Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
tuesday night i went down on my bike. i dont remember much of what happened because i was knocked out though. i was coming home on the highway about 2:30am and it was real foggy out. i remember breaking hard for something and my back tire skidding, and the rear of the bike shook enough for me to lose control. next thing i knew i woke up laying in a ditch, which had water in it. at that time the police had just pulled up and helped me out of the ditch. that was at 3:30am.

i felt ok then, should have went to the hospital, but didnt. cops gave me a ride home to get my truck and trailer to go pick up my bike.  i ended up going to the doc the next day because my wrist was swollen. i broke the scaphoid?? bone in my wrist. other than that im just sore and have some minor scrapes on my knees and hips.  also must have got poison ivy from the ditch, this has been the biggest pain in the ass so far. poison ivy sucks.

my leather jacket took some scrapes, joe rocket carbon fiber knuckeled gloves saved my hands completley as my hands have no marks, helmet has some scrapes on both sides, and my boots had a scrape on the toes.

bike isnt in that bad of shape, but im probably done riding for the season.

img385.imageshack.us/img385/6616/img20010ve.jpg

img390.imageshack.us/img390/2937/img20025rv.jpg

img390.imageshack.us/img390/7933/img20081by.jpg
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear you are ok and still able to post.  Good thing for the safety gear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn sad for that to happen to a nice Warrior. Have you figured up yet what parts you're going to need?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for not gettin too banged up & wearin a helmet.

Bike is easier to fix than a person, poison ivy is a bear tho...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Highsides suck. Trust me. It ain't the trip upwards that sucks, it's the sudden contact with what the Kennedy clan calls Terror Firmer.....Get well soon. And get back on the bike as soon as possible. It's the only way....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear you had an accident.  What type of highway were you on?  Was there cross traffic or was it an Interstate?  Do you remember if it was a car or an animal?

The problem with riding at night is that you have to try and not outride the distance of your lights.  If it is foggy the problem is worse.

I'm happy that you're not injured worse and I hope the injuries that you sustained heal quickly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you are alright! I've taken a spill too and I'm glad I was wearing my gear also .  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear the safety gear did its job!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked out a new helmet yet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear you had an accident.  What type of highway were you on?  Was there cross traffic or was it an Interstate?  Do you remember if it was a car or an animal?

The problem with riding at night is that you have to try and not outride the distance of your lights.  If it is foggy the problem is worse.

I'm happy that you're not injured worse and I hope the injuries that you sustained heal quickly.

it was just a two lane highway, i live in the country. im pretty sure it was a deer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That will buff right out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Good thing you made it.  I went down on some gravel earlier this month in Colorado.  Makin a pretty sharp left turn and car came around the corner as I was.  I went to the outer part of the lane and ran into a bit of gravel and slid off the road.  Wasnt goin too fast, and luckily I hit some really soft gravel.  All I got was a bent highway peg.

Congrats on makin it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was just a two lane highway, i live in the country. im pretty sure it was a deer.

That's what I was thinking.  I have had a few close calls with deer.  The area where I live is loaded with deer.  They are unpredictable, and I don't know what really works to scare them off.  

What do you guys think about deer whistles?  I have never tried them onmy bikes or cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the safety gear.  Glad you're still walkin' and talkin'.

I dumped my scoot avoiding an idiot who was pulling out into traffic from a private drive.  Busted my shin, helmet saved my head, other gear kept me from gettin' road rash.

Couple of month later, talking with a nieghbor who rides harleys, and he pulls the old "helmets are dangerous, they will break your neck" line.

Next week, he's backing his bike out of his driveway and gets nailed.  Busted up bad.  No helmet, no jacket and no gloves.

He quit riding.  I still ride.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to ask but were you drinking at all?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's what I was thinking.  I have had a few close calls with deer.  The area where I live is loaded with deer.  They are unpredictable, and I don't know what really works to scare them off.  

What do you guys think about deer whistles?  I have never tried them onmy bikes or cars.

I've heard that a .357 does wonders.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
+1 for the safety gear.  Glad you're still walkin' and talkin'.

I dumped my scoot avoiding an idiot who was pulling out into traffic from a private drive.  Busted my shin, helmet saved my head, other gear kept me from gettin' road rash.

Couple of month later, talking with a nieghbor who rides harleys, and he pulls the old "helmets are dangerous, they will break your neck" line.

Next week, he's backing his bike out of his driveway and gets nailed.  Busted up bad.  No helmet, no jacket and no gloves.

He quit riding.  I still ride.

Sheep

I respect the individuals right to choose, but somewhere Darwin is chuckling when stuff like this happens.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad the gear did it's job.  I wear at least a helmet, jacket and boots every time I ride.

The deer are bad in my area too.  I've almost quit riding at night because of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad your Ok.

On a positive note, at least the bike slammed down on the left side. More expensive parts on the right.

here's my history,

82 yamaha maxim 750
Totaled Doing burnout and bike grabbed too much traction and slipped my grip. Ended up at the bottom of a 70ft cliff. Still there today.

96 Harley Sportster
Totaled after loseing it in a turn, I hit the ditch and the bike ended up wrapped around a tree 25ft in the woods. Helmut saved the brains. Sore for 2 weeks.

Current ride is a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace 750 LE
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
glade your ok man, sry about the hand. Nice seat cover by the way
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Then why ask?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad that you are OK.

Couldn't have been too bad, don't see skid marks on your fur covered seat

Ancient Snapper you got there Camel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Glad your Ok.

On a positive note, at least the bike slammed down on the left side. More expensive parts on the right.

here's my history,

82 yamaha maxim 750
Totaled Doing burnout and bike grabbed too much traction and slipped my grip. Ended up at the bottom of a 70ft cliff. Still there today.

96 Harley Sportster
Totaled after loseing it in a turn, I hit the ditch and the bike ended up wrapped around a tree 25ft in the woods. Helmut saved the brains. Sore for 2 weeks.

Current ride is a 2002 Honda Shadow Ace 750 LE
i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/trashheap/IM000094.jpg

I think I spy homemade forward controls.

You on the ACE750 forum?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, homemade FWD's.

I was on the Ace forum for a while. trying to get an idea for jetting. after that. Well ......
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I only took me one MINOR spill on a bike to tell myself no more.

I have ridden maybe twice since that day, just buddies bike around the block.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Lucky.  Damn lucky.

On the poison ivy...
Don't touch the bike or clothing you were wearing without protection.  Use double the normal detergent in a small load, COLD water first.  Then repeat with warm and finally hot water.

On the bike, set it out in the sun for decon.  This works well but don't get near it.  A week in hot sun will get rid of most, followed by a good pressure washing.

The leather jacket?  Get rubber gloves and use baking soda paste.  Let sit for 10 minutes, then damp sponge and saddle soap.  Throw away the sponge and paper towels in plastic bags.  Let dry outside.

You have been exposed and are sensitive.  Further exposure can make it worse, see a doctor if it spreads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I always wear a helmet, gloves and Aerostitch jacket as a minimum. When I am without the AeroStitch pants and set of motorcycle specific boots I feel naked. Glad your not banged up to bad, as others have said get back on the bike soon. Perhaps a good set of HID lights is in the future?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

nope
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Deer worry me more than other motorists.  I am fairly observant and expect every car I see to try to kill me.  Those damn deer are like ninjas when it is dark out.  One second there is nothing but empty two-lane, next second a venison roadblock.  I don't ride much after dark just for that reason.

Glad you are ok,

Cavu
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Deer worry me more than other motorists.  I am fairly observant and expect every car I see to try to kill me.  Those damn deer are like ninjas when it is dark out.  One second there is nothing but empty two-lane, next second a venison roadblock.  I don't ride much after dark just for that reason.

Glad you are ok,

Cavu

Know what you mean. Have the same problem with the four-hooved demons. Always trying to dart out and kill me.

You're bike is in incredibly great shape for being in an accident. I've seen bikes in much less severe, low speed accidents in much worse shape. Straighten her out, and get back on her as soon as that wrist heals. Only way to get over it. After you heal physically, you have to heal mentally. Don't let it shake you too much, happens to the best riders.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I put the dual tone deer whistlers on each side of my front fenders shortly after I bought my Ace, they seem to be doing the job. I ride to work very early in the morning when deer are at their peek movement stage. So far so good. You can see them in the pic I posted on the first page. They're not too gawdy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Choosing to wear a helmet, like choosing to own a gun, is a personal choice and should be left up to the individual. That said, I am glad Camel is alright.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Protecting the melon in whatever your doing is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1 on a new helmet.

They are designed to absorb the impacts of one crash, and then need to be retired.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on a new helmet.

They are designed to absorb the impacts of one crash, and then need to be retired.

im gettin the same kind i had an hjc full face, also gotta get new gloves.

until now i didnt wear all my gear 100% of the time. i just started wearing my helmet 100% of the time two weeks ago. if i didnt have my gear on, i would have been real fucked up or dead from hitting my head. i havnt fully wrapped my head around that yet i dont think.

i will ride again, i will never ride again without gear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I was in Fruita Colorado on 8/8/05 when an SUV pulled out of a convenience store across the highway, the bike and the helmet saved the day, my 2002 Gold Wing was totaled, I had only minor injuries, skill and safety equipment makes a difference!

I have traveled 234,892 safe miles on motocycles, now I have to start all over again!

It's well documented that in over 90% of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, the threat is in front of you.  Loud pipes just make people mad at the noise, the primary danger is in front of you, the noise is behind you!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top