Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:44:34 AM EDT
I had read this book a good few years ago, and recall rather enjoying it. So I finally picked up the movie yesterday.

It really is very good. And that's saying something considering a third of it is in Russian with no subtitles!

What struck me most though was in the special features, the producer is saying "Well, I went to the Navy, and asked for a submarine. They said 'no', it's a silly premise could never happen. I said how about that sub that sailed in to San Francisco a few months back with a medical emergency? They went 'umm....irrelevant' and still denied the use of a sub. So I went to the Russians, and asked them if they wouldn't mind lending me a submarine and a few actors. To my surprise, they said 'yes'. Unfortunately, when I told the US Navy that I'd be using a Russian sub, they threw a fit and said they'd not allow one within 12 miles of the coast. So we had to build our own"

Considering the tensions of the time, can you imagine going to the Soviets and asking for a loan of a sub to make a movie?

Oh well... For those who've never heard of it, the movie's out there, and only set me back $10 or so.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
[ivan]Emergency, emergency!  Everyone to get from street![/ivan]

www.imdb.com/title/tt0060921/

G
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
[ivan]Emergency, emergency!  Everyone to get from street![/ivan]

www.imdb.com/title/tt0060921/

G

www.imdb.com/title/tt0060921/trivia

Unable to borrow a real submarine from the US Navy, and unable to bring a Soviet submarine to the United States, the art department built the Russian sub. It is powered by four motors underneath the hull, each driving a section of the "sub", and if you watch carefully, you can see it flexing where the four sections are joined.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for later
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Funny movie considering the time (1966) it was made.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember seeing this movie on TV, back in the late '70s.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched that over at a buddies house, his mom rented it from the library...

Digital
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top