Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:25 PM EDT
With lead being the out thing in the fishing world now that tunsgen is here, I was thinking about different materials for bullets? How would tunsgen preform in place of lead since its smaller at the same weight and that would mean that a 230g lead bullet would be bigger then the tunsgen one.
What about them copper bullets by taurus and other materials that you might think of? i.e titanium? Just for thought.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Tunsgen is out as I belive that would classify as AP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it would armor piercing or something... harder metals would go through more things, remember lead is fairly soft.. The cost of titanium would make bullets impractical for anything other than a special application (like AP).
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that a handgun round with a tungsten core or any other "hard" metal core is considered AP by the ATF and therefore illegal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Titanium is also far too light to use as a bullet material.  The military is working on 'green ammo', which is a tungsten/nylon composite that performs as well as lead, ballistics wise, all without lead to poison the environment.  Never mind the fact that A: It'll be far more expensive to produce than lead, and B: it may well have worse environmental effects than lead, and causes tumors the size of garlic cloves in rats within a month.

The trick to finding a replacement for lead is finding an inexpensive material with a similar density and malleability as lead.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]

The trick to finding a replacement for lead is finding an inexpensive material with a similar density and malleability as lead.

gold
Matt
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

gold
Matt

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Tungsten is also classified as friggin expensive .  Go try to buy some, call your welding supply store and ask for TIG welding tungstens of whatever bullet caliber you want.  You would be at $40-100/shot.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
They had to take the lead out of fishing weights because some "scientific study" found that a bream swallowed a lead weight and didn't feel good for a day or two.  Also, they found that ducks that survived multiple shotgun blasts would sometimes immediately dive into the water to eat the lead.  The thought it would make them float more upright or something.  Stupid ducks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They had to take the lead out of fishing weights because some "scientific study" found that a bream swallowed a lead weight and didn't feel good for a day or two.  Also, they found that ducks that survived multiple shotgun blasts would sometimes immediately dive into the water to eat the lead.  The thought it would make them float more upright or something.  Stupid ducks!

Darn Scientists!

Fewer Scientists!  More Blue Collar and Hands-On Engineers!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Well more ducks are floating perfectly upright now.  You can't argue with science!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top