Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:20:42 AM EDT
I am finding that my current job does not offer me a lot of job satisfaction. I am tired of being a "lowly" Range technician with the USDA-ARS with zero publication opportunities as first author and a second class citizen compared to the high and mighty elitist "Range Scientists". I could be making a lot more money in a different agency with the same education (M.S.) I have already reached my salary cap (GS-9) and I have friends from my same graduating class who enjoy their jobs and make a GS-11 salary. I have tried to move out of the ARS but the Range Technician series 0455 does not transfer well to other agencies (especially in the Midwest where I want to move my family). I realize that if you read this post you may get the impression that I am complaining about the money. But it is more than just money, I don't feel like I have made a difference at the end of my day. I want a job that I can be proud of and really feel like I made a difference some how. I have considered taking my eight years of firefighting experience and signing on with a full time fire department. I have thought about trying for my educator's certificate and become a High School Science teacher (I know that the school system is seriously short on qualified science/biology instructors). But I just don't know if I can supprt my family off teacher's wages. I feel like I am at a crossroads at only 31 years of age and not sure which direction to go....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Makes sense. Take a look around, won't hurt anything. I've never had to ASK for a raise, the couple of times it wasn't forthcoming, I just took a look around and went to a company that WOULD appreciate me appropriately. IF I HAVE to ask for a raise either I'm not happy, therefore it is affecting my performance, and my bosses' do not think I deserve a raise (justifiably to a certain extent) so I need a change OR they are not appreciating my skills so I need to make a change. (Or possibly they CANNOT AFFORD to give me a raise, which is also a call for a change

People NEED (IMHO) to be HAPPY w/their job. They spend nearly 1/3 (at least) of their LIFE there, and if you are unhappy 1/3 of your life... well, that just sucks. And it can negatively impact many other areas of your life.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. Hopefully I do find "my calling" .....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you. Hopefully I do find "my calling" .....

Hopefully. It took 20+ years, and a dibilitating illness, but I should be starting school for what My "true calling" is / was supposed to be. (Going back to school at nearly 40 years old.... )

I LOVED what I USED to do, but am not able to return to it, I think what I'm studying is probably what I was "supposed" to do though. So just as well, I guess.

Good luck. You have to be happy at what you do. That saying is true, I think, "do what you love and the $ will follow".
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't give any advice (I know nothing about your field), but I do feel for ya dude!  

I think it probably is time to look around.  The nice thing, though, is that you have a job right now.   This makes job switching much easier, and (paradoxically) makes you much more attractive to other employers.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Not what you might consider, but mining is red hot right now.  Very hands on, but underground mining is a young man's job.  The contract miner's bonuses are very near what my decent hourly wage is, and their hourly wage blew mine away.

The salary offers I've seen lately in my feild are very good as well, even for someone green as grass.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now I am really leaning towards firefighting. I have been a volunteer FF since 2001 and would like to make the move into a full time professional vocation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Right now I am really leaning towards firefighting. I have been a volunteer FF since 2001 and would like to make the move into a full time professional vocation.

That's cool. I wish you were in Central Ohio, I'd see to it you got hooked up w/ and OLD pal of mine, he's a big-wig in the Columbus FD. He's a REALLY good guy, he and dad were in the OSHP (Ohio State Highway Patrol) when I was a rug rat, he and "Brownie" would come over about every Sunday for "sunday dinner", as they were both bachelors back then and really appreciated mom's cooking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I would love to re-locate my family to the Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky area. My wife was born and raised in Indiana. I really like the area and the people are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I have NO idea if Columbus is "in need" of any FD guys... but if you start to SERIOUSLY look at that as a possibility, and choose Central Ohio, drop me an IM, and I'll put out some feelers see what the "mood" is. Is the job you are doing now one that you could locate to a branch/division here?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, I have NO idea if Columbus is "in need" of any FD guys... but if you start to SERIOUSLY look at that as a possibility, and choose Central Ohio, drop me an IM, and I'll put out some feelers see what the "mood" is. Is the job you are doing now one that you could locate to a branch/division here?

Maybe I could relocate. I need to talk with my project leader. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I could relocate. I need to talk with my project leader. Thanks for your help!

Anytime. IM me if needed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anytime. IM me if needed.

This is why I love visiting here with all of you.
Someone here needs a little help, and writes down a little about what is going on in their life, and in come the offers for help, contacts, prayers, or whatever someone can offer to help.

I keeps Me thinking that, as a country/people, we just can't be beat.

Why can't the rest of the Country/world work as well as We can together?

I'm damn Proud to live in the same place as You guys!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Err--

Could you elucidate your reason for leaving Oregon for the Midwest?  I can only assume that it is family related.   I spent some months in Ohio, and my family is from Iowa, and while they are both lovely states with many good things, they do not stack up particularly well to Oregon, least of all in terms of public land.

If you want to remain in the Federal Racket, what about the NRCS (national resource conservation service).  It seemed like about 2 years ago, they were hiring left and right though that may have died out.

I am transferring from USFS to DOE at the end of the month.  Go from killing trees in Alaska to killing salmon for the hydroelectric boys in Oregon.  

That is the problem with some of the fed jobs.  With the relatively cushy nature of the slots, the chances for stress-induced turnover is reduced compared to private industry, where it is occasionally the last guy standing who gets the promotion.

Would it be possible to jump from the tech to professional slot.  At the same GS level if necessary.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, I would suggest that working for a large governmental bureaucracy is not likely to leave you with a tremendous feeling of accomplishment every day.  If you superiors act like schmucks, you are going to feel like a schmuck.

The only reason why I find my current position tolerable despite the wussy no-can do attitude of my agency as a whole is:

the excellent people I have as immediate supervisors and co workers.

If I had to deal with the -ist (hydrologists, soil scientists, fuckologists) on a regular basis, I would be a very angry camper as they are generally neurotic and incapable of performing their jobs in a credible, objective and professional manner.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I would love to find another job also. It seems the airline business isn't working out for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also, I would suggest that working for a large governmental bureaucracy is not likely to leave you with a tremendous feeling of accomplishment every day.  If you superiors act like schmucks, you are going to feel like a schmuck.

The only reason why I find my current position tolerable despite the wussy no-can do attitude of my agency as a whole is:

the excellent people I have as immediate supervisors and co workers.

If I had to deal with the -ist (hydrologists, soil scientists, fuckologists) on a regular basis, I would be a very angry camper as they are generally neurotic and incapable of performing their jobs in a credible, objective and professional manner.  

About hydrologists - we had several out here over the years, and with those guys a professional judgement regarding groundwater flows is like arguing religion.  I.E., you can't see it or touch it, and you can only tell what happens after it is too late.

This was one of the most interesting shouting matches I've heard about, other than the contract engineer who got thrown off the porch after he said he could not be replaced.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Err--

Could you elucidate your reason for leaving Oregon for the Midwest?  I can only assume that it is family related.   I spent some months in Ohio, and my family is from Iowa, and while they are both lovely states with many good things, they do not stack up particularly well to Oregon, least of all in terms of public land.

If you want to remain in the Federal Racket, what about the NRCS (national resource conservation service).  It seemed like about 2 years ago, they were hiring left and right though that may have died out.

I am transferring from USFS to DOE at the end of the month.  Go from killing trees in Alaska to killing salmon for the hydroelectric boys in Oregon.  

That is the problem with some of the fed jobs.  With the relatively cushy nature of the slots, the chances for stress-induced turnover is reduced compared to private industry, where it is occasionally the last guy standing who gets the promotion.

Would it be possible to jump from the tech to professional slot.  At the same GS level if necessary.

I agree with a lot of what you said. My move from Oregon to the Midwest is desirable based on these points:

1. My wife's family is in Indy. She was never that close to my own family and her last pregnancy was difficult enough that we need more help from her family. My dad's alcoholism is really starting to be a problem (one DUII is not enough). My mom is becoming more and more liberal every day.

2. Oregon is a LIBERAL state that is very difficult to live in if you believe otherwise. I have lived here my entire life and it is getting worse every day.

3. The rate of living is lower in the midwest (especially housing, food, and fuel) and I am tired of being able to only afford rent.

4. I have been in Oregon long enough that I want to live some where different.

5. The people are better (kinder, more generous, and more sympathetic of Catholicism) in the midwest.

6. There are fewer Californians in the midwest than in Oregon .

I would prefer to stay in the federal system (established retirement, benefits, etc..) but in the USDA-ARS I must have a phd to advance from technician to professional. I have considered the NRCS and have applied for a few jobs with them but have found the competition to be steep and a lot of interdepartment promotions fill the open vacancies. But, I will still apply for a NRCS position today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top