets.  They just throw em out so they gave them to me.

Canoes tip over.  It just happens.

Buy a waterballoon launcher and a turkey baster.  You can have the person at the front of the canoe hold the handles and you shoot over his head.  Pretyy good range that way.  You can even make your own out of some surgical tubing and nylon canvas.

I used to be a boyscout.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
...looks like you need to gather up a whole bunch of guns to lose in an accident.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Feverishly scribbling things down........... paddles instead of hands .......... driver sits in the back...........do not bring all of my guns only a few as canoes can tip....... good times  

But seriously I'm about 5' 8 what length should I be looking at in paddles?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Feverishly scribbling things down........... paddles instead of hands .......... driver sits in the back...........do not bring all of my guns only a few as canoes can tip....... good times  

I've got a 5.5' and a 4.5'.  Easier to steer with the longer paddle.  I bought the smaller one for my wife, but she prefers the longer paddle too.

So I would recommend 5 or 5.5' paddles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

IIRC you measure them like you do ski poles.  Hold it at the neck and sit it on the blade on the ground.  Your hand should be able to hold it comfortably by the neck at more than a 90degree angle.   My father was the steerer.  He prefered a long handle and a relatively thin blade.  I was up front and used a wide blade but a a shorter neck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Avoid trying standing up in the canoe when afloat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh!  Watersocks or really good flip flops.  These are imperative.  Otherwise you'll need to use some kind of 'wet shoe' (normally just old sneakers) but it really sucks to have to put on overnight frozen wet nikes after a brisk December night along the Colorado river.  Keep your boots in a double bagged 2gallon ziplock bags when not being worn.

2 gallon ziplocks are the best thing ever invented and they have nothing to do with food.  Carry many of these.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
extinguisher?

Eh, I had it sitting around it's one of the mini marine one's, figure I mount it with sticky tape..... ya never know
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC you measure them like you do ski poles.  Hold it at the neck and sit it on the blade on the ground.  Your hand should be able to hold it comfortably by the neck at more than a 90degree angle.   My father was the steerer.  He prefered a long handle and a relatively thin blade.  I was up front and used a wide blade but a a shorter neck.

Funny, me and my Dad used to go on canoe trips with his gun club all the time when I was growing up and I don't recall anyone having discussed paddle length.

Oh and Five Gallon buckets with lids work great for keeping your stuff dry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#14]
 My next choice would be swim fins and a farmer john wetsuit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Funny, me and my Dad used to go on canoe trips with his gun club all the time when I was growing up and I don't recall anyone having discussed paddle length.

Everything is a technical discussion with my father.  Even if he or I don't know what in the hell it is we are talking about.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Canoe Gun!

+1

45-70 or 30-30

Never know when a bear will surface and try to scoop you out of your canoe.  

Nice canoe!  I always enjoyed canoe trips as a boy.

G
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thule canoe rack
www.theadventuresource.com/istarimages/p/p-579XT!THULE.jpg

I drive a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab , already has a built in Canoe rack !It fits like a charm . Well it's just a roof rack but
since I put a canoe on it it's a canoe rack now

Quoted:
Canoe Gun!

+1

45-70 or 30-30

Never know when a bear will surface and try to scoop you out of your canoe.

I have a Marlin Mol 366 lever in 30-30 I think that would do nicely, for some reason it seems that lever actions go well with canoes, any one else think so? I'll try to post a pic of them together when It's not raining outside.

But for all intents and purposes I think my Glock 27 + 2 mags/surefire in a small otter box would be my best choice, just secure it to the seat or something

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Just remember that if the canoe tips over everthing that is in it goes in the water, Make sure it either floats or is tied in. Also like any boat a canoe will float if its full of water. So it can be a life saver if you tip it over without a PFD on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#20]
water wings and a football helmet
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]

THEM AINT ME OARS! THATS ME MUM AND HER SIS!

<RIMSHOT>
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Back in my days as a musician I was on tour over in England and saw a guy outside my hotel window going down a river in a canoe with two older ladies.

He was paddling with his hands and I hollered out the window,

USE YOUR OARS! USE YOUR OARS!

He shouted back,

THEM AINT ME OARS! THATS ME MUM AND HER SIS!

<--- spits drink

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#24]
every time I see folks paddling on the river, I keep dreaming about haveing a R/C submarine that shoots little torpedos. I can see it now, a river full of canoes burning, capsized, blown-in-half, or large parts shot off....

just beautiful....

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thule canoe rack

+1000  Love mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Paddles should typically be tall enough to come between the top of your shoulders and your nose.

A bailer is a necessity as well as a bilge sponge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Depends on whether you will be in the bow or the stern.  Generally, if paddling from the stern you want a longer paddle – about collar bone/shoulder height. If paddling from the bow, then you want one about chest height.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
How about a frickin life jacket?  

I get tired of pulling dead "really good swimmers" out of the drink.

Water JBT chiming in.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Water JBT chiming in.  

He said he has 2 fishing PFDs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Paddles should typically be tall enough to come between the top of your shoulders and your nose.

Funny, I've never seen a canoe with a bilge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Water JBT chiming in.  

Personal Floatation Device has benn mentioned
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#32]
AS it's been said, dry bags are a certain. When I go canoeing and camping on the river or lake I tie all my stuff in with dry bags and then tie a tarp over it.

Have an EXTRA paddle, in case one breaks. If you might need some back support, get a clip on seat rest.

I can't think of much else right now.

Oh, try not to use external frames backpacks with them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought a Canoe! Now What Do I need !  

An attitude

“For the truth is that I
already know as much
about my fate as I need to
know. The day will come
when I will die. So the only
matter of consequence
before me is what I will do
with my allotted time. I
Can remain on shore
paralyzed with fear, or I
can raise my sails and dip
and soar in the breeze.”

Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat.GM
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep I'm a firm beliver in FPD's, while yes, I am a "stong swimmer" , it does not mean a damn thing if I'm knocked out cold. So I understand where your comming from.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Did you get a banjo yet?

AB
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#36]
ALWAYS tie everything in the canoe, to the canoe (except for the people, and pets).

WHEN (not if) you capsize, it sucks to have to play hide and seek with your stuff as it floats downstream (you DO make sure everything will float, right?  dry bags do little good if they're on the bottom and out of reaach).

Oh, and in case you're not already aware of this trick.....when floating on spring-fed streams and rivers, you don't need a cooler to keep the beer cool.  Just throw it all in a mesh sack, tie a rope to it, and put it in the water.  It won't be ice cold (springs tend to be about 50 F) but it beats the hell out of hot beer or having to haul a cooler around.

Alternatly, coolers float.  Tie cooler to canoe, let cooler float along behind you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like everything is about covered, except you need someone to help you lift the canoe onto the rack.

Get some canoe seats, your back will thank you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, I've never seen a canoe with a bilge.

The sponge is for mopping up beer spilled in the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Did you get a banjo yet?

AB

I'm with Albob on this one.

You also need a Scout 800 to strap it onto, (be sure to get one with a dash compass).  Also, you need a bow and arrow with fishing rig, camo tarp to sleep under, and an air mattress for Bobby.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did you get a banjo yet?

AB

I'm with Albob on this one.

You also need a Scout 800 to strap it onto, (be sure to get one with a dash compass).  Also, you need a bow and arrow with fishing rig, camo tarp to sleep under, and an air mattress for Bobby.

......and a friend with a purdy mouth.

AB
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I have asked these two guys to drive my truck to the end of the river, it's about 50miles as the crow flys , heck they only charged me $20.00 can you belive that . Now I don't have to leave my new truck sitting around the levery's parking lot. What could possibly go wrong ?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll do it for $40.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Get yourself a used electric trolling motor and a marine battery.  Great for when you want to go fishing but you are too lazy to paddle your canoe.  Also really good for chasing alligators from a canoe.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I would get some waterproof bags and pack a little first aid/survival kit to keep in the canoe.

Save one of your old gallon milk jugs and cap. Clean it out and cut the bottom off it at a diagonal so that you have a scoop. This is called a bailer. Take a length of nylon rope, small, and tie the handle to the inside of your boat. Now when the boat gets water in it you can scoop out water.

Editd to add

Here are some other things I have done while canoeing.

I have used a large poll 8ft to pole in swamps. It works well in shallow swamps.

You can take a tarp, some rope and some hiking sticks to lash a mast and sail. It works good on a nice flat lake.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

BTW, I have canoed most of TX during my ten years there.  Drop me an IM letting me know where you are and I can recommend some good water.

Hey TJ, Where did you canoe in Texas? Ever run any of the upper Guadalupe?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#47]
You don't need a third floatation device in a canoe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well, if you keep your lungs full of air MOST people naturally float. Myself included.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you keep your lungs full of air MOST people naturally float. Myself included.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Some really good suggestions here so far.

A huge +1 on the canoe seats! Like stadium seats, they will be worth their weight in gold!

Another suggestion is a canoe anchor with line. Canoe's are very susceptible to wind. Try still fishing from a canoe with no anchor.

Strap everything in.

Oh, and you can sink a canoe. I've done it. You might want to add bow and stern floatation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top