Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 3:18:32 PM EDT
Thought about taking it up for fun.

Anyone here play one?

How did you learn? What kind of Harmonica did you buy?

Any CD's, books or videos worth buying?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I play one, albiet not well.  MHohners is the brand I purchased.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you currently incarcerated?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Currently? No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Lee Oskars (the harp player with War, as in Low Rider).   www.leeoskar.com

Their tone is brighter than a Hohner, they seem to respond faster.

If you want to learn blues harp, there are several good books, but I can't remember the titles now.  Anyway, for blues harp, it is played what is known as "second position".  The tonic chord is draw, not blow.  (draw notes are easier to bend)  So, to play blues in G, you buy a C harmonica.  This puts the tonic chord as a draw G, then subdominiant chord is a blown C, and the dominant will be a drawn Dm... this gives you the blue or flattened 7th degree  (F natural in this case) of the scale.

And G is a good blues key for guitar.  For that you need a C harp.

Also, guitarists like E, for that you need a harp in A.

www.harmonicalessons.com  You can find books here, too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Hohners Blues harp.

thanks for reminding me. I ought to break mine out. Haven't seen it in years.

ETA there's a rumor going around that Asian girls LOVE harmonica players!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell yes. Been playing for years. Very restful, keeps me from smoking. Takes time to learn, that's all. I have three or four Hohners, Key of C, also a couple of blues harps.

rk
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a Hohner Chromatic back in the 70's. If the reeds don't stick I can play Dixie (CoC violation?) and fake some others. When my daughters come home I "practice" The Wedding
March
and promise them I will play it at their weddings- or fork over cash if they elope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Been playing since age 11.

Actually spent 12 years doing it for a living.

A harps players dream,   Sweet home Alabama!!!!

I would like to think I am also(except many have hidden my harp from me)the cushions of a couch are a good place to hide mine!!!!

Course I have been to big bear and played with the band at theCrash Inn(drunker than hell and playing cross harp)and thought we had a great old time!!!

It's really hard to know without praticeing when you are part of the band or just jazzing it!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top