Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 1:20:49 PM EDT
I'm only familiar with the out dial up via the houshold phone line.  Are there other types of conncections that use the telephone line?

What are the "high speed internet" options?

What are the "wireless" options?

The only connection type I will not consider is one that uses Cable/Cable company.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm only familiar with the out dial up via the houshold phone line.  Are there other types of conncections that use the telephone line?

The only connection type I will not consider is one that uses Cable/Cable company.

why not Cable?
its the fastest non dedcated line out there
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
DSL delivers high-speed Internet access over your existing phone line (well, sort of.) Broadband wireless is still cost-prohibitive in most areas, I think.

I have cable (RoadRunner) at home. What's your beef with cable?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
More here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why not Cable?

Certain areas have fibre optic service which WAY outperforms cable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why not Cable?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why not Cable?

Guess you haven't seen verizon offering fibre service for $29.99 a month in parts of North Texas eh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Our local utilty company offfers fiber to the curb, 6 megs, pretty fast. My connection is with cable company and is 4 Meg. I had DSL extreme, it is way over rated. Never saw any speed greater than 2.3 Meg. So I like pie, I mean I like cable modem better than DSL
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why not Cable?

Fired the cable company years ago
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DSL delivers high-speed Internet access over your existing phone line (well, sort of.)

Can anyone add to that explaination?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DSL delivers high-speed Internet access over your existing phone line (well, sort of.)

Can anyone add to that explaination?

DSL is a very high frequency signal that rides on your existing phone wires.  You add a DSL modem to take that signal and translate it to ethernet (network cabeling) and you filter the signal using plug-in modules at each phone so as to keep the phone from interfereing with the signal.  

It's distance sensitive so the further you are from a teleco central office or a remote terminal (bunker with teleco equipment in some nieghborhoods) the less speed you get.

There is or used to be less broadcast traffic and less competetion for bandwidth from other users with DSL.  With cable you often share a common pipe directly with your connected nieghbors, like a big hub.  With DSL, you are the only customer on the circuit from the teleco to your house.  Gamers are usually more sensitive to that then most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top