Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:29:55 AM EDT
City of El Paso: Minutemen not welcome

L PASO, TX. - Another chapter in the controversial story of the Minutemen was written Tuesday by the City Council. By a 7-to-1 vote, Council members approved a resolution that effectively says, "The Minutemen are Not Welcome in El Paso."

Representative Eddie Holguin proposed a resolution saying the controversial border watch group is not welcome in the Sun City. Only one Council member, Alexandro Lozano, didn't vote for the resolution.

The Minutemen were in El Paso last week, recruiting and training some locals to be a part of the Civilian Border Patrol group.

According to Chris Simcox, the group acts as an auxiliary to Border Patrol agents, simply reporting sightings of people trying to cross illegally into the US to them.

Critics say the group is "racist" and patrolling the border should be "left to trained federal agents."

For more information regarding the city or the Minutemen, click on the links provided.

Below is the text of the City's Resolution.

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its people share a long and common cultural, economic, and social history with Ciudad Juarez, the State of Chihuahua, and the Country of Mexico; and

WHEREAS: The future prosperity and global competitiveness of the El Paso and Cuidad Juarez border region will depend on a spirit of cooperation and good-will; and

WHEREAS: The citizens of the great City of El Paso, Texas want to ensure safe, legal passage of immigrants and visitors to our city and country; and

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its elected officials fully support duly authorized law enforcement officials in enforcing the rule of law concerning immigration regulations; and

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its elected officials firmly reject civilian attempts to enforce immigration law;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF EL PASO: That the City of El Paso strongly opposes the establishment of any "Minutemen" installments, or affiliated groups, in the City of El Paso.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not a law, fuck em.  Keep the goddamn illegals where they belong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
WAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, what good does passing the "resolutions" do?  Its kinda like the UN agreeing to write an angry letter.  As far as I can tell, it accomplishes nothing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You should watch the City Council meetings.  

It's a battle between sixth graders that ride the short bus.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Texans
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Texans

how many on that board are of anglo decent??
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Exactly.  It's still the USA and a free country (except if you're a white christian male).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
El Paso is a dump. Give it back to Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Umm Duh!

That place is more "third world" than Mexico City.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Umm Duh!

It should be renamed "Texico"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm Duh!

More like Teximala.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF EL PASO: That the City of El Paso strongly opposes the establishment of any "Minutemen" installments, or affiliated groups, in the City of El Paso.

what does the texas constitution say about raising a militia? i'm assuming this would be some sort of violation of that, though i doubt the political blinders will ever come off...

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm Duh!

More like Teximala.

Me gusta
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what does the texas constitution say about raising a militia?

same thing it says about same sex marriage and a few other perverse, but generally accepted social practices down there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]

WHEREAS: The citizens of the great City of El Paso, Texas want to ensure safe, legal passage of immigrants and visitors to our city and country; and

There it is! The MOST disingenuous thing I have EVER read!

Just because you live in America and are an American citizen holding public office does NOT make you an American. I say we deport the city council.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

not just a dump, a friggin cesspool of shit!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]

This is the objective of Mexico..  take over by getting the masses in public office..  
They are stealing america back the easy way and we are allowing it to happen...

I am as far conservative as one can get but, Wake up Mr Bush and smell the roses
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: EL PASO, TX. - Another chapter in the controversial story of the Minutemen was written Tuesday by the City Council. By a 7-to-1 vote, Council members approved a resolution that effectively says, "The Minutemen are Not Welcome in El Paso."
El Paso stinks, literally. They don't have any major petrochemical industry but it still smells!  Not to worry though, there are lots of US Military personnel in the area in case we need to do a Thunder Run across the border.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texans

how many on that board are of anglo decent??

According to the article, the one who didn't vote for it was named Alexandro Lozano, which I'm fairly sure isn't Anglo descent...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not just a dump, a friggin cesspool of shit!  

you got that right!

lol...psst.  Let's not tell them about Mexico, Maine!  That town of ours is such a dive they named it after the country!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Simply redig / move the river north of El Paso.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#22]
How many Hispanics live in El Paso, legal or otherwise? It's already been assimilated!!! Mobilize the Marines!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Hell Paso is the armpit of america.  I was stationed at Ft Bliss for 3 yrs
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Uh, last I checked they don't have the power to ban people from their crappy city.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Because a city has been taken by the enemy and is under their control does not mean we will just relinquish it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Because a city has been taken by the enemy and is under their control does mean we will just relinquish it.

Yep, I think the city council should be hung as traitors
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Simply your drug dollars at work, folks.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Simply your drug dollars at work, folks.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same thing it says about same sex marriage and a few other perverse, but generally accepted social practices down there.

Wow.  I'm quoting 30 words and 153 [non-space] characters.  That's a whole heap o' false premises per word and per character.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#30]
tagg
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I'm quoting 30 words and 153 [non-space] characters.  That's a whole heap o' false premises per word and per character.

I have no idea what you just said, but in any case, I forgive you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There it is! The MOST disingenuous thing I have EVER read!

Just because you live in America and are an American citizen holding public office does NOT make you an American. I say we deport the city council.

It is disingenuous.  It's the thing of utmost importance my mind seized on while reading their piss-ant resolution.  I'm glad I'm not the first to point it out here.

Notice how they didn't use the word legal (or illegal) to qualify the term "immigrants."  

Oh, and two of the items within the motion/resolution are mutually-exclusive.  Another is an easy strawman (the last item before the actual motion/resolution).

The City Council of El Paso is fucking weak.  I'm tentatively "proud" of the lone "dissenter," pending clarification.  It says Lozano didn't vote the resolution, not that he actually and actively voted against it.

A true "7-to-1" decision suggests that he actually voted, but the way the last sentence of the following paragraph is worded, it could possibly follow that he abstained from the vote or was simply not present.

I'm thinking he actually voted against it, however, because it would be wrong to call it a 7-to-1 vote if the only person who didn't vote for it had abstained or was not present.  Then it would be a "7-to-0 vote, with 1 abstention."
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what you just said, but in any case, I forgive you.

False premise regarding Texas Constitution number:

1) Raising a Militia: Regardless of what the Texas Constitution actually says, the organization of a MMP division/unit/chapter/etc does not constitute the raising of a militia.

2) Same sex marriage: You seem to be suggesting it's allowed.

3) Other perverse, but generally accepted social practices: See above.

That said, apology accepted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Local gov. in EP is over 70% hispanic.

So what's the big surprise?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its people share a long and common cultural, economic, and social history with Ciudad Juarez, the State of Chihuahua, and the Country of Mexico; and

WHEREAS: The future prosperity of elected offical's campaign chests and global competitiveness of the El Paso and Cuidad Juarez border region will depend on a spirit of cooperation and good-will and the ability of local businesses to pay their illegal employees pennies on the dollar; and

WHEREAS: The citizens of the great City of El Paso, Texas want to ensure safe, legal passage of immigrants and visitors to our city and country and otherwise turn a blind eye to the problem; and

WHEREAS: The already-here illegals wish to see their inlaws without pesky details like immigration law entering into the situation; and

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its elected officials fully support duly authorized law enforcement officials in their continued failure due to lack of manpoer and political pressure in enforcing the rule of law concerning immigration regulations; and

WHEREAS: The City of El Paso and its elected officials firmly reject civilian attempts to enforce immigration law that is not being enforced surrently by the powers that be, including our local Police Department;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF EL PASO: That the City of El Paso strongly opposes the establishment of any "Minutemen" installments, or affiliated groups, in the City of El Paso, and would rather appease the thousands of potential voters and political contributors that are here illegally than actually stand for something.

Fixed it for you... don't know how that part got left out.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
False premise regarding Texas Constitution number:

1) Raising a Militia: Regardless of what the Texas Constitution actually says, the organization of a MMP division/unit/chapter/etc does not constitute the raising of a militia.

[Dr. Evil with a spanish accent]        Riiiiiight       [/Dr. Evil with a spanish accent]

2) Same sex marriage: You seem to be suggesting it's allowed.

Sorry, this is my bad, I was simply going off the mega gheyness I witness every time I accidentally click on a Texas Hometown Forum thread.  Damn those Active Topics!

3) Other perverse, but generally accepted social practices: See above.

See above

That said, apology accepted.

That said, you're welcome!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Had a buddy that worked for a school district PD in the El Paso area. He agreed to it's dump status. He's been to Mexico and several other latin american countries. He noticed almost NO diferences. He says the angloes that live there act like tourists. Unsure of where they are, unsure of what their doing, and feeling uneasy.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Im from El Paso its my home town...some of the best places Ive ever shot are in that area. some parts of it does stink(just like any other large city) a lot of you guys are judging the city for the actions of a few.......so if a gun was used in a crime then all guns are used in crime....at least thats how onesided you sound based on some of the posts.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been in and out of El Paso for years.  I has never struck me as uniquely bad.  It has some peculiar air pollution issues, but so does Houston.  It is not any worse than Alamagordo or Odessa or Amarillo.  Just a small town with a lot of through-traffic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Hokie - I'll see your gayness in the TXHTF and raise you one: There's some kinda sick, twisted TX/WA thing happening, which has been going on for some time (and which may be in violation of the Mann Act).  But enough about the Staff and Mods......

That said, people in Maine houses shouldn't throw stones!

Jake.

P.S. When did you move?

P.P.S. I sincerely hope the two of you were kidding about the militia bit.  See, U.S. Const., BoR, Amdt. 1, specifically re: speech, assembly, petition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top