Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
Wife has some interest in firearms, but I dont trust her to get the job done in a life/death situation when I am not home with my semi-auto I keep in the night stand.
She doesnt feel comfortable with the shotgun either.

Something super simple and uber-reliable should fit the bill

I am thinking that the best way to go would be a simple wheel gun...maybe a small frame .38. Something I can teach her to be proficient with and not have her scared to shoot it.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
2-4 inch .38/.357 revolver steel frame, should do nicely.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a article i saw recently about this
They took out a women with very little firearms experence
gave her a shotgun, a 38 revolver and a AR15
the AR gave the best performance(hits) by far
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Lightweight M4 with a bright light attached and an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Double barrel 20 gauge
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
There are three that I think would fit the bill very well:

A pretty lightweight AR15. With light/aimpoint.

.38 revolver.

Glock 9mm. Maybe a Glock 19 with an M3 light.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A S&W or Ruger .357 loaded with +P .38's.  It will fire every time, and she's got 6 for sure, with no fumbling around with an automatic-if she's a novice.

HH
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A S&W or Ruger .357 loaded with +P .38's.  It will fire every time, and she's got 6 for sure, with no fumbling around with an automatic-if she's a novice.

HH

+1

My wife has a GP100 4" in stainless.  Stainless was a factor as black disappears in any womans' purse
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine a Glock 17. Seems to be easy enough. Point,squeeze until threat stops.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd definitely vote wheelgun over an AR.  My girlfriend isn't a regular shooter, but she likes to shoot the AR on occasion.  She forgets the basic operation, especially in relation to the charging or release of the bolt carrier.  She also hangs up on the safety occasionally.

Too many switches.  Point-and-click is much better.  A medium frame might be better too if she doesn't plan to carry it.  It'll be more forgiving of recoil, and should be nicer to practice with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I would first suggest a good shotgun, like the marine magnum, but, you already said thats out.
So, without question, i would recommend a Colt python 357

Light recoil, you can shoot it with one hand, powerful, reliable, looks mean.

Only draw back, its pricey.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Pistol caliber carbine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Snubby won't give enough barrel to keep a grabbers hand safe if discharged during the grab.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife has an S&W .357 loaded with PMC Starfire .38s.  After shooting my competition Glock, however, she now wants a Glock 22.

If you boil it down, the best weapon is the one that your wife is comfortable with, has confidence in, and can deploy quickly and accurately.  Maybe take her to an indoor range and let her try several different guns.

Oh, and don't be surprised if her gun "habit" gets as bad or worse than yours!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Scattergun will do better under stress.  You dont need pin point accuracy to hit a target.  The recoil will be the only problem.  Also arguments about semi vs pump.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you boil it down, the best weapon is the one that your wife is comfortable with, has confidence in, and can deploy quickly and accurately.  Maybe take her to an indoor range and let her try several different guns.

That is really all that needs be said!  Don't even try to pick one for her, let her pick one she is comfortable with!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

+1

My wife has a GP100 4" in stainless.  Stainless was a factor as black disappears in any womans' purse

+1. Ruger GP100 4" suited my wife better than anything else I had her try - Sig, Glock, Beretta, HK, S&W, Kimber, Kahr, Springfield. The GP100's grip she instinctively held correctly, it is point and shoot, and she's damn good with the thing at the range.

Search for the limited run "Target Grey" stainless ones on GunBroker etc. My wife and I both though it was nicer looking than the regular stainless or the blue. Nice, semi-matte low reflective finish.

That said, the Rossi 2" 38/357 with their rubber combat grips actually feel pretty nice, and they're inexpensive enough that you won't feel you are tying up a lot of cash in a gun that isn't your favorite if it turns out to suit her. But I'd rather have a 4" for pointability and the increase in muzzle velocity, particularly with 38/38+p defensive loads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 Get her K comp. I loved it as well. I
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If she's not comfortable with a semi, I vote revolver.  I have my S&W .357 as my 'oh shit' gun.  Don't have to worry about racking a slide, just point and shoot.  

+1

Keep it simple if she is not "into" guns.  S&W .38 snubby with hollow points will do well too. Easy to shoot, relatively easy to control.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is really all that needs be said!  Don't even try to pick one for her, let her pick one she is comfortable with!

I can't repeat that advice enough!

Take your wife to a range that "rents" or has demonstration weapons.  Let her handle and shoot as many guns as you can get her to shoot.  The one that meets the above criteria is the one to get.  Remember that it doesn't have to be a handgun.  

Things to consider trying out:  Pistol Grip Mossberg 500 in .410.  Winchester 94 in .357 magnum.  Ruger Police Carbine in .40SW.  If you can find one a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm or .45.  The Beretta "space gun"...not sure what its called.

Clint Smith the director of Thunder Ranch vehemently states that handguns are "stupid" weapons to fight with and if you have to fight with a handgun, it had better be fight that leads you to your rifle or shotgun.

I've instructed dozens of folks in pistol marskmanship and defensive pistol tactics.  Handguns are difficult to shoot and often intimidating to the shooter.  Many purchase a "small" handgun for a woman which can be a  mistake because often times small package means large recoil.  Better to find a fullsize gun and customize it with reduced grips etc.  For example:  Smith and Wesson 686 with miculek grips or another reduced size grip.  It will fit her hand but the pistol will absorb most of the recoil especially if shot with .38 Special loads.  Many +P+ loads are more than adequate as long as the shots are placed accurately...but that can be said for any caliber.

Good luck...happy shopping.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If she's not comfortable with a semi, I vote revolver.  I have my S&W .357 as my 'oh shit' gun.  Don't have to worry about racking a slide, just point and shoot.  

+1

Keep it simple if she is not "into" guns.  S&W .38 snubby with hollow points will do well too. Easy to shoot, relatively easy to control.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the snubby portion, if it is for home defense, a 4" K or similar sized .38 would be much more suited than a 2" J frame, or 2" anything.  S&W "snubbies" are not real easy for all to shoot well, and if purely for home defense, why not add the benefit of a longer sight radius and a little more heft to help control recoil for a faster follow up shot?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Id lean heavily toward a Kahr K9 in stainless.  Shes going to shoot it a lot better than a snubbie.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock 17
Surefire X200
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Whatever it is, make sure if it's a Semi, that she can rack the slide.

When I was looking for my wife (an easily intimidated small girl, and not very interested in shooting unfortunately) I pointed out probably 4 or 5 for her to "try" - Kahr, Glock, SIG and one other I can't remember now. The Kahr had a horrendous slide pull, she couldn't do it. Of the remainders, the SIG felt best in her hand and she could rack the slide on it. So that's what we got.

Now I just gotta get her to the range with it so she knows what it feels like when it goes "bang".
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm always amazed at the amount of bad advice you will get when asking this question.

I have trained a lot of "non-gunney" women to shoot.

Get her a .38 Special revolver.

When a non-gunney woman is scared and in the dark, she will not remember how to operate safeties, rack slides, insert mags, or any of that other stuff.

But with a revolver, all she has to do is point and pull the trigger.

If she wants to train enough to operate more complicated systems, fine.

But if not, then a .38 Special wheel gun is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
When a non-gunney woman is scared and in the dark, she will not remember how to operate safeties, rack slides, insert mags, or any of that other stuff.

sounds like you're describing a Glock

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife has a really nice Taurus Revolver in 38 Special.  I think the barel is about 1.5-inches and it's blued steel....  It was a rather cheap little revolver but it shoots like a champ and it is ultra reliable and the smallest handgun we own...  Hell, I carry it more then my wife does as she doesn't carry much although she does have the permit.....

Her 38 is a M85 and looks like the following....

She had a Glock 17 as well (it was really mine - honest) but I ended up trading that for a metal lathe...  She didn't like the Glock anywhere near as well and the 38 just shoots MUCH more accurately....  and it is much easier to carry as well...

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Let her try several different types and calibers of guns and decide for herself what she likes best.  If she actually likes her gun, she is more likely to practice, carry, use it and stay proficient with it.  I am not any kind of instructor, just a cop and a serious student.  Oh, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.  An instructor that I know rather well seems to have the notion that no woman should carry a larger caliber than a 9mm, and is constantly telling me that my Glock 22 duty weapon is the wrong gun for me.  His answer to everything is the Glock 19.  Well, I have one of those too, and it is my favorite "range" handgun.  If she would rather have a long gun, consider maybe a 20 guage youth model?

Get her into a class.  Whether she chooses a revolver, a semi auto, or a long gun, she needs to be able and willing to use it if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds like you're describing a Glock

Good point.

If you were determined to have a semi-auto, then a Glock would be a good choice.

But it would have to be loaded, with one in the chamber.

And, you had better pray that it doesn't jam, because a non-gunney lady isn't going to remember how to do a clearance drill.

Revolvers seldom jam.  That's not a big factor for those of us that are well-trained in the use of a semi-auto, but it is a big factor for the non-gunney.

If a lady is determined to use a semi-auto, go to this site and look under "Educational Stuff" and see #1 - Performing a Systems Check and #2 - The Dreaded Double Feed.

www.theboxotruth.com/index.htm

Have her practice these drills over and over until she can do them under stress.

BTW, not many non-gunney ladies are willing to practice that much.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm detailed with finding a .30 HAMMERLESS for a neighbor who is NOT a gun person.

I think along wheelgun lines.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#32]
ruger security six stainless w 4 in barrel 357, loaded with 6 +p .38
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Another vote for the Ruger SP100. I took my wife to a nice indoor range and we rented everything they had - Sig, Beretta, SA 1911, Keltec, S&W revolvers, on and on. That one fit her like a glove. She shot it the best, and liked it so much she's still begging me to buy one for her.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
m1 carbine.............this is what my wife uses.

+1

Years ago, before my wife got "into" guns, that was her bedroom gun.  More power/less recoil than your average handgun, simple for a novice to operate and shoot well, etc.  You/she could do a lot worse IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got my non gunny wife an 870 to use for our bedroom gun.  We went out, shot it, did some loading drills, etc.  She also shot my Kimber .45.  Yesterday she told me she would rather have a pistol with some Crimson grips for the bedroom gun.  I fell in Love with her all over again.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Small or medium frame (depending on how big her hand is) .38 special with a 2-3 inch barrel and laser sight.  Load it with standard velocity ammo; 110 grain Winchester silvertip or 125 grain Federal nyclad if you can find it.    

Why not +p or .357?   Low recoil and accurate shot placement is better than big boom, big flash and a shot that goes into the ceiling because of a flinch.  But,  YMMV....

This is what my wife, who supports gun ownership but has absolutely no interest in recreational shooting, is willing to use and practice with on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#37]
12 ga. loaded with tactical BB
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I chose the Taurus .38 for my wife.  It is the ultra light, 7 shot version.  She wanted a semi auto.  I rarely put my foot down when she really wants something, but I did so in that case.  I did not have confidence that my wife could clear a stove pipe, ftf,fte, or other common semi auto probs.  I loaded that revolver with the +p's and told her to point and shoot.  If it does not fire, keep pulling the trigger.

ssr
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I chose the Taurus .38 for my wife.  It is the ultra light, 7 shot version.  She wanted a semi auto.  I rarely put my foot down when she really wants something, but I did so in that case.  I did not have confidence that my wife could clear a stove pipe, ftf,fte, or other common semi auto probs.  I loaded that revolver with the +p's and told her to point and shoot.  If it does not fire, keep pulling the trigger.

ssr

Smart move, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm always amazed at the amount of bad advice you will get when asking this question.

I have trained a lot of "non-gunney" women to shoot.

Get her a .38 Special revolver.

If she wants to train enough to operate more complicated systems, fine.

But if not, then a .38 Special wheel gun is the way to go.

Excellent points O_P.

In my case, I originally had picked a revolver out for her but she didn't want one. She wanted a Semi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top