Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:55:32 PM EDT
My brother just bought a miniature pinscher for 300 bucks.  I feel that if you want a dog you oughta go to the pound or pick up a stray.  What do you all say?  

Pay for a bottlenecked bloodline/ gene pool  OR save a mutt and screw selective breeding?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what you want.   If you can find what you want at a rescue or a pound, I think you should get it there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't have to go the pound.

People keep dumping animals near me and I keep picking them up.

Good dogs too.  Very protective.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
He said he wanted a small dog that would be comfortable in his apartment and that a min-pin would be ideal.

I say
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Animal shelter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want something purebred of course you have to buy from a breeder.  Pound pets are typically mixed breeds, which tend to be more robust (fewer health problems in the long run).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
animal shelter first then buy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Took in a feral stray.  He was a wild savage at first but settled down.
Some vet bills in the beginning.

He appreciates the rescue though and he is a very loving pet.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is how I've done it with every dog i've ever owned...they've always been better than a purebred with: enlarged hearts/ heads, back problems, hip displaysia (especially common in labs), early onset of arthritis, etc. etc.)

And as you said...very protective of their home and owner.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
animal shelter first then buy.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Never once paid for a companion.  In fact, my current girl came with a kennel crate, two dishes, a bed, collar, and a chew toy.

Got a pretty good deal on my dog too
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You would think the pound would be a great source for Boa food...

But people still buy it from the pet store.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He said he wanted a small dog that would be comfortable in his apartment and that a min-pin would be ideal.

I say

My buddy here has one in a three bedroom house and that little bastard is still bouncing off the walls.  It craps and pisses everywhere.  They seem to be just far too high-strung, especially for an apartment.  

Get a cat from the pound.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't have to go the pound.

Good dogs too.  Very protective.

+1 , never bought a dog in my life , way too many needing a good home for free
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a MinPin that we got from a rescue.  I didn't want this dog, but I've really grown to like her.  

R.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We have a MinPin that we got from a rescue.  I didn't want this dog, but I've really grown to like her.  

R.

SHEISLEGEND had a mini-dachshund when I met her.  He was from a rescue/shelter.  I didn't like him but I can't help it, he won me over.  He is a very affectionate, lovable dog.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
WWW.petfinder.com

For those unfamiliar, this site gets all the nation's pounds and shelters together and makes it really easy to pick a pet...many of whom face the chamber. In most cases they bring the animal to you (we drove to Yarmouth MA to get her, roughly an hour and a half away) I paid 225.00 for a 6 month old Doxie/Shepherd pup who came with all her shots and was spayed (so the cost is nullified.)

We love Bourbon (hey, what else would you name a "blend" who came from Kentucky?)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Both were rescue and are the best dogs I've ever had:

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My current dog I got from a well respected breeder, specializing in family and field trial dogs (Labradors). Our last dog came from the animal shelter and had a lifetime of psychological problems and destructive behavior (couldn't be left alone, was terrified of loud noises, separation anxiety and so on). He was a good dog, but after having dealt with that for years, it was time to try something different. Having the opportunity to raise your dog from a puppy (we have pictures of him at the age of 5 weeks old, with all of his littermates) was a fantastic experience for me and my family, and we have an extremely well tempered pet that we can comfortably leave alone at home without worrying about coming home to a door jamb clawed out, or the carpet shredded into a million pieces.

I do believe that adopting from the shelter is a good idea, but you do have to beware of the risks involved since most of the animals carry a history of abuse and bad habits from the previous owners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32917

Those are good lookin' dogs.
Playmore's "blend" is as well..

ARFCOMMERS seem to agree with my stance.  I think buying a companion is the biggest damn waste of money...not to mention it only reinforces breeders to continue to ply their trade at the cost of many perfectly good dog's lives.

The family across the street just purchased a black lab female "Dottie".  They've had her two and a half weeks and are ready to "get rid of her".  This kind of behavior just pisses me off to no end.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#20]

The family across the street just purchased a black lab female "Dottie". They've had her two and a half weeks and are ready to "get rid of her". This kind of behavior just pisses me off to no end.

In addition to parenting tests, some people need dog care tests.  You fail - no dog.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32917

Those are good lookin' dogs.
Playmore's "blend" is as well..

ARFCOMMERS seem to agree with my stance.  I think buying a companion is the biggest damn waste of money...not to mention it only reinforces breeders to continue to ply their trade at the cost of many perfectly good dog's lives.

The family across the street just purchased a black lab female "Dottie".  They've had her two and a half weeks and are ready to "get rid of her".  This kind of behavior just pisses me off to no end.

Bourbon thanks you!
Yeah...good thing about petfinder is you learn about the dog's quirks...it's not foolproof, but at least it's something. They always have pounds in your are with dogs listed (my area tends to have alot of Rotties and Pit Bulls and before anyone slams me: I have 2 small children...I wanted a dog under 30 pounds...)
Anyway...they usually (depending on the final pound that releases the animal...mine came from the aforementioned Yarmouth ASPCA affiliate) ask that if you have a change of heart, to return the dog to THEM so no info is lost and it does not get lost in the system...you do NOT however get your $ back!

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
If i could get my hunting dogs as puppies for free I would not pay for them.

If i could get my cow dogs as puppies for free I would not pay for them.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I pay $5 a sack at the pound every month.

More if I have guests .

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I way $5 a sack at the pound every month.

More if I have guests .

Sgat1r5

lol...right.

way=weigh?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people purchase their dogs for the "wow" and exclusivity factor.  I've got two mutts right now that don't look like anything else that has ever been seen before..I feel uhh kind of exclusive when people stare at 'em.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Pay the dough, get a well bred pup with guarantees from a reputable dealer. Get the results of the "personality" test for the puppy also.

The cost of a well bred dog is pretty insignificant compared to the medical, dental, shots, neutering, etc.... that the dog is gonna rack up anyway so you might as well have a good dog.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
All of the critters my family has ever had, save our GSD (who is a great dog, even though she's nutty as a fruitcake) were strays, or came from the pound.  Most of them were great, healthy animals.  Our Husky/shepherd (perhaps /wolf as well...yellow in the eyes) lived 14 years and bit my mother when the doctor put her down.  Our Aussie/border collie mix lived to be 16, through multiple, brain altering strokes.

Always check animal shelters if you're in need of a new pet, there are some very good ones to be found.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pay the dough, get a well bred pup with guarantees from a reputable dealer. Get the results of the "personality" test for the puppy also.

The cost of a well bred dog is pretty insignificant compared to the medical, dental, shots, neutering, etc.... that the dog is gonna rack up anyway so you might as well have a good dog.

+1 Key point here is 'reputable dealer'. Hard to find these days. I go more for intelligence than blood lines and pedigree. By looking at the parents to see if they appear attentive and intelligent, you can get a good feel for how the put will mature. When I get a dog, it's a 10 to 15 year long term investment so I want to get a good handle on what I'm getting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
pound, save a life
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
pound, save a life

Don't forget animal rescue groups. Our three Dobies came from rescue and are great companions.
These dogs are owner turn-ins and rescued from shelters too. They are always healthy, housetrained and eager to be in a good home. And rescue groups won't adopt out dogs to you unless they approve your home and the family the dogs are going into.

Check out our rescue group...HADR
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Two Pound Cats here....Ivan and Bob.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had fourteen dogs over the years.
My experience has run the gamut.
It has included a five thousand dollar
english setter, two purebred labs that were destined for
duty as guide dogs for the blind, a super intelligent standard poodle, a boxer,
and many mixed breeds.

The smartest dog, by far, was the poodle, bought from a breeder.

That said, I would heartily recommend a rescue or pound dog; (not just  a puppy).

Search the shelter. You will eventually come across one that will melt your heart...and it really is
about love and companionship.

My best buddy now is a dog that wandered into my heart as a stray almost exactly one year
ago. Coincidently, today she graduated from obedience school. Not even the vet can say what
her genetic background is; but she is loving, loyal, and a lot of fun to be around.

Sometimes we overestimate the importance of bloodline; or at least that has been my experience.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Neither...they always seem to wander up to the house.  I've had cats that ran up in front of me in the Taco Bell drive through, dogs give birth on the porch, cats born in a truck in my Grandmother's back yard, etc.  Our pets just seem to "happen".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy only from breeders with AKC papers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I wont go to a pound for a dog, but definately for a cat.

I only have ever bought one dog so far, but when he is gone, I am going to buy another.  I have a thing for pure-bred AKC registered chocolate labs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I wont go to a pound for a dog, but definately for a cat.

I only have ever bought one dog so far, but when he is gone, I am going to buy another.  I have a thing for pure-bred AKC registered chocolate labs.

We have those at the shelter frequently. Just last week we had a year old english bulldog turned in (payed $2000 for him a year ago) and an armenian gamper (folks payed $5000 for 6 months ago). Its unfortunate that pets have become disposable in our society.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Pound only.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I seem to collect strays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top