Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:14:59 PM EDT
My future FIL was in a motorcycle accident Sun night. Among other injuries he took a pretty good bump on the head(wearing helmet).  Scans showed some blood on his brain, but the Brain Doc said he belives it will absorb and not require surgery.
Mon and Tues of this week he(FIL) seemed OK and was responsive and seemed to have no memory loss, Other than the accident itself. He was a little out of it but is on a pretty good dose of Drugs.
Today he seems a lot worse, Disorented, and dozing in and out. I didnt/couldnt talk to the main head Doc but the nurses said this is normal for a head injury.

Is this true? what kind of time frame should it take to see improvement in his head injury. Any other advise?
.......................Udog
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Paging ARDOC....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Problem is he's on pain meds and that can mask other symptoms.
As long as he wakes up fine and doesn't seem to be getting any worse, just keep an eye on him.
If he gets sudden nausea,  vomiting, or you just aren't comfortable about something, go to the ER.
The docs would have kept him unless they were very sure he was ok to go. Of course, that's not 100% , but what is.

ETA: I'm not a doctor, but I've made a living taking care of thier patients, following their orders, and putting up with their crap  for 11 years!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
not a doc but used to be a paramedic.

what you descibe is normal for a head injury. it is also normal for a head injury that is getting worse <still bleeding> keep an eye on him and if he continues to get worse get him to the er asap.

He hasnt left he Hospital yet,.. was in the ICU untill today. They're doing Scans every 24hrs. Im not complaining on that, Its just a bit disconserting.  Did I mention he's 70yrs old ex Marine. Tough SOB.
He also sustained 5 busted ribs and a broken Scapula(Sp?) which colapsed his right lung, plus your assorted cuts scrapes and bruises.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a doc (was an EMT), but 2 above posts are good ones.

ETA. The hospital is probably keeping a good eye on him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top